Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada would study Airbus, Boeing for transatlantic narrowbody needs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada would study Airbus, Boeing for transatlantic narrowbody needs

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
They will have ample opportunity to observe the LR's performance at Transat should the deal ultimately go through.
Old May 20, 2020, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then there is the choice between the 321LR and the newer XLR. One might expect the latter would end up more attractive.
Old May 20, 2020, 6:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
Then there is the choice between the 321LR and the newer XLR. One might expect the latter would end up more attractive.
The XLR offers more capability, but also costs more. If the LR fulfills the mission criteria, no need to pay extra. Who knows what AC is thinking at the moment, but I did find it interesting that he specifically mentioned the LR rather than XLR.
Old May 20, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
What is the dead date on the MAX deal continuing? Do we know, or is it obfuscated since the AC/Boeing MAX deal was in lieu of a more serious lawsuit because of other Boeing stupidity?
Old May 20, 2020, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by RangerNS
What is the dead date on the MAX deal continuing? Do we know, or is it obfuscated since the AC/Boeing MAX deal was in lieu of a more serious lawsuit because of other Boeing stupidity?
Don't know but the AC guy in the Forbes interview seemed pretty definitive that "“We’ve come to terms with Boeing already,” he said. “There won’t be any more adjustments from what we had already negotiated.”" I assume from that quote that AC will be taking all the remaining 7M8's (assuming they gain certification).
Old May 21, 2020, 8:11 pm

Damn...to think we might be going back to the 1960s era of narrowbody longhaul flights...but with even less comfort or quality of service than back then. Talk about retrograde.
Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
Yes but now with COVID is AC really that keen to replace the 11 MAX aircraft its reduced from its firm Boeing MAX order? Or would AC try to get a contact signed with Airbus for 11 A321LR that wouldn't be delivered for 3 - 4 years dovetailing with anticipated return of air traffic to pre-COVID levels at that time?
Airlines don't think about what needs replacing now, they're more proactive, and look a decade or further in advance. The -9s would not have been delivered within that 3-4 year timeframe, so it's entirely reasonable to be looking for a replacement now and be ready for increased demand later.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I can only hope that AC decides to go with the A321LR or XLR. These aircraft are 1000x better than the MAX, it is literally no comparison.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by codfather
I can only hope that AC decides to go with the A321LR or XLR. These aircraft are 1000x better than the MAX, it is literally no comparison.
Really? What if they put 28" pitch in the 321(X)LR and don't get the pivot bins? And put in the same crappy micro-lavs that they have in the 7M8?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Really? What if they put 28" pitch in the 321(X)LR and don't get the pivot bins? And put in the same crappy micro-lavs that they have in the 7M8?
I would hope that they wouldn't do this! One thing I really miss going from the A320 family to the 7M8 is the seat width. It is a little bit wider on A320 family aircraft when compared with the 737.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would hope that they wouldn't do this!
Of course they will. What do you expect?

One thing I really miss going from the A320 family to the 7M8 is the seat width. It is a little bit wider on A320 family aircraft when compared with the 737.
That they they cannot play with. :-).
Old May 21, 2020, 9:15 pm

I would hope that they wouldn't do this! One thing I really miss going from the A320 family to the 7M8 is the seat width. It is a little bit wider on A320 family aircraft when compared with the 737.
Yes, but the point is that cabin configuration is hugely important in how comfortable a plane is. The airframe is a metal (or composite) tube and it's really up to the airline what to do with it. Seat width is only one factor.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 21, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.