Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada does NOT make top 20 list of safest airlines

Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:10 am
Original Member
Original Poster

"The top 20 are: Air New Zealand, Alaska Airlines, All Nippon Airways, American Airlines, Austrian Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Emirates, EVA Air, Finnair, Hawaiian Airlines, KLM, Lufthansa, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Scandinavian Airline System, Singapore Airlines, Swiss, and United Airlines and Virgin group of airlines (Atlantic and Australia)."

"AirlineRatings also pinpointed the top 10 low-cost airlines with the best safety records.

In alphabetical order, the top 10 safest budget airlines are:
Flybe, Frontier, HK Express, Jetblue, Jetstar Australia / Asia, Thomas Cook, Volaris, Vueling, Westjet and Wizz."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-safest-airlines-2019/index.html
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:16 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
A lot of mainline (and perfectly safe) airlines didn't make that list. Trust me, there is a tremendous gap between the mainline airlines that you recognize and the ones that independent risk/rating companies consider 'unsafe'.
nancypants and trooper like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:22 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
The bigger point to me is AC was always on that list and now isn't. If you have followed the steady streams of incidents and near-misses (AC was very lucky to have no fatalities in at least 2 cases I can think of) over the last decade you are not surprised by this omission. Something changed at AC and not for the better. Believe this is being addressed by management.

I would still get on an AC plane in an instant before the pitchforks come out.
gcashin and arf04 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I did happen to notice that most of the 20 safest airlines don't do things like proceed to land the plane even after ATC tells them multiple times to go around, or try to sit the jet down on crowded taxiways.

Coincidence? Me thinks not.
rankourabu, jc94, yscleo and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Cue the same people who in previous years embraced this list as gospel to now say its nonsense.
mellon and maradori like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AC 75K
I believe it's been a few years since AC has been on this list.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KenHamer
"The top 20 are: Air New Zealand, Alaska Airlines, All Nippon Airways, American Airlines, Austrian Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Emirates, EVA Air, Finnair, Hawaiian Airlines, KLM, Lufthansa, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Scandinavian Airline System, Singapore Airlines, Swiss, and United Airlines and Virgin group of airlines (Atlantic and Australia)."

"AirlineRatings also pinpointed the top 10 low-cost airlines with the best safety records.

In alphabetical order, the top 10 safest budget airlines are:
Flybe, Frontier, HK Express, Jetblue, Jetstar Australia / Asia, Thomas Cook, Volaris, Vueling, Westjet and Wizz."

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/w...019/index.html
I think AC gets a lot of things wrong, but picking on AC for not making this ridiculous list is clearly trolling. Why didn't you post this in the Delta forum? They didn't make it either.
canadiancow and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where is comment that scRouge did not make the top 10 budget airline list?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by acysb87
Where is comment that scRouge did not make the top 10 budget airline list?
Rouge is not a budget airline. It's a no-service airline at mainline prices.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:12 pm

This whole top 20 list is all nonsense and clickbait IMHO. If you go to Airline Ratings and search AC you'll find that they also have a 7 Star rating. As much as I joke about the service (or lack there of) on certain AC flights, overall they're a very safe airline. Granted, there were some close calls (HKG, SFO and YHZ come to mind in the last 3 years). Compare that to the likes of Lion Air or Malaysia Air and one can see there's clearly no contest. Can improvements be made to AC's safety record? Absolutely! But don't tell me that they're inherently unsafe. In my years of flying in the kettle across a variety of airlines, there are only 2 airlines I've flown in my life where I felt unsafe: MS and MH.

-James
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Rouge is not a budget airline. It's a no-service airline at mainline prices.
All in the eyes of the beholder when it comes to scRouge.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
This whole top 20 list is all nonsense and clickbait IMHO. If you go to Airline Ratings and search AC you'll find that they also have a 7 Star rating. As much as I joke about the service (or lack there of) on certain AC flights, overall they're a very safe airline. Granted, there were some close calls (HKG, SFO and YHZ come to mind in the last 3 years). Compare that to the likes of Lion Air or Malaysia Air and one can see there's clearly no contest. Can improvements be made to AC's safety record? Absolutely! But don't tell me that they're inherently unsafe. In my years of flying in the kettle across a variety of airlines, there are only 2 airlines I've flown in my life where I felt unsafe: MS and MH.

-James
Lion Air has had one major incident in the past three years. AC (mainline) has had at least three and its subsidiaries more still. So what's your point?

Last edited by Symmetre; Jan 14, 2019 at 2:26 pm Reason: Added photos for fun and good times
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
LionAir has had one major incident in the past three years. AC has had at least three. So what's your point?
I guess you're not considering a runway overrun, nose gear collapse, and crashing a wing into a pole while taxiing as a "major incident"?

That's not even counting being short of the runway and landing in the ocean, and a landing so hard, it had a force of almost 4G on the 4th bounce and bent the fuselage, multiple incidents where the aircraft was damaged beyond repair, and an accident with 25 fatalities. Granted many of these are a number of years ago, but to say AC's record is worse that JT's is a bit of a stretch. JT's subsidiaries are no better.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Jan 14, 2019 at 2:28 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I guess you're not considering a runway overrun, nose gear collapse, and crashing a wing into a pole while taxiing as a "major incident"?

That's not even counting being short of the runway and landing in the ocean, and a landing so hard, it had a force of almost 4G on the 4th bounce and bent the fuselage, multiple incidents where the aircraft was damaged beyond repair, and an accident with 25 fatalities. Granted many of these are a number of years ago, but to say AC's record is worse that JT's is a bit of a stretch. JT's subsidiaries are no better.
Being short of the runway ... like AC624?

I stand corrected - aviation safety.net lists three major incidents for Lion Air in the past three years. Same number as AC mainline.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Being short of the runway ... like AC624?

I stand corrected - aviation safety.net lists three major incidents for Lion Air in the past three years. Same number as AC mainline.
I never disputed AC's record, just your misleading statements that JT has had one major incident in the last 3 years.
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.