Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

UA *G seat selection on Rouge flights

Old Jan 11, 19, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: *bucks Gold

Will being a UA *G allow me to sit in a premium seat or in an exit row on a Rouge flight to Peru for free? If not allowed over the phone/online, has anyone had success requesting these seats either at check-in, in the lounge, or at the gate?
Old Jan 11, 19, 1:03 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
UA *G does not confer any seat selection privileges on Air Canada flights.
Old Jan 11, 19, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: *bucks Gold
*tears streaming emoji*
Old Jan 11, 19, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
You can however access the premium seats by paying a fee.

There was a time when things were different but then UA stopped allowing Star Golds to get free access to Economy Plus seats and airlines like AC decided to return the favour.
Old Jan 11, 19, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post

There was a time when things were different but then UA stopped allowing Star Golds to get free access to Economy Plus seats and airlines like AC decided to return the favour.
It wasn't a matter of "returning the favo(u)r". It was a matter of AC wanting to fleece as many passengers as it could when it comes to seat-selection. Same thing for UA. These airlines find customers easily replaceable and think of passengers as sheep to be fleeced regardless of how much "wool"/business the customers have given them before.
Old Jan 11, 19, 5:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
It wasn't a matter of "returning the favo(u)r". It was a matter of AC wanting to fleece as many passengers as it could when it comes to seat-selection. Same thing for UA. These airlines find customers easily replaceable and think of passengers as sheep to be fleeced regardless of how much "wool"/business the customers have given them before.
​​​​​​
or a carefully orchestrated balance of available good seats and native status PAX.
Old Jan 11, 19, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
​​​​​​
or a carefully orchestrated balance of available good seats and native status PAX.
Maybe at AC, but not at UA. UA was all about the money from the get-go of cutting of OAL*Gs for those seats.
Old Jan 11, 19, 6:10 am

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Originally Posted by GUM_elite View Post
Will being a UA *G allow me to sit in a premium seat or in an exit row on a Rouge flight to Peru for free? If not allowed over the phone/online, has anyone had success requesting these seats either at check-in, in the lounge, or at the gate?
What's the ticket stock? If it's on UA stock, I've had success calling in to AC and saying, "Hey I'm on UA xxxx and want to select my E+ seating. I called UA and they said to call you since you were the operating carrier of the flight." (where xxxx is the codeshare flight number). This is one of the reasons I'll have my domestic Canada flights ticketed by UA rather than AC (pricing being equal), then I'll act surprised when I show up to the airport and see an AC aircraft, "oh, UA must've ran out of aircraft and had to get AC to operate this flight," I'll say to the FA having proudly worn my UA t-shirt and ball cap that day. I hear such an approach creates endearment between you and the crew ! That being said, don't expect to be on a CPU list nor for the ability to apply GPU/RPUs to the flight since AC isn't as classy as NH or LH.

Also having flown Rogue, I can confidently say that those preferred seats on AC won't help your sore butt afterwards. What you need is Premium Rogue to have any semblance of comfort which you may be able to get in either through:In any event, if it's a a couple hundred Canadian pesos, it's definitely worth it. If AC is being AC and the upgrade is close to $1000 I'd say it's not worth it, especially since that route doesn't have lie flats.

In case you're worried about whether Rogue flights confer other UA Gold benefits (i.e. lounge access, priority everything, additional bag allowance), I can tell you from experience that they do, even though Rogue is under a separate banner on AC.

Hope that provides some guidance.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 11, 19, 7:02 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Flying Rouge Y will certainly result in a "sore butt" (especially on what I assume is YYZ LIM) but paying for a Preferred Seat will lower the odds of "sore knees" to go along with it. Depending upon your height.

If you booked it on AC 014 stock, also call AC and ask about the upfare cost which will get you the additional AQM (125% vs 50%/100%) too. Looking at random dates later this year I see about a $300 difference from Standard.
Each way. PR was cheaper than Flex by > $150, again, both ways ... Here's the return options I see on ac.com (again, random dates, this was September) so should be pretty open right now.

Clearly if your flight is tomorrow, PR is likely to be a lot more than $187 more. So will a LMU.
Old Jan 11, 19, 9:22 am

Programs: E50k, Fairmont Plat, MR/SPG Gold
I flew YYZ - LIM sitting in 28 K. The leg room difference between that and the standard economy is night and day. I am 6'1 and I was able to fully straighten my legs and sleep most of the flight.

100% worth the extra fee/flying in a normal economy would not be bearable.
Old Jan 11, 19, 9:46 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by skiereric View Post
I flew YYZ - LIM sitting in 28 K. The leg room difference between that and the standard economy is night and day. I am 6'1 and I was able to fully straighten my legs and sleep most of the flight.

100% worth the extra fee/flying in a normal economy would not be bearable.
Congratulations. You are now the second human I know of who can sleep in Rouge Y But yes I agree and found even 4h pretty bad.

I couldn’t believe how bad 31” was, 30” just blows my mind. It’s been some time since I flew Y without a preferred seat and you have a few cm on me.
Old Jan 11, 19, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum

actually for years AC gold got access to E+ seats, but UA gold got nothing on AC, in part probably because AC had nothing to offer.
Old Jan 11, 19, 1:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post

I couldn’t believe how bad 31” was, 30” just blows my mind. It’s been some time since I flew Y without a preferred seat and you have a few cm on me.
Try 29” on the 319’s . I was rouged YYC-LAS when those flying torture chambers debuted (had booked trip on mainline). I haven’t flown rouge, or AC, since.
Old Jan 11, 19, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mellon View Post
actually for years AC gold got access to E+ seats, but UA gold got nothing on AC, in part probably because AC had nothing to offer.
IIRC you could call in and get bulkhead or exit row as a star gold.
Old Jan 11, 19, 4:48 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
IIRC you could call in and get bulkhead or exit row as a star gold.
You are correct, back in the UACO days seat selection was possible and free for UA Golds and above regardless of ticket stock. That changed around late '16 (I recall arguing with the agent about this and her relenting and saying she'll make an exception this one time). Combine that and the reduction in bag allowance for us UA elites and is it any wonder why we choose UA?

Still doesn't hurt to try calling it in and acting dumb... "Well the last time I flew you folks back in 2015 seat assignment was free". All things being equal I'll try and get my AC ticket on UA stock or use an AC flight pass which grants free seat selection.

-James

-James

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: