Wiki Posts
Search

Upfare an Expedia ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Upfare an Expedia ticket

I have an Expedia AC ticket.
Would like to change the comfort to a flex fare. Believe I can do this for fare difference. AC agrees that this is legit but won't let me do it and won't let Expedia do it.

Any ideas?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:43 pm

You need to phone Expedia and have them do it. AC won't typically touch a travel agent booking unless travel has begun.

I assume you want to change flex to comfort? If you're changing comfort to flex there is no point as you won't get a refund for the fare difference.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Old Tango to flex. Sorry, names change too often
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:52 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by annehamnitz
I have an Expedia AC ticket.
Would like to change the comfort to a flex fare. Believe I can do this for fare difference. AC agrees that this is legit but won't let me do it and won't let Expedia do it.

Any ideas?
It's more like Expedia will not let AC do it. Once AC touches ticket, Expedia loses their commission. Plus, I think Expedia buy net tickets.
This is why I always buy tickets direct from the airline, unless I get a great net ticket fare.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Told (via Twitter) that I can upfare without change fee but must do it through Expedia. Expedia told (directly X2) that they cannot upfare without a $200 change fee. Told to talk to Expedia help desk. Did that and no go.

So, I have AC twitter telling me I can do what no one will let me do.
Presume AC doesn't like Expedia and prefers to make it difficult.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:22 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by annehamnitz
Told (via Twitter) that I can upfare without change fee but must do it through Expedia. Expedia told (directly X2) that they cannot upfare without a $200 change fee. Told to talk to Expedia help desk. Did that and no go.

So, I have AC twitter telling me I can do what no one will let me do.
Presume AC doesn't like Expedia and prefers to make it difficult.
It's not about AC not liking Expedia or making it more difficult. Most likely Expedia bought a net ticket(Discounted) and sells them for a profit. Therefor, you have to deal with Expedia. The $200 change fee is Expedia service fee for changing the ticket. By asking AC, it is basically asking a istore to take back a phone you got from Rogers. It's not going to happen.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Expedia tells me that it is an AirCanada change fee. Air Canada tells me it is easy for Expedia.

I've given up. Hate it when everyone lies to me.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Competent TAs CAN upfare AC tickets without collecting an AC change fee. AC's rules allow for it and I have done it.

The problem here is that your TA doesn't know how to it or doesn't care to invest any effort in saving you $200, which should prompt you to choose a different TA (or buy directly from AC) next time.
bawm, balexis and Aselwyn like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Would showing up on day on travel early and talk to AC ticketing at airport help make this happen? On day of travel, ticket goes under AC control. But then the fare difference would presumably be much higher. Speaking of OTA like Expedia or Flightnetwork, it never shows the fare rules or fare code at any stage of the booking. How do I know what I am actually booking? In this age of transparency, why is this not possible with OTA?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100k
If you provide the fare basis, maybe somebody on here can look up the published change fees for you. You can find the fare basis on the e-ticket. It’s been years and years since I’ve booked anything on Expedia — can you download the full e-ticket on their web site? If not, you can usually pull it up on the Saudia website if you provide the e-ticket number.

If you know what the fare rules say regarding change fees, that will give you some ammunition in dealing with Expedia. Having dealt with them in the past, my bet is that they’re screwing you around. I’m generally happy to use travel agents (online and otherwise) if they can get me a better deal, but I stopped using Expedia for a reason!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Competent TAs CAN upfare AC tickets without collecting an AC change fee. AC's rules allow for it and I have done it.

The problem here is that your TA doesn't know how to it or doesn't care to invest any effort in saving you $200, which should prompt you to choose a different TA (or buy directly from AC) next time.
The problem is that her TA wants to charge a change fee. And then claims it's AC...Friends don't let friends book through Expedia (and the like).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

+1.
I do this with Egencia (corp branch of Expedia) and they can upfare for free though they do charge me a service fee of $15 I believe. You do off course need to find a agent that knows what to do - I have had agents that have told me about the $200 change fee and when I explain it is not a change, it is a upfare they go away, confer with someone more knowledgeable and voila, no $200 fee.
I suspect the Expedia call centre agents are the most junior and are just quoting you the $200 change fee. If they talk to AC, there should not be a change fee.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Stranger
The problem is that her TA wants to charge a change fee. And then claims it's AC...Friends don't let friends book through Expedia (and the like).
They most likely are quoting the actual AC change fee, and just not understanding that it doesn't apply to upfares.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They most likely are quoting the actual AC change fee, and just not understanding that it doesn't apply to upfares.
Posible. But surely they still add their own fee on top of it. No matter how you look, always a bad idea to book through them. Ditto about hotels, they are good for searching. But when it comes to booking, aways better to deal directly with the hotel. Keep the parasites out of the loop and give your money to the folks who actually provide the service.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:10 pm

If it was bought within the last 24 hours you may be able to just cancel it for a full refund then rebook whatever you want. As others have pointed, the second you involve a TA (particularly an OTA) things can get very messy fast.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason you have in mind for doing the up-fare? Depending on what your needs are there may be other ways of getting what you want!

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.