Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: How to have my Air Canada Altitude Status for 2019 Reviewed?

Question: How to have my Air Canada Altitude Status for 2019 Reviewed?

Old Jan 10, 19, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Question How to have my Air Canada Altitude Status for 2019 Reviewed?

I finished 2018 a measly 700 AQM shy of the 50K threshold, while my AQD were well in excess of the required threshold (I spent over 10K....before taxes and other charges!) for Elite 50K status. I got an automated message saying I could retain my 50K status by paying ~$800! I was hoping for some advice on how to convince AC that I should be granted 50K status without coughing up more money. Not that it matters, but I have been 50K for 8-9/10 last years and was 35K the other years. In hindsight, the big mileage haircut when I booked a couple of flight segments at the Tango fare level (which BTW seems particularly harsh for Canadians travelling within Canada vs. non residents) is what did me in. If anyone has had a similar experience, or has any suggestions on how to go about making my case, I would much appreciate it.
Old Jan 10, 19, 9:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, IHG Gold
Speaking without any experience in this matter but with vast experience in cynicism I can suggest 2 different options to get AC to grant you status:

1. Pay AC $800.
2. Go back in time, check your mileage tracker and realize youíre a $200 flight away from status and then book it.
Dolphin2, flyquiet and jc94 like this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:29 pm

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
Email [email protected] and plead your case
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:14 pm

And check for any flights that youíve flown which didnít post
Old Jan 11, 19, 1:49 am
Original Poster

thanks!
Old Jan 11, 19, 6:19 am

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Originally Posted by monkai View Post
In a similar vein, you may want to audit the flights that have posted and check that:
  1. The number of miles posted is the correct amount (AC and others have been known to accidentally mis-calculate the number of miles flown based on fare class)
  2. IRROP flights have been credited at whatever is favourable (original routing credit (ORC) or the revised credit).
To give you an example for item 2: I recently flew SIN->YYZ on UA. Originally that flight was SIN->LAX->SFO->YYZ all on UA metal. However, a couple months before the trip UA canned SIN->LAX service so they rebooked me to SIN->SFO making the new trip SIN->SFO->YYZ. While that made my travel experience better it lopped off a good 500 miles from the trip due to the dropping of the LAX->SFO segment. Called UA and requested the ORC and they added it to my account no problem. While it didn't make a difference to me in terms of qualifications (I was at around 56,000 PQM well above the threshold) this may result in me getting a better "upgrade to Platinum" in 2 weeks.

As for point 1, I had a colleague who called me frantically last month in the exact same situation as you. I'm 400 miles away from re-qualifying as Gold on UA and am done flying * for the rest of the year. Told them to log in to their account and we started going through the account. Surprisingly one segment in a connecting flight with a * partner did not post to their UA account which would've given them 500 miles. Submitted the missing miles request to UA and bam, their PQM was then at 50,148 miles.

Best of luck and Safe Travels,

James
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 19, 7:27 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canopus27 View Post
Email [email protected] and plead your case
From my experience, they will auto-reply that they'll take a look in March. Then ignore you until March. Then tell you no.

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope View Post
Speaking without any experience in this matter but with vast experience in cynicism I can suggest 2 different options to get AC to grant you status:

1. Pay AC $800.
2. Go back in time, check your mileage tracker and realize youíre a $200 flight away from status and then book it.
While I'm not sure I'd have been quite that blunt, paying AC the offer is pretty much the only guaranteed way to get E50k. Is it worth $800? That depends upon your flying habits for 2019 and what you will get from E50k that you won't from E35k. We have many many other wonderful threads for that.

Originally Posted by monkai View Post
Though it's worth checking this first. And also for additional AQM, especially if you say flew Comfort (with 15%?) extra AQM. At one point Comfort was meant to offer 185% AQM or something, but wasn't reliably posting accurately.
Old Jan 11, 19, 7:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Definitely worth checking to see if anything is missing, as others have suggested, but I would hold off chasing AC for now. AC has been known, at times, to grant status to those who have slightly missed the target. There's no guarantee that will happen, but maybe just wait and see for a few weeks. As jc94 said, they won't even look at a request until March anyway.

As an illustration, my wife was in a very similar situation a couple of years ago - about 500 miles short of 50K, way over the AQD - and she was granted E50K without any intervention from me.
Old Jan 11, 19, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Definitely worth checking to see if anything is missing, as others have suggested, but I would hold off chasing AC for now. AC has been known, at times, to grant status to those who have slightly missed the target. There's no guarantee that will happen, but maybe just wait and see for a few weeks. As jc94 said, they won't even look at a request until March anyway.

As an illustration, my wife was in a very similar situation a couple of years ago - about 500 miles short of 50K, way over the AQD - and she was granted E50K without any intervention from me.
I'd be curious to know if AC knew she was the spouse of an SE.
Old Jan 11, 19, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I'd be curious to know if AC knew she was the spouse of an SE.
Highly unlikely.
Old Jan 11, 19, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Highly unlikely.
Quite right. That would be ambitious for any company let alone AC.
Old Jan 12, 19, 8:58 am

Quite right. That would be ambitious for any company let alone AC.
I can't imagine it would be that hard for a company that was determined - we live at the same address, have the same last name and frequently travel on the same flights, often on the same PNR. AC definitely has the data to figure out, with a high probability, that we're related.

The closeness of our ages, which they have on file through Aeroplan, would tell them that there's no parent-child relationship, and the fact that she changed her name to Smith a few years back should pretty much nail it for them that we're married.

On top of that, if the data suggested a conclusion but they wanted some further support, I'm sure that YYC concierges could easily tell them that she's my wife.

So it's definitely possible, and I don't think it's all that difficult, for AC to determine, with a very high degree of confidence, that she's my wife.

I just doubt that AC's systems, as they're currently set up, could gather all that data and come to that conclusion. After all, the website can't pick up all of your bookings when you log in. The app does, but not Aeroplan bookings. And so on and so forth.

The much more logical conclusion is that either the algorithm or the human reviewing my wife's numbers decided that, based on her high AQD, and/or from having gone from zero status to 50K in a year, or some other factor that they liked, it was worth comping her the higher status.

Which is what I'm saying might happen to OP. Of course, there's no guarantee, and OP is slightly more short of the AQM than my wife was, but he may also have a few more AQD. But I'm also not sure whether they were doing status buy-ups yet at that time - this would have been the 2016 qualification year (i.e. 2017-18 benefit year).