Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Earning AQDs but using other *Gold program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E35k, VA Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott GE, Hertz PC

Hi,

I have recently relocated to Canada from Australia where I was ANZ Airpoints Gold (= *Gold). I want to build up my AC status - need to earn AQDs to do so... but I also want to retain my *Gold benefits (such as Priority Baggage & Priority Seating) when travelling. Is there a way to do this?

For additional context, I had previously booked a ticket with my Airpoints number then switched to my Aeroplan number in the lounge before the flight. This enabled me to keep all the benefits while earning in the program of my choice... however this did not allow me to earn AQDs.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 30andCounting

For additional context, I had previously booked a ticket with my Airpoints number then switched to my Aeroplan number in the lounge before the flight. This enabled me to keep all the benefits while earning in the program of my choice... however this did not allow me to earn AQDs.
To earn AQDs either the fligt has to be operated by AC, or it ha to be issued on AC (014) stock. Was that the case?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Yes. Both flights were operated by AC and issued on AC stock. The only thing that wasn't AC / Aeroplan was the FFP number I initially used - my Air NZ # to get the *Gold benefits - which I changed in the lounge to Aeroplan before departure.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Is there a way to do this?
Yes. Both flights were operated by AC and issued on AC stock. The only thing that wasn't AC / Aeroplan was the FFP number I initially used - my Air NZ # to get the *Gold benefits - which I changed in the lounge to Aeroplan before departure.
Looks like you've found a way to do this.

Added: As per @RangerNS below, give it a week.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
How long have you been waiting for AQD to show up, OP? It usually has a lag, which sometimes can be a very long time.

If it has been longer than a week since between the AQM posting, I'd file a request to have it looked into.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum, Nexus/GE
If your flight was in 2019, it is entirely possible that they haven't calculated the AQD for it yet. AQD typically show up a couple of days after the flight post to Aeroplan. If you are still missing AQD after 14 days, you can file the form for AQD discrepancy and they should be able to credit them. I don't think changing frequent flyer number has any impacts on AQD especially since you got the flight credited to Aeroplan.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all. That's probably what has happened. I assumed they would both show up at the same time and when they didn't, figured my approach didn't work. Appreciate you confirming this strategy works.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yultraveler
If your flight was in 2019, it is entirely possible that they haven't calculated the AQD for it yet. AQD typically show up a couple of days after the flight post to Aeroplan. If you are still missing AQD after 14 days, you can file the form for AQD discrepancy and they should be able to credit them. I don't think changing frequent flyer number has any impacts on AQD especially since you got the flight credited to Aeroplan.
My AQDs from Sunday Jan 6 have posted already.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:42 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I assumed they would both show up at the same time and when they didn't, figured my approach didn't work.
Welcome to Canada, flying AC and the AC FT!

You will quickly find that AC's IT is generally terrible and full of frustrating nuggets like this. It's often a consequence of layering one new thing after another on top of much older stuff. That's an issue for many airlines (and banks and health care providers), but AC is especially bad at hiding it. AC also has a very bad IT contract with IBM that results in a lot of solutions being patchwork in nature and full of additional bugs.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
My AQDs from Sunday Jan 6 have posted already.
And I'm still waiting on my December 23 AQD.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Please note that a number of posts have been deleted as they strayed fairly far from OP's query which has been answered fully so let's please continue the wider FFP debates in other threads.Future off topic posts will be deleted.

tcook052
Ac forum Mod.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.