Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Curious about AC's policy on lights out on daytime longhauls...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa

Thought I would put this out to the collected minds here and hopefully someone from AC will see and respond too. Just back home from SCL. The flight departed late to YYZ at 11:15am, Lunch was served around 12:30 and then cleared by 1:30. Then PE and Y were plunged into darkness - not even any mood lighting - and the windows were centrally faded to black. So there we were (we were in PE) sitting in the pitch black all the way to YYZ in the middle of the day! I overrode my window 3 times to let in some light but each time after 10 mins it was returned to black. On my 4th attempt, it would not lighten up at all. So what gives? Is this the crew's way of keeping the masses subdued and undemanding? Once the meal was served, the ccrew disappeared until the snack (served in the semi dark). Then back to darkness! The light meal mentioned on the menu never appeared and no announcement was made about that. Our friends in "Signature Service" reported that their lights did not go out but the port side of the aircraft DID receive their second meal but the starboard side did not! It was a weird flight for sure but was wondering if this lights out issue was official policy. In case AC thinks otherwise, your passengers don't want to sit in the dark for 10 hours on a daytime flight....
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly
Is this the crew's way of keeping the masses subdued and undemanding?
Yes, absolutely this is the case. And it really irritates me! Typical AC attitude: customers are a nuisance.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:00 pm
k22

Programs: ACSE 100K 1MM
Not only does it irritate me, I call the incharge and demand I be allowed to access light through my window, As far as I'm concerned, getting access to daylight when it's available is all part of minimising jet lag. If others want to sleep, they can always wear eye shades.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by k22
Not only does it irritate me, I call the incharge and demand I be allowed to access light through my window, As far as I'm concerned, getting access to daylight when it's available is all part of minimising jet lag. If others want to sleep, they can always wear eye shades.
Exaclty and I do the same. A good example of the misery of daytime flights is AC 15. Departure time is 10 am. Assume drinks, nuts and meal service and such is done by 1pm. I have no intention of sleeping at that point and I find many in the cabin are awake.

On my flights to HKG, TPE and NRT, there are many in the cabin who are working. I've also been in PE and Y on some long-hauls and seen some struggle to work in the darkened cabin. I feel for them. And most in Y don't bring their own eyeshades although many have noise-cancelling headphones.

I am not sure of a solution or happy balance but I also ask the SD to unlock the window shade.

AC 8 is the opposite for me. Assuming it departs close to on time at 8pm, I thank the crew and let them know I'm going to sleep. If I'm hungry, I'll eat when I wake up. I've seen others do the same.

As with all things AC and all things where humans are involved, YMMV
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Originally Posted by 24left
Exaclty and I do the same. A good example of the misery of daytime flights is AC 15. Departure time is 10 am. Assume drinks, nuts and meal service and such is done by 1pm. I have no intention of sleeping at that point and I find many in the cabin are awake.

On my flights to HKG, TPE and NRT, there are many in the cabin who are working. I've also been in PE and Y on some long-hauls and seen some struggle to work in the darkened cabin. I feel for them. And most in Y don't bring their own eyeshades although many have noise-cancelling headphones.

I am not sure of a solution or happy balance but I also ask the SD to unlock the window shade.

AC 8 is the opposite for me. Assuming it departs close to on time at 8pm, I thank the crew and let them know I'm going to sleep. If I'm hungry, I'll eat when I wake up. I've seen others do the same.

As with all things AC and all things where humans are involved, YMMV
Same experience yesterday on AC15. After Dinner (which is really lunch), the aircraft is literally mothballed with the on-call FA's retreating to the back galley and the cabins placed in darkness. The lighting is only partially turned on when the noddles are handed out at departure + 9 hours. I work during the entire flight, especially now that it has wifi. I was in 14D but if I was at a window, I would have had it opened.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
The 787 window lockout feature really annoys me.

I don't have a problem with the crew forcing all the windows to shade position 'X' (basically managing the pax who are sleeping, or just not paying attention)

I do have a big problem when the crew force that shade position to stay, even if/when the passengers are trying to override it.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canopus27
The 787 window lockout feature really annoys me.

I don't have a problem with the crew forcing all the windows to shade position 'X' (basically managing the pax who are sleeping, or just not paying attention)

I do have a big problem when the crew force that shade position to stay, even if/when the passengers are trying to override it.
One passenger opening their shade is opening it for the whole cabin.

If 28/30 are trying to sleep, I don't care what the other two want. The shades should stay closed.

If 28/30 want them open, that's a different matter.

But at some point, an individual passenger's desire should not be allowed to negatively impact the majority.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow

If 28/30 are trying to sleep, I don't care what the other two want. The shades should stay closed.

But at some point, an individual passenger's desire should not be allowed to negatively impact the majority.
A passenger whose behaviour disturbs many others is likely to be asked politely to refrain, either by crew or another passenger. This sort of boorish behaviour is thus inherently self regulating.

When it's the cabin crew themselves who are abusing their window shade privileges there is a lot less recourse for anyone impacted by it.

Sure, you can complain to the SD, but locking the window shades for the entire duration of a daytime intercontinental flight isn't something done on a whim by a rogue FA. The SDs who condone and tolerate this behaviour from the crews they're supposed to be managing are more than capable of ignoring the protestations of a $5K+ paying passenger or two.
arf04, Dolphin2, ridefar and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sram
Same experience yesterday on AC15. After Dinner (which is really lunch), the aircraft is literally mothballed with the on-call FA's retreating to the back galley and the cabins placed in darkness. The lighting is only partially turned on when the noddles are handed out at departure + 9 hours. I work during the entire flight, especially now that it has wifi. I was in 14D but if I was at a window, I would have had it opened.
How do you adjust to local time in Asia as going to bed around 10pm there upon arrival would mean a 30hr day?

I usually sleep 4-5hrs after lunch/dinner on AC15 which is enough to keep me going until bedtime in HKG or Asia. I also like to have the blinds open the remaining time after waking up so that I feel like it is daytime flight for the remaining 7hrs.
The Lev likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
How do you adjust to local time in Asia as going to bed around 10pm there upon arrival would mean a 30hr day?

I usually sleep 4-5hrs after lunch/dinner on AC15 which is enough to keep me going until bedtime in HKG or Asia. I also like to have the blinds open the remaining time after waking up so that I feel like it is daytime flight for the remaining 7hrs.
You are lucky your body lets you sleep in the middle of what it thinks is the afternoon. The 30hr day is exactly what lets me sleep when I land, and adjust.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: AC SE
That reminds me of this article: You should always leave your window shade open on an airplane

As if commercial flight wasn't physically limiting enough to begin with, the expectation is that instead of being able to look peacefully out the window -- as we SOAR into the SKY -- we are all now immediately expected to bury our heads in whatever devices are permitted to be turned on. And shame on anyone who dares to cast a glaring beam of (gasp!) natural light across someone else's screen.
I say fight for the right to window-gaze, even if it comes at the expense of bumped knees and awkward butts in faces, and side-eye from flight attendants. If people weren't so willing to ensconce themselves in gloomy dusk like airborne TV-addicted vampires, none of this would be necessary, and frequent bathroom-goers who also like nature could feel free to reserve aisle seats instead.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by D404
You are lucky your body lets you sleep in the middle of what it thinks is the afternoon. The 30hr day is exactly what lets me sleep when I land, and adjust.
I wake up at 02:00 the day of departure after 3hrs of sleep so 10-11hrs later onboard AC15 after lunch, my body is tired enough to sleep again. Coupled with the good timing of lunch ending at the equivalent of 01:00 HKG time, sleep 4-5hrs and I am awake again at a regular time in HKG (usually 05:30) and stay awake for the remainder of the day; no different wake-up time than had I been at home.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by jasdou
I completely agree with this sentiment and it is absolutely a hill I am (proverbially) willing to die on, if I am in a window seat.

The sleeping habits of the other people in the cabin are not my concern. If I want to gaze out the window and watch the clouds pass by for hours on end, I will do so without a second thought.

EDIT: I will say that I love the 787 for allowing me to darken the window. Darkening the window to reduce the brightness while still being able to see out is a concession I will gladly make!
yytleisure, jasdou and 24left like this.

Last edited by Jazzed91; Jan 10, 2019 at 6:40 am
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AC P25
“Looking out the window is the only way I can prevent airsickness. Do you have a few extra sick bags?”

That being said only once did I come across an AC crew that demanded I close my shade. It was nighttime. Dawn was 6 hours away. Don’t look for logic.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow

?? with a daytime flight shades should be open. Also what is the crew to do take a vote? People have eye shades use them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.