Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Accepted Forms of Payment at Airports in the U.S. as of Jan 8 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...yment-usa.html

"Effective January 8t, 2019 cash payments will no longer be accepted at Air Canada airport counters in the United States. Customers will have the option of paying for tickets as well as baggage and other fees with any major credit.

A reminder that you have the option to pre-pay baggage and other fees online at time of check-in from 24 hours before your flight up until the check-in deadline.

Air Canada went cashless for in-flight purchases several years ago. We are now doing the same at the airport, creating a faster and more efficient airport experience for our customers. In fact, you may already know that the Air Canada counters at the following Canadian airports are already cashless: Calgary (YYC), Edmonton (YEG), Ottawa (YOW) and Winnipeg (YWG).

Cash conversion to a prepaid credit card
If you don't have a credit card, ReadySTATION kiosks are available at most airports and offer cash conversion to a prepaid credit card.

Where such kiosks are not available, an alternative solution is to purchase a prepaid credit card at the Airport Currency Exchange or at other convenience stores. If you do choose this option, please make sure to keep your prepaid credit card (even if its value has reached zero) until all travel associated with the card has been completed. In the event of a refund, this will allow us to return the amount to your original form of payment."

(and the "h" is missing)
bruther likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...yment-usa.html

"Effective January 8t, 2019 cash payments will no longer be accepted at Air Canada airport counters in the United States. Customers will have the option of paying for tickets as well as baggage and other fees with any major credit.

A reminder that you have the option to pre-pay baggage and other fees online at time of check-in from 24 hours before your flight up until the check-in deadline.

Air Canada went cashless for in-flight purchases several years ago. We are now doing the same at the airport, creating a faster and more efficient airport experience for our customers. In fact, you may already know that the Air Canada counters at the following Canadian airports are already cashless: Calgary (YYC), Edmonton (YEG), Ottawa (YOW) and Winnipeg (YWG).

Cash conversion to a prepaid credit card
If you don't have a credit card, ReadySTATION kiosks are available at most airports and offer cash conversion to a prepaid credit card.

Where such kiosks are not available, an alternative solution is to purchase a prepaid credit card at the Airport Currency Exchange or at other convenience stores. If you do choose this option, please make sure to keep your prepaid credit card (even if its value has reached zero) until all travel associated with the card has been completed. In the event of a refund, this will allow us to return the amount to your original form of payment."

(and the "h" is missing)
Not very convenient for some (students, etc), but I guess that's the way it goes.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:22 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Curses!

Another one of my money laundering options gone.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:20 am

Just saw this announcement today whilst checking for flight pass options.

The announcement doesn't specifically call out YXU, YYZ and YUL (airports I depart from fairly frequently). Does that mean I can still pay cash at those airports?

I still remember the good ol' days of stopping my car at the departure level of YYZ, running in to the terminal, buying a cash fare for a fellow pax, giving them the ticket then driving back to the office. Would be a pity if that goes away!

-James
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
[QUOTE=Bohemian1;30625113Another one of my money laundering options gone.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by j2simpso
I still remember the good ol' days of stopping my car at the departure level of YYZ, running in to the terminal, buying a cash fare for a fellow pax, giving them the ticket then driving back
Need to find other ways to help your maffia friends (or yourself)
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:40 pm

A friend who is a long-time FA told me that the reason for "no cash payments on board" was due to the frequent problem of "cashbox shrinkage". Could this be one of the reasons for extending the policy to airports as well?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by hazcaddy
A friend who is a long-time FA told me that the reason for "no cash payments on board" was due to the frequent problem of "cashbox shrinkage". Could this be one of the reasons for extending the policy to airports as well?
I would imagine it is more anti-money laundering and security than anything. 99% of the time the type of people who buy walk up cash fares at the last minute are troublemakers up to no good!

-James
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/RBC Rewards/Hilton Honors/SPG-Marriot/Hyatt/Nexus
I would imagine it is more anti-money laundering and security than anything. 99% of the time the type of people who buy walk up cash fares at the last minute are troublemakers up to no good!

-James

99% is a little exaggerated. Lol! You're forgetting the whole group of people who have: Declared bankruptcy, bad credit, no credit (students, and those who never needed credit before), rejected credit (no longer want to have cc's - like my dad used to), or lost wallets. It's quite a lot. There are so many other reason but I do agree that the main reason is probably AML measures and security along with theft. It's hard to keep track of cash when you're busy getting people ready to board a flight and balancing must have been a nightmare.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Lish
99% is a little exaggerated. Lol! You're forgetting the whole group of people who have: Declared bankruptcy, bad credit, no credit (students, and those who never needed credit before), rejected credit (no longer want to have cc's - like my dad used to), or lost wallets. It's quite a lot.
But presumably they've got a bank account and can just use their credit card. IMHO it should be a federal crime to be unbanked in Canada. The number of crooks taking advantage of the poor and homeless unbanked population makes me sick!

-James
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Lish
... You're forgetting the whole group of people who have: Declared bankruptcy, bad credit, no credit (students, and those who never needed credit before), rejected credit (no longer want to have cc's - like my dad used to), or lost wallets. ...
Oh, so you mean all of the Rouge Y pax?

Last edited by Bohemian1; Jan 17, 2019 at 4:27 pm Reason: Apologies to James
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Oh, so you mean all of the Y pax?
As someone who flies k fares regularly I resent that statement

Getting back to the question at hand, are cash-only fares still a thing at YYZ, YUL and YXU?

-James
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:26 pm

Sorry.

I amended my sarcastic comment to be more specific elitist.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Getting back to the question at hand, are cash-only fares still a thing at YYZ, YUL and YXU?

-James
Yes, according to the below:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...t-methods.html

Originally Posted by ac.com

Payments Options at Air Canada Airport Counters

Major credit cards and other forms of payment are accepted at Air Canada airport counters around the world. Payment options include debit and prepaid credit cards, Visa Debit, Air Canada Gift Cards and cash.

Exception: In an effort to streamline your airport experience and optimize processing times, cash payments are not accepted at:

Please note that cash payments are not accepted at:

Air Canada airport counters in the United States
Air Canada counters located at the following Canadian airports:
Calgary (YYC)
Edmonton (YEG)
Halifax (YHZ)
Ottawa (YOW)
Quebec City (YQB)
Saskatoon (YXE)
St. John’s (YYT)
Vancouver (YVR)
Victoria (YYJ)
Toronto Island (YTZ)
Winnipeg (YWG)

Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:29 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hazcaddy
Most likely now. Cash is very expensive for companies to deal with. This was the main reason why cash is no longer used on board aircraft.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Great! I look forward to bringing in my bag of quarters the next time I fly YXU -> EWR

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.