Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Accepted Forms of Payment at Airports in the U.S. as of Jan 8 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Accepted Forms of Payment at Airports in the U.S. as of Jan 8 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/RBC Rewards/Hilton Honors/SPG-Marriot/Hyatt/Nexus
It really is more cost effective and secure to deal with cards only as companies that deal in interac/debit systems tend to charge by volume and there is no risk to "the cash being lost" or having to be transported, thus the costs are better but it does limit some like the ones I mentioned above. They can't get credit cards in some cases and some visa debit cards have many more restrictions than one might think so they are sometimes hard to use. Pre-paid cards have fees but that's the price they must pay I guess. It's the same pricing style for foreign exchange. Exchanging cash has a higher exchange rate than making an electronic exchange of the same amount. Companies are quickly jumping onto the cashless wagon for these reasons. You'll soon enough see the cash fares disappear altogether.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Curses!

Another one of my money laundering options gone.
haha, that's exactly what I was thinking...
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
I'm confessedly astounded by the idea of someone rolling up to an airport counter and hauling out a roll of Benjamins (or Bordens, lol) to book a last-minute trip in J or something. Desperately curious to know how much cash money AC rakes in at a typical station.

Even sitting in the back, every ticket I've ever bought has been worth more than the amount of cash I'd be comfortable carrying around.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:12 pm

Is it even legal to not accept cash? Cash is legal tender, I thought it must be accepted. Maybe different laws in different countries.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by echino
Is it even legal to not accept cash? Cash is legal tender, I thought it must be accepted. Maybe different laws in different countries.
Perfectly legal not to accept it. All the law says is that it is legal tender that could be used to settle a transaction (emphasis on could). I'm actually surprised places still accept cash and struggle to wonder why. Next thing you know they'll want me to pull a silver dollar out of my hat!

For the longest time Timmies was closed everywhere I went in Canada because they wouldn't accept credit cards (the only valid method of payment). Fortunately, now they've seen the light and I can use AE there!

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.