Wiki Posts
Search

AC at Haneda

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
AC at Haneda

Not sure if this should belong here or Japan forum. Feel free to move.

I am flying AC002 from HND back to YYZ in April. Since we get kicked out of the hotel at 11am, and with a little "big" baby and lots of luggages, was thinking of just going to the airport mid-day when the Yamanote is not so busy.

When I last flew in JApan in 2015, and earlier, they don't allow check in until exactly 2.5 hours before the flight. Is this still the practice or do they allow earlier check in now? (like they do in Changi when you can check in early for any flight at a general counter)

thanks
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ichinensei
Not sure if this should belong here or Japan forum. Feel free to move.

I am flying AC002 from HND back to YYZ in April. Since we get kicked out of the hotel at 11am, and with a little "big" baby and lots of luggages, was thinking of just going to the airport mid-day when the Yamanote is not so busy.

When I last flew in JApan in 2015, and earlier, they don't allow check in until exactly 2.5 hours before the flight. Is this still the practice or do they allow earlier check in now? (like they do in Changi when you can check in early for any flight at a general counter)

thanks
I haven't flown out of HND that recently, but as of early 2017 it was still roughly 2.5/3 hours, IIRC (similar to AC at ICN). They did let me check in slightly earlier as I was SE though. The staff had already congregated in advance to do their briefings/preparations when they noticed me in the J line. I'm sure others like @24left can give you a more recent update.

(and I typically employ the same strategy of hopping onto the Yamanote when it's not as busy to get to the Monorail for HND, or to Shinigawa (or Tokyo) for NRT)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Ichinensei

I am flying AC002 from HND back to YYZ in April. ......

thanks

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I haven't flown out of HND that recently, but as of early 2017 it was still roughly 2.5/3 hours, IIRC (similar to AC at ICN). They did let me check in slightly earlier as I was SE though. The staff had already congregated in advance to do their briefings/preparations when they noticed me in the J line. I'm sure others like @24left can give you a more recent update.

(and I typically employ the same strategy of hopping onto the Yamanote when it's not as busy to get to the Monorail for HND, or to Shinigawa (or Tokyo) for NRT)
@Ichinensei

Just a single data point from 24left (thanks for the ping @yyznomad )

At all the airports I've flown to and through in the past 2 years (most were Asia and SE Asia), check-in counters open at 3 hours prior. This is also true for those international airlines at LAX TBIT etc. I many cases - including HND and TPE, I had to wait as AC staff had not yet arrived and along what the contract staff, had not yet set up their positions and lines etc.

On my most recent flight ex-HND, I spent some time on the outside deck planespotting. It was a lot of fun and I always do it at NRT as both are landside. AT HND, there is also a nice area with retail and restaurants upstairs and just inside of the doors to the deck. If you need photos and directions, let me know.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:56 pm

You could ask for a later check out time.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
AC does not staff or open the check in area until about 2:30 before flight, maybe 2:45 at most.

It's a long time to hang around the airport. You could store your luggage there, but I find availability of lockers to be a bit problematic.. There's a staffed luggage storage if you really are deperate.

I would think try and do something else before getting to the airport.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies. Checking out late is not an option as it's a 12 room Ryokan that's always fully booked. I think I will just do what I did the last time.. Dumped the bags into a locker at Keisei Ueno earlier in the day and then just spend the last hours in Ameyoko.. That's the wife's favorite spot too. I've heard about the stuff at HND which is why I originally wanted to check in my bags early and enjoy both the land and air side. Plus take my shower before the flight. ( I sweat a lot)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
You might also ask the ryokan to hold on to your bags until the afternoon.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Why use lockers when you can just leave the luggage at the front desk until you are ready to head to the airport. It's free. There is no need to hunt for available lockers.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by joejones
You might also ask the ryokan to hold on to your bags until the afternoon.
Originally Posted by beep88
Why use lockers when you can just leave the luggage at the front desk until you are ready to head to the airport. It's free. There is no need to hunt for available lockers.
My guess is that the ryokan is in a location where the OP might have to backtrack and not near the Yamanote (Ameyoko area), where they want to hang out before heading to Hamamatsucho.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Yep... I'll need to back track. Lockers at Keisei Ueno are usually available in the mornings. It'll cost around 1000 yen to take the taxi back or walk 30 minutes with the stroller and the MIL and the very slow walking Mrs.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Can 1 person collect the luggage while the rest of the party wait at the station / cafe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.