Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Crash Course/Required Reading for FFs New to Having Some Kind of Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crash Course/Required Reading for FFs New to Having Some Kind of Status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by dr_torch
Start OLCI
Select Seat
Exit OLCI

Your seat selections are saved but you are not checked in.
What if you already had a seat selected at purchase? Would it be just seat confirmation?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bartolo

what if you already had a seat selected at purchase? Would it be west confirmation?
Well, as I said above, once you start the OLCI process, at around the second wizard screen, the system has you checked in already even if you don't complete the entire process and exit out.
So even if you do or don't pick a seat during OLCI and exit early, you are still checked in.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Well, as I said above, once you start the OLCI process, at around the second wizard screen, the system has you checked in already even if you don't complete the entire process and exit out.
So even if you do or don't pick a seat during OLCI and exit early, you are still checked in.
Be careful with this though - as I learned the hard way.

It was my first time on an upgrade list and I still didn't know how it all worked. The app wasn't working well - can't remember the exact details but I was having to go through the check-in screen to see the upgrade list. I was all excited so checking way too frequently, like it would make some kind of difference.

When I went to board the plane I found out I no longer had a seat because I had half checked in too many times and was somehow deemed a security risk. It was a strange occurrence. The GA explained to me that once you start the process you need to finish it and you only have so many cracks at it before you get the boot!
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Be careful with this though - as I learned the hard way.

It was my first time on an upgrade list and I still didn't know how it all worked. The app wasn't working well - can't remember the exact details but I was having to go through the check-in screen to see the upgrade list. I was all excited so checking way too frequently, like it would make some kind of difference.

When I went to board the plane I found out I no longer had a seat because I had half checked in too many times and was somehow deemed a security risk. It was a strange occurrence. The GA explained to me that once you start the process you need to finish it and you only have so many cracks at it before you get the boot!
I have probably "half" checked in for several dozens of flights, if not hundreds, and I've never had issues. But I've never "half" checked in dozens of times for the same flight.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:02 am

I have probably "half" checked in for several dozens of flights, if not hundreds, and I've never had issues. But I've never "half" checked in dozens of times for the same flight.
You're not special stupid enough I guess. Isn't that nice for you.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I’ve half-checked in a bunch of times for the same looking for a better LMU if I see J loads change. Can’t say it’s been dozens of times per flight, but I’ll definitely be a little more careful in light of @WaytoomuchEurope being unfortunately deemed a security risk.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by ffsim

I’ve half-checked in a bunch of times for the same looking for a better LMU if I see J loads change. Can’t say it’s been dozens of times per flight, but I’ll definitely be a little more careful in light of @WaytoomuchEurope being unfortunately deemed a security risk.
I don't know where the idea that I tried to check in "dozens of times" came from. It was 23 times at a maximum which doesn't fit the definition of "dozens".
ffsim and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100k
Originally Posted by Ew/oQ
To keep options open, OLCI at 24 hrs to get the seat desired but do not complete the process as IRROP changes once checked in mandate a phone call.
Is this still true? Just a few weeks ago I was checked in online for a TATL to YYZ via YUL (booked that way to secure an eUp from Latitude at time of booking — the non-stop flights were P0 R0). A few hours after checking in, I noticed that AC issued a possible weather disruption advisory for YUL, and the automated online disruption rebooking tool let me switch to one of the YYZ non-stops (and it kept me in J too!). The cool thing was that neither my YUL nor YYZ flights were even showing delayed (yet). No phone call into AC was required (and I did NOT cancel my check-in online for my YUL flight before accessing the rebooking site).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperCargo

Is this still true? Just a few weeks ago I was checked in online for a TATL to YYZ via YUL (booked that way to secure an eUp from Latitude at time of booking — the non-stop flights were P0 R0). A few hours after checking in, I noticed that AC issued a possible weather disruption advisory for YUL, and the automated online disruption rebooking tool let me switch to one of the YYZ non-stops (and it kept me in J too!). The cool thing was that neither my YUL nor YYZ flights were even showing delayed (yet). No phone call into AC was required (and I did NOT cancel my check-in online for my YUL flight before accessing the rebooking site).
When the Auto Rebooking Tool works, it's great. However, as reported here/anecdotally and through my own personal experiences, this tool is hit and miss.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100k
When the Auto Rebooking Tool works, it's great. However, as reported here/anecdotally and through my own personal experiences, this tool is hit and miss.
With my limited experience so far with AC IT, I can totally see that. In fact, even with the experience I described above, the Rebooking Tool did something strange with the eUpgrade credits for the booking (although ultimately in my favour).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Actually, when the OLCI process has been spawned on ac.com, after the first or second wizard screen, you've already checked in. And once you exit the process early, you're still check in.

If you don't believe me, ask @canadiancow as this has been discussed in this forum in the past.

Or I could be wrong and I'll go back into my FOTSG cave.

(but I'm speaking from experience)
Definitely.

You'll appear on the upgrade list, your coupon will be marked "CHECKED IN" (check saudia), etc.

The screen that shows you your flight, seat selection button, upgrade options, etc., is only presented to you after you're checked in.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:28 am

Asking the experts...

If one cancels a fully completed check in do the chosen seats remain tied to you or is one again pre-selected the window and back of bus undesirables?

Is OLCI available after cancelling a completed check in?

Does confirming the "will no longer be travelling" question have any affect on one's reservation?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Actually, when the OLCI process has been spawned on ac.com, after the first or second wizard screen, you've already checked in. And once you exit the process early, you're still check in.

If you don't believe me, ask @canadiancow as this has been discussed in this forum in the past.

Or I could be wrong and I'll go back into my FOTSG cave.

(but I'm speaking from experience)
I’ve had this too, was part way into OLCI (several times) and AC IT struck. I was planning on arriving early anyway expecting YYZ chaos and was greeted with oh you are already checked in.

Of course just doing manage booking and pick seat works well for selecting a seat without checking in. I believe that may even work at t-24 for Standard fares.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I don't know where the idea that I tried to check in "dozens of times" came from. It was 23 times at a maximum which doesn't fit the definition of "dozens".
That is 1.9166 dozens.
jc94 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by marchelli
I don't fly for work but have had to be on 3 different continents for various occasions for friends and family so I'm paying for all of my airfare to go to these events.
it's mostly Y for me so I'd like to make the most out of my eUps.
Being a tall person on red eye TPAC or TALT in Y is not the most pleasant experience,
I would like to maintain E50K
If you are buying Y - are you earning only half qualifying miles everytime you fly, or are you overpaying for "flex" to sit in Y anyway?
Have you looked at outside AC - where its a lot easier and cheaper to earn/maintain status, and you get some sort of nicer economy seats on your longhauls (free exit rows, etc)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.