AE I goes to Y due to IRROPs

Old Jan 5, 19, 1:51 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,582
AE I goes to Y due to IRROPs

At ZRH.

Flying LX86 to YUL and onto YYZ. Get 45 min delay.

Then told Iím now flying ZRH YUL on AC but it leaves in 1:20 - Iím on train to the airport, so clearly not going to work.

Call them up, told LX86 is out and Iím going UA or not at all. After 20 mins on phone told itís done - and this is just after I get to to LX checkin. No OLCI due to eTA woes.

UA rebook is Y. Speak to agent and told he canít do anything as itís AE. He puts me onto LX8 to ORD and onto YYZ - and can only put me in Y. Speak to AE. Despite it being well within 24h.

Tags both bags with priority for free. Canít give me a lounge pass and I now have a 10h non preferred Y seat instead of my LX J throne seat and also , to top it off, a 70m connection in ORD where I also have to recheck my bags.

Other than calling AE who probably arenít open, any ideas? Also as itís AE what sort of compensation can I get and who from?

Oh, LX claims LX86 is going but they canít put me back on it due to LX rebooking me. What?

A very unhappy jc94 in ZRH. Where my flight now leaves in 5.5h without lounge access.
jc94 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 1:55 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,732
Talk to LX. This is all on them.

Demand EC 261 compensation information for the involuntary downgrade and delay to your final destination.

75% of ticket cost, and hundreds of Euros, right?

Alternatively, offer to take the seat you had been booked in originally.
Dolphin2, monkai and jc94 like this.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 2:02 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,582
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Talk to LX. This is all on them.

Demand EC 261 compensation information for the involuntary downgrade and delay to your final destination.

75% of ticket cost, and hundreds of Euros, right?

Alternatively, offer to take the seat you had been booked in originally.
I told Swiss three times it was on them within 24h of departure. I will try EC261.
jc94 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 2:22 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,732
Thinking about this more, "You rebooked me without consent. I want to take the flight I was confirmed on, in my ticketed cabin."

Edit: I think they're overbooked in J (but pretty open in F), which could explain some of their hesitance to put you back in J.
Dolphin2 likes this.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 3:15 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,582
Nutshell- I am back on LX86 and owe Mr Cow a beer.

Require food and shower, more to follow.



Last edited by jc94; Jan 5, 19 at 3:29 am Reason: Blurred faces on edge
jc94 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 3:52 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,732
What's the longer story?
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 4:41 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,582
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
What's the longer story?
Okay, was waiting until I had food, and had a shower buzzer. Which went off.

Also just to be clear, I posted here because all these issues were due to it being an AE ticket. LX has much to answer for - I already have a complaint in about not being able to OLCI (no eTA) - but todays issues were continually stated as being due to AE.

So, after I posted originally I did ring AE and confirmed they were closed until 7am EST as I expected. Not that they'd touch the ticket at a few hours out anyway. So, I went to the supervisor downstairs and started talking about involuntary downgrade, 75% and EC261 and he listened and confirmed LX86 isn't cancelled and he had no idea what was going on but to go to ticketing. Whatever.

From where I was (where the train dropped me off) to Swiss ticketing is not convenient. Two floors up and all the way to the end but, at least, unlike Y ticketing there was no queue and chairs :P I spent a good while here, and started with I know it's an AE ticket but .... At first I was told he couldn't put me onto LX86 because the connection was too tight. I said I don't think 1h at YUL is too tight, I mean it's tight but it's legal, but whatever just find me a route home that involves being in J and doesn't have a 70min connection in ORD. Tap tap tap for a good while and eventually I was back onto LX86 in my original seat. He offered me the 6pm flight YUL YYZ given the new 1h connection and I said sure but as it happens, he was looking the wrong way (YYZ YUL) so I'm still on the 5pm.

I was then sent over to the upstairs supervisor (where I waited 10 mins at an empty desk until I sent my friend over to J checkin to ask if there was anyone around) who was (eventually) able to apparently change my bags which had to be found and re-tagged to YUL/YYZ. This supervisor was actually extremely friendly (especially after my friend disappeared), but she was also the fourth person I had to speak to. She wanted to know the name for a paperclip in English (lol).

So now I'm due into YUL at 4pm for a 5pm flight onward to YYZ. The AC website claims bags go straight through (well, it says you don't have to claim bags from UK, Switzerland, EU or somewhere) for Intl to Domestic at YUL, but both the ticketing man and the supervisor lady said I do. The latter even showed me that it said that on her screen. So that could be interesting.

Once I get home and hear back from LX about my eTA/PR and the auto rebooking onto impossible connections, flights in Y, and claims that they couldn't do anything I will I'm sure feel the need to post. This may need to be a separate LX thread however? I imagine it'll be a few weeks.

And I'll be posting here again from YUL or YYZ I'm sure. I mean surely AC can get from my YUL to YYZ tonight, surely ...
canadiancow likes this.
jc94 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 6:39 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 1,670
Another example of why I love this forum. A rather simple suggestion from @canadiancow moved OP from an infuriating no-win position to a moderately frustrating experience.

I see people getting assistance here daily and I just freaking love it.
WaytoomuchEurope is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 6:45 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,582
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope View Post
Another example of why I love this forum. A rather simple suggestion from @canadiancow moved OP from an infuriating no-win position to a moderately frustrating experience.

I see people getting assistance here daily and I just freaking love it.
I also knew thanks to FT that LX had control of ticket (not that it initially helped) and that I could save money flying LX TATL over day AC!

We wonít be leaving at 13:30 given its 13:45 though. Hopefully AC will see me right in YUL.
jc94 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 6:49 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 1,670
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post


I also knew thanks to FT that LX had control of ticket (not that it initially helped) and that I could save money flying LX TATL over day AC!

We wonít be leaving at 13:30 given its 13:45 though. Hopefully AC will see me right in YUL.
Assuming you're boarded and close to departure the time can mostly be made up in the air. You may miss the connection but it's not like YUL-YYZ is an uncommon route so you'll be fine.

Safe journey and enjoy LX J. One of missions this year is to fly it.
WaytoomuchEurope is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 7:01 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,582
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope View Post
Assuming you're boarded and close to departure the time can mostly be made up in the air. You may miss the connection but it's not like YUL-YYZ is an uncommon route so you'll be fine.

Safe journey and enjoy LX J. One of missions this year is to fly it.
They said itís 8h in air (lists 8h30). Itís 2pm which means if we take off now we arrive 4pm. Just been told it takes 30 mins to clean an aircraft and every so often clear the runway. He says we should leave in an hour. Thatís leave the gate.

So assuming we move at 3 and take off 3:30 as planned that has me arriving at 11:30 ZRH which is 5:30pm YUL. My flight leaves 5pm.

AC has three flights after 5, two are selling no tickets. The last is selling Latitude only. And that was two hours ago.

So, Iím either getting a BP for 427 ... or Iím in a hotel. I may find out whom told me the truth on my credit card insurance. One said Iím not covered, one said I am.
jc94 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 7:05 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 1,670
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post


They said itís 8h in air (lists 8h30). Itís 2pm which means if we take off now we arrive 4pm. Just been told it takes 30 mins to clean an aircraft and every so often clear the runway. He says we should leave in an hour. Thatís leave the gate.

So assuming we move at 3 and take off 3:30 as planned that has me arriving at 11:30 ZRH which is 5:30pm YUL. My flight leaves 5pm.

AC has three flights after 5, two are selling no tickets. The last is selling Latitude only. And that was two hours ago.

So, Iím either getting a BP for 427 ... or Iím in a hotel. I may find out whom told me the truth on my credit card insurance. One said Iím not covered, one said I am.
I just assumed you were moments from takeoff. I don't know why.

Perhaps a call to the now open AE would make sense. With the benefit of time they should be able to sort out a different flight for you tonight, no?
WaytoomuchEurope is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 7:22 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,582
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope View Post
I just assumed you were moments from takeoff. I don't know why.

Perhaps a call to the now open AE would make sense. With the benefit of time they should be able to sort out a different flight for you tonight, no?
Probably because I thought we were too

Iím not convinced AE will be eager to help fix a ticket thatís now (I believe) under AC or LX control?

I fear my best bet is hoping AC have a BP waiting for me for that later flight. Given I no longer have any status however, this seems like a pipe dream. Plus itís AE, so I donít qualify for any concierge access.
jc94 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 8:23 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC-SE100K AC-MM BA-S HH-D IHG-Amb
Posts: 3,559
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
The AC website claims bags go straight through (well, it says you don't have to claim bags from UK, Switzerland, EU or somewhere) for Intl to Domestic at YUL, ...
When I flew through YYZ three weeks ago, the signage showed exactly that. No bag pick-up for UK, CH and a couple of others. EDIT: I was on an AC-AC connection.

That was quite an adventure. Congrats on sticking with it.
--
13F

PS YUL website showing LX86 delayed 45 mins to arrive at 16:00. One hour is sufficient in YUL thanks to the quick connections path to domestic flights.

Last edited by Seat13F_AC_CRJ; Jan 5, 19 at 10:10 am
Seat13F_AC_CRJ is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 8:42 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,582
3:40 and still at the gate Swiss app says departed, we have not lol. Can just about make out E34.



Hereís the AC page...

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...rt/int-ca.html
jc94 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: