Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Booked using points and can't E-Upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Booked using points and can't E-Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Angry Booked using points and can't E-Upgrade

Well after years of collecting I decided to use my points to book a couple of trips. First trip is from Kelowna to Phoenix through Vancouver. Having 55 e-upgrade credits I phone and check when I can e-upgrade. I am told 10 days since I am a 75K member. After numerous attempts on line and phoning I am finally told I can't e-upgrade a flight that I used points to book. If you ask me this is ........ - I spent thousands of dollars to earn the points and the status and now am told I can't use me e-upgrades because I used points to book a flight - ....

Anyone else experience this ? Anyway to get around it ?

I have another trip booking to Puerto Vallarta that I was hoping to use the rest of my e-upgrade to move up to business class for myself and the wife but thinking I am going to get the same run around.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:45 pm

My most recent experience with upgrading a points ticket, the upgrade can't be processed until 24 hours before departure.
This was a 50K pax during the holidays if that matters.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
You can reference this page:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ade-offer.html
"For a limited time, take advantage of our exclusive eUpgrade promotion^ on eligible comfort and Flex fares, which includes the waiver of Add-ons for Flex fares. Plus, don’t miss the opportunity to request an upgrade from Standard (previously Tango) fares as well as Aeroplan Fixed Mileage Flight Rewards™. These limited-time offers are valid for eUpgrade requests made between September 20, 2018 and January 10, 2019, for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S."

Problem is if you then go to the booking window page:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ng-window.html
It says you can only request your upgrade for flights in Canada/US at check-in.

Bottom line - if travel is before the 10th, you can do it at check-in. If after the 10th, you'll need to hope they renew this "limited time offer" which has been renewed regularly.

This is Assuming you booked fixed mileage and not "market" rewards.

Since Puerto Vallarta isn't in Canada and the US you will probably be out of luck for that unless they modify the rules.

Last edited by The Lev; Jan 4, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info - Had to look back but it looks like I bought Market value flights. I will call again tomorrow and see if mi get a different answer.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MRDS650
Thanks for the info - Had to look back but it looks like I bought Market value flights. I will call again tomorrow and see if mi get a different answer.
Market Fare cannot be upgraded. Don't waste your (or their) time.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
To MRDS650- welcome to FT!

Usually e-upgrades cannot be used for Aeroplan redemptions.
Under the current promotion, for limited destinations they can be used to request an upgrade ( NOT guaranteed) at checkin.
If you want business class on an AE redemption, you must book it - if available - from the outset.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by The Lev
Bottom line - if travel is before the 10th, you can do it at check-in. If after the 10th, you'll need to hope they renew this "limited time offer" which has been renewed regularly.
Isn't this already extended until September 30, 2019? From the Altitude page:

Offer Extended until September 30, 2019: eUpgrade from a Tango fare or an Aeroplan Fixed Mileage Flight Reward
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:46 pm

I flew on Aeroplan points Dec 21st, YYC to YYZ. Fixed Mileage Reward. I requested an e-upgrade at check-in and it was offered for $150.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 5Miles
I flew on Aeroplan points Dec 21st, YYC to YYZ. Fixed Mileage Reward. I requested an e-upgrade at check-in and it was offered for $150.
How many eUps were deducted from your account as a result?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by 5Miles
eUpgrade or LMU?

Or did you mean $150 plus eUpgrade credits?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YEG USER

eUpgrade or LMU?

Or did you mean $150 plus eUpgrade credits?
Sounds like the CI/OLCI copay for that route on a reward booking.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Sounds like the CI/OLCI copay for that route on a reward booking.
I realize that, but the word “offered” combined with lack of mention of need for upgrade credits confused me. The distance/credit/co-pay levels are published, and there are revenue fares that have co-pays too, so the IMHO the price “offered” at OLCI typically wouldn’t be a surprise. LMU’s, however, could be much cheaper than usual on a flight during a period of low business travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.