Name Change on Cancelled Booking

Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Name Change on Cancelled Booking

So here's my situation. I booked a ticket on points for my brother to go see his partner in hospital; naturally it was a last minute booking for him to fly out the next day. Within a couple hours of making the booking, circumstances changed and the flight was no longer needed, so I cancelled it and now the mileage on that ticket has a year to be used; I've done this before and paid the change fee without incident. However, does it have to be him that will use it? He was last on a plane in around 1999 so he doesn't really travel, whereas I could use the ticket within the year easily. I know "name changes are not permitted", but does this only apply to an active confirmed ticket or the whole thing in this case? I tried searching the forum and couldn't find any leads. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Can't do a name change. I tried once.

You can pay a change fee to move it a few months out, then pay the refund fee to get the points back.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Does the 24 hour free cancellation not apply to Aeroplan bookings?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by laidback71
Does the 24 hour free cancellation not apply to Aeroplan bookings?
No.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
If it was an Air Canada booking (ie not Aeroplan) , then maybe yes. See the restriction on Aeroplan booking below (bolding mine)... this is for Travel Agents but I remember reading something similar in the past for AC direct bookings.

Name Change Policy and Procedures -
Travel agents Policy and Conditions
• Name changes are permitted to substitute the original person travelling with another customer, subject to the following criteria:
• 014 ticket stock only, regardless of the date of issue of the ticket.
• Eligible Markets (see Fees table below):
o Intra-Canada: all fare families.
o Transborder: Flex corporate fares, Business Lowest corporate fares, Business Flexible corporate fares and any Latitude fares.
o Sun: Flex corporate fares, Business Lowest corporate fares and any Latitude fares. o Unused 014 ticket: the itinerary must first be exchanged to an eligible market and fare family, prior to processing the name change (refer to the section Fees below).
o Pure AC, AC rouge and AC Express flights only.
o Fully unused tickets (travel cannot have commenced).
o Applicable to travel agency bookings (GDS/CRS) within 3 business days of departure via Contact Centres only.
• The 24 Hour Rule is a separate policy. If the name change falls within 24 hours from date of issue, the ticket needs to be refunded and a new ticket issued.
• Name change eligibility is based on the current ticket for travel within Canada, transborder or sun.
Restrictions
• Not permitted on International markets.
• Not permitted on certain markets and fares; see Fees table below.
• Not permitted at the airport; airport agents will not process name changes.
• Only one name change permitted per ticket.
• No OAL ticket stock.
• No Aeroplan, ACV, Airmiles or NET (bulk fare) bookings.
• No interline travel, including codeshare (AC*/OAL or OAL*/AC) flights or pure OAL flights.
• No partially used tickets; a name cannot be changed during travel.
• Not permitted on any tickets purchased fraudulently or from an non-accredited Air Canada merchant.
• Not applicable to Flight Passes; the current name change procedures for Flight Passes remain in effect as per Flight Pass Procedures
• Not applicable to group bookings; the current name change procedures for group travel remain in effect as per the group contract.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:46 am

Those rules seem to be more about changing John Smith to Jane Doe. More a "passenger change" than a "name change".

The rules are a bit different when it's to correct an improperly entered name.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Those rules seem to be more about changing John Smith to Jane Doe. More a "passenger change" than a "name change".

The rules are a bit different when it's to correct an improperly entered name.
You are right-- OP was trying to see if they could change the ticket from his brother to him.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Plumber
You are right-- OP was trying to see if they could change the ticket from his brother to him.
Oops I got the two threads confused.
Plumber likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Thank you for the replies everyone!

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Can't do a name change. I tried once.

You can pay a change fee to move it a few months out, then pay the refund fee to get the points back.
I had never thought of that! So it doesn't matter that the flight was originally booked within the 22-day window, as long as I rebook again for an itinerary well outside of it, the cancel/refund options "unlocks" again? So apart from eating the fee twice everything would be back to normal.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:35 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
I had never thought of that! So it doesn't matter that the flight was originally booked within the 22-day window, as long as I rebook again for an itinerary well outside of it, the cancel/refund options "unlocks" again? So apart from eating the fee twice everything would be back to normal.
Correct. The ticket still needs to be used within a year of its original issue date though, so hopefully you booked it less than 343 days ago.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Correct. The ticket still needs to be used within a year of its original issue date though, so hopefully you booked it less than 343 days ago.
Yes it was, ticket was booked on Dec 31 for travel on Jan 1 and then cancelled a few hours later. So it shows a validity date until Dec 30, 2019.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.