Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen which passport for OLCI?

Old Jan 4, 19, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E - PC Plat - Carlson Gold - National E/E

Might be a silly question, but for OLCI can we change our passport for the outbound and return?

I'm a dual citizen (Canada / Jamaican) --- flying to Jamaica... I would assume I fly down on my jamaican passport and return on my canadian, but not sure if APIS will ask for the info on the return or not?

Travelling with carry on only, don't want any issues on the return.
Old Jan 4, 19, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
You might need to go into the reservation and clear out the APIS data after flying the outbound. I don't think OLCI will ask if it already has it.
Old Jan 4, 19, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E - PC Plat - Carlson Gold - National E/E
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
You might need to go into the reservation and clear out the APIS data after flying the outbound. I don't think OLCI will ask if it already has it.
That's what I thought.
Old Jan 4, 19, 5:45 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
I do this all the time. Fly to London on my British passport and return on my Canadian one. However Iíve also entered my Canadian PP for APIS purposes but entered the UK on my UK passport. Never had a problem either way! YMMV of course.
Old Jan 4, 19, 7:48 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
I've never had a problem with APIS, but on at least one occasion when I entered the UK with my UK passport and tried to use my Canadian passport going through exit passport control there, it was flagged and I had to show my UK document. No problem entering Canada.
Old Jan 4, 19, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
You can enter your Canadian passport info for AC purposes but then show your foreign passport when you land at the foreign destination (and any exit control).
BlondeBomber and malmostoso like this.
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:46 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
You can enter your Canadian passport info for AC purposes but then show your foreign passport when you land at the foreign destination (and any exit control).
+1 Works for me too.

Just be sure to show to show the same passport to passport control officials when entering and leaving the country / zone or expect some questions.
Old Jan 4, 19, 10:04 am

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
FQ Jr uses destination passport on the outbound, and when she OLCI and the same passport is pre-populated, she edits it to the return destination's passport.
Mr FQ also dual avoids it using NEXUS, which is a convenient solution only for US/Can duals.
Old Jan 4, 19, 11:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I asked a similar question more than a year ago. Advice given was excellent and has worked well with no issues. Use my Canadian passport with AC. Use my EU passport (at passport control) to exit/enter EU countries.

After Canada started requing entry visas I had huge difficulty checking in with AC, despite having contacted them to change the passport info for return flight from EU to Canada. Online check-in couldn’t be done. At the airport a very capable AC agent also had trouble and it took close to an hour to fix.

I have never been flagged on arrival in the EU (��) and used the electronic gates several times as well as gates with an actual person. Just remember which passport to use and put the other one away.

The only other thing I would note is that I had both passports in my hand at security (CDG) and they were grabbed from me (literally). It got attention but worked out fine. Now I wear something with pockets so I don’t hold them both at the same time. Problem solved,
Old Jan 4, 19, 11:47 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Academic View Post
when I entered the UK with my UK passport and tried to use my Canadian passport going through exit passport control there
where in the UK was this exit passport control?
Old Jan 4, 19, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
The only other thing I would note is that I had both passports in my hand at security (CDG) and they were grabbed from me (literally). It got attention but worked out fine. Now I wear something with pockets so I don’t hold them both at the same time. Problem solved,
Interesting.

Child Two had the same problem last Summer when checking in at CDG for a flight to YVR.

My advice was the same as yours - don't let them see that you have two passports.
Old Jan 4, 19, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
I asked a similar question more than a year ago. Advice given was excellent and has worked well with no issues. Use my Canadian passport with AC. Use my EU passport (at passport control) to exit/enter EU countries.

After Canada started requing entry visas I had huge difficulty checking in with AC, despite having contacted them to change the passport info for return flight from EU to Canada. Online check-in couldnít be done. At the airport a very capable AC agent also had trouble and it took close to an hour to fix.

I have never been flagged on arrival in the EU (��) and used the electronic gates several times as well as gates with an actual person. Just remember which passport to use and put the other one away.
Also what I do. Not only if going to a Schengen country, but also to places which require a visa from Canadians but don't from EU people. Or for countries requiring a visa, if I happen to have a visa in the EU passport. I might try that next time I go to China given the current context...
Old Jan 5, 19, 7:53 am

As a related item, I am told by a UK Citizen that the US ESTA application now asks you to delcare any additional passports held.
Old Jan 5, 19, 7:56 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by peter1962 View Post
As a related item, I am told by a UK Citizen that the US ESTA application now asks you to delcare any additional passports held.
Correct. It also has optional space for all your social media accounts.
Old Jan 5, 19, 12:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
So do CDN and Brit applications.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: