Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Getting upgraded on mixed cabin Aeroplan redemptions

Getting upgraded on mixed cabin Aeroplan redemptions

Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TenForward
Thanks @canadiancow, flyertalk is amazing and this post is one of the most informative I've seen.

Pardon my ignorance in asking the following:

On a mixed cabin redemption where I have redeemed for business but am confirmed only in economy, if I correctly follow the procedure you describe in your original post and get properly added to the upgrade list, provided there is space in J before push-back, will I be assured a seat up front? Am I correct in understanding is that if I am correctly placed on the upgrade list (and confirming so via the app), and provided that the total number of folks on the upgrade list is less than the total number of available J seats, I will get a J seat?

Thanks again
Yes, definitely. If you're on the list, you're entitled to J, so you won't sit in Y if there are empty seats in J.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AC Elite
Terrific thread. Thanks, canadiancow.

Additional Q but first some background. Two people travelling to LHR (on AC) in a three class aircraft. One person on a paid “P” fare (not relevant to the Q, I think, but might have impact on the outcome.) One with an AP business class ticket with a confirmed seat in Y. Based on advice above, I’ve been checking regularly to see if an “I” seat opens up to request change before the travel date.

Should I also be checking to see if an available “N” seat opens up so that the AP named passenger can at least move to Premium Economy before the travel date then ask at the airport for the move to J?

Will getting PY before the travel date lock that seat in eliminating a possible upgrade to J?

if nothing opens up until travel day, should I request at check in an upgrade to both business and premium economy?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

You should also be checking for premium economy. It will actually improve your chances of getting business at the gate due to how they sort people.

If you're on the list for business, you will clear into premium economy if there's space there but not up front.
Cloud Lounger likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:21 am

Quick question, I have a confirmed (X) booking from YYZ to DFW, and a confirmed (I) from DFW back to YYZ. To try this trick should I contact Aeroplan now (flight is tomorrow), or follow the steps and at the check in counter ask to be put on the upgrade list? Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by burgerkong
Quick question, I have a confirmed (X) booking from YYZ to DFW, and a confirmed (I) from DFW back to YYZ. To try this trick should I contact Aeroplan now (flight is tomorrow), or follow the steps and at the check in counter ask to be put on the upgrade list? Thanks!
Aeroplan has no control of AC's waitlists.
The only thing Aeroplan can do is put you in the J cabin if reward availability miraculously shows up in that cabin.
So you have to do this at the airport.
burgerkong likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

If there is "I" space available, call Aeroplan now. If not, follow the instructions at the airport.
burgerkong likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Aeroplan has no control of AC's waitlists.
The only thing Aeroplan can do is put you in the J cabin if reward availability miraculously shows up in that cabin.
So you have to do this at the airport.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If there is "I" space available, call Aeroplan now. If not, follow the instructions at the airport.
No dice, business is full on the flight there (according to Aeroplan CSR) so I will follow the airport steps. Thanks again!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:10 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by echino
YVR-YYZ - I was confirmed in PY (Aeroplan J award), no status. An SE on paid ticket confirmed in Y got upgraded to J ahead of me. I had to fly in PY.
Yesterday I put my colleaugue on the upgrade list , flex Sun pass , no status , 4 eups.
He did not get the upgrade , but, a 35K got it , on a fare that required 10 eups

I , and [PITZ ] , have always known it's status first [ for all my experiences anyway ]
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RZR
Yesterday I put my colleaugue on the upgrade list , flex Sun pass , no status , 4 eups.
He did not get the upgrade , but, a 35K got it , on a fare that required 10 eups

I , and [PITZ ] , have always known it's status first [ for all my experiences anyway ]
You're describing regular upgrade priority.

As mentioned upthread, this thread is not really about an "upgrade", but rather the use of the word "upgrade" in place of a ticketed J/F cabin with a confirmed lower cabin.
The placement of the ticketed J passenger is different than how the priority of eUpgrade waitlisting works.
@canadiancow can provide more commentary as well...
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
You're describing regular upgrade priority.

As mentioned upthread, this thread is not really about an "upgrade", but rather the use of the word "upgrade" in place of a ticketed J/F cabin with a confirmed lower cabin.
The placement of the ticketed J passenger is different than how the priority of eUpgrade waitlisting works.
@canadiancow can provide more commentary as well...
I really don't want this thread to be derailed over priority. This is about the process to get on the list.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:28 am

Success....at the cost of SSSS. Oh well, bound to happen eventually even with NEXUS/GE.

Went to checkin, asked to be placed on the upgrade list, agent says odds were good (checked this morning and there were 6 unfilled J). Got called up at the gate. Seamless.

canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Alaska Mileage Plan, CX Gold, SPG Gold, Aeroplan
@burgerkong great outcome!
@canadiancow, here's another clarifying question about the procedure you have so skillfully explained above, referencing @burgerkong 's experience:

In the mixed cabin AE redemption scenario on this thread (J redemption with a confirmed seat in coach only on one leg), can the airport procedure be done at airport check in (as opposed to at the gate)? My upcoming flight involves plenty of checked bags and I plan to check in at the airport. If there are unfilled seats in J at the time of airport check in, is it possible that the airport check-in agent can see the J redemption confirmed in Y, see that there are open seats in J, and issue BPs in J at the check in phase? Or will they always defer to the GA and will I have to wait and see at the gate?

Thanks again
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TenForward
@burgerkong great outcome!
@canadiancow, here's another clarifying question about the procedure you have so skillfully explained above, referencing @burgerkong 's experience:

In the mixed cabin AE redemption scenario on this thread (J redemption with a confirmed seat in coach only on one leg), can the airport procedure be done at airport check in (as opposed to at the gate)? My upcoming flight involves plenty of checked bags and I plan to check in at the airport. If there are unfilled seats in J at the time of airport check in, is it possible that the airport check-in agent can see the J redemption confirmed in Y, see that there are open seats in J, and issue BPs in J at the check in phase? Or will they always defer to the GA and will I have to wait and see at the gate?

Thanks again
They will just add you to the list, which will be processed by PDM 5 minutes after check-in closes.. You booked a segment in Y, and they're certainly not going to move you to a higher cabin without availability (i.e. I-class space) until the last possible minute.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
My wife is currently flying the return leg of a mixed J award from my account. First leg to YYZ in is J, and then YYZ->YVR is in Y.

I've emailed the concierge and they confirm she is on the list, but I don't see her in the app. Based on the comments in this thread, it sounds like it's possible she is not on the automated upgrade list (and it's just a note on her file).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JordanYVR
My wife is currently flying the return leg of a mixed J award from my account. First leg to YYZ in is J, and then YYZ->YVR is in Y.

I've emailed the concierge and they confirm she is on the list, but I don't see her in the app. Based on the comments in this thread, it sounds like it's possible she is not on the automated upgrade list (and it's just a note on her file).
That is almost certainly the case.

If she's on the list, she'd be on the list.

Try feeding the instructions to the concierge

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.