Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Name Transposed on Ticket What would you do?

Question: Name Transposed on Ticket What would you do?

Old Jan 2, 19, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, BA
Name Transposed on Ticket What would you do?

I stupidly booked a ticket for my partner with her first and last name transposed. Given names on passport: AAA BBB, last name: CCC. I booked a ticket with given name: CCC BBB, last name: AAA. AC ticket stock, but a complex itinerary with LH codeshares, AC, UA, and QF flights. Ticket not changeable, issued by a TA, and AC won't permit name changes (we tried). Anyway, she managed to successfully board the first segment at LHR, check-in agent eventually found her ticket after search by the first name and gave her a boarding pass. No problems so far.

She's due to fly YYZ-(AC)-SFO-(UA)-SYD later this week, and then return SYD-(QF)-YVR-(AC)-YYZ. Yesterday I asked at YYZ check-in yesterday if they'd let her board, and was told emphatically 'no'. Apparently wouldn't be possible because of US regulations. I doubt that, as I found many posts here on FT saying that people have done it successfully, but feel it's more down to the check-in agent.

She's not travelling with any checked baggage, but OLCI doesn't seem to work if the name doesn't match the API info (she was unable to OLCI from LHR). So, we have to deal with check-in agents at YYZ, and I was hoping she'd find a sympathetic one who would issue her a boarding pass for both her SFO and SYD segments (to save her from dealing with UA agents at SFO).

Anyway, today I noticed Aeroplan availability for our itinerary. I'm a bit short of the required miles, but could buy enough to top-up. I could book her a new Aeroplan ticket departing the same day. Unfortunately, unlike with BA, no refunds on Aeroplan tickets... I don't really want to blow $1000+miles on an Aeroplan ticket if it's not necessary though. Trying to determine whether it's worth the risk of seeing if she could board the original routing, vs. the risk of not buying that Aeroplan ticket today and there being no reward space once it's time for her to fly. What would you do?
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by pilot007 View Post
I stupidly booked a ticket for my partner with her first and last name transposed. Given names on passport: AAA BBB, last name: CCC. I booked a ticket with given name: CCC BBB, last name: AAA. AC ticket stock, but a complex itinerary with LH codeshares, AC, UA, and QF flights. Ticket not changeable, issued by a TA, and AC won't permit name changes (we tried). Anyway, she managed to successfully board the first segment at LHR, check-in agent eventually found her ticket after search by the first name and gave her a boarding pass. No problems so far.

She's due to fly YYZ-(AC)-SFO-(UA)-SYD later this week, and then return SYD-(QF)-YVR-(AC)-YYZ. Yesterday I asked at YYZ check-in yesterday if they'd let her board, and was told emphatically 'no'. Apparently wouldn't be possible because of US regulations. I doubt that, as I found many posts here on FT saying that people have done it successfully, but feel it's more down to the check-in agent.

She's not travelling with any checked baggage, but OLCI doesn't seem to work if the name doesn't match the API info (she was unable to OLCI from LHR). So, we have to deal with check-in agents at YYZ, and I was hoping she'd find a sympathetic one who would issue her a boarding pass for both her SFO and SYD segments (to save her from dealing with UA agents at SFO).

Anyway, today I noticed Aeroplan availability for our itinerary. I'm a bit short of the required miles, but could buy enough to top-up. I could book her a new Aeroplan ticket departing the same day. Unfortunately, unlike with BA, no refunds on Aeroplan tickets... I don't really want to blow $1000+miles on an Aeroplan ticket if it's not necessary though. Trying to determine whether it's worth the risk of seeing if she could board the original routing, vs. the risk of not buying that Aeroplan ticket today and there being no reward space once it's time for her to fly. What would you do?
I would highly doubt they would permit her to travel for a few reasons. First and foremost in order to make sure you are not on the no fly list the name on your ticket has to match your ID exactly. Also I don't know what her citizenship is but same goes for the
australian visa if one is required. I am quite surprised they let her through in London but they may not have been doing her a favor if she gets stuck in the middle of her itinerary.
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ace Cdn View Post
I would highly doubt they would permit her to travel for a few reasons. First and foremost in order to make sure you are not on the no fly list the name on your ticket has to match your ID exactly. Also I don't know what her citizenship is but same goes for the
australian visa if one is required. I am quite surprised they let her through in London but they may not have been doing her a favor if she gets stuck in the middle of her itinerary.
Hmm, a lot of posts here on FlyerTalk stating this is quite common and possible (@GUWonder). Any security and immigration concerns should be based off of the API, which has the correct info. Edit: and she's a Canadian citizen.
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:24 pm

Hmm, a lot of posts here on FlyerTalk stating this is quite common and possible (@GUWonder). Any security and immigration concerns should be based off of the API, which has the correct info. Edit: and she's a Canadian citizen.
The passenger protect system (U.S. No fly) goes initially by the information on the reservation and is supplemented by API data. It has been a while since I worked in airports so I am not sure how or if it can be overridden to be able to check someone
in. Please keep us updated as I would be interested to hear how it turns out.
pilot007 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 10:15 am

Programs: air miles
Most, if not all, air tickets i have purchased have always contained a warning on the invoice\itinerary about regulations regarding passenger names matching on the booking and on the passport, and state to contact asap if there is an error in the booking name. So i am curious why you would not find some compassion from the airline/ta/whatever if you just called and explained what happened...

seems odd from the airline/ta
Old Jan 3, 19, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978 View Post
Most, if not all, air tickets i have purchased have always contained a warning on the invoice\itinerary about regulations regarding passenger names matching on the booking and on the passport, and state to contact asap if there is an error in the booking name. So i am curious why you would not find some compassion from the airline/ta/whatever if you just called and explained what happened...

seems odd from the airline/ta
I contacted AC's name correction team, but they said as the itinerary included LH, UA, and QF flights that they could not help. It seems that having booked a complex itinerary nobody wants to touch the ticket as it would have to be re-issued for the name change to occur. Priceline was sympathetic, but said it's up to AC (the ticket issuer) to resolve this for me.

Anyway. Fingers crossed everything will be fine, but at least it appears there is some award availability. Now if only I could get my miles to post and to be swept up to SE100k I'd be able to save some more money on a last minute redemption. And while trying to do a same-day dummy booking on aeroplan.com, I noticed that the date box is based off my browser's timezone. Setting the timezone back to EST allows me to search for departures today (Thursday).
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
First/last name being swapped should never be an issue as long as APIS is correct. Just be prepared for minor inconveniences like showing up to the airport a bit earlier or not being able to OLCI.
pilot007 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:56 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Santander View Post
First/last name being swapped should never be an issue as long as APIS is correct. Just be prepared for minor inconveniences like showing up to the airport a bit earlier or not being able to OLCI.
I agree, I would just show up early and shrug your shoulders if they mention something about the order your name shows on their screen or boarding pass. When I have transposed something I'd estimate 75% of the time checkin agent types for a bit and fix it without mentioning it. 25% of the time they leave the BP as is and security screeners don't see any mismatch since first middle and last names are there..

With people buying tickets worldwide, some systems show last/first, some first/last, some say first names, some say surname, some say family name. things like this are bound to happen.
pilot007 and Santander like this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I've had names fixed at check-in (in person) at the airport. Once I didn't even realize there was a mistake until the agent told me after she had fixed it. This was for a flight to the US.
Old Jan 3, 19, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC ticket stock, but a complex itinerary with LH codeshares, AC, UA, and QF flights
It seems that having booked a complex itinerary nobody wants to touch the ticket as it would have to be re-issued for the name change to occur. Priceline was sympathetic, but said it's up to AC (the ticket issuer) to resolve this for me.
That is part of your problem.

I guess at LHR flying to Canada with a Canadian passport they let her travel.
With XXX - (LH) - WWW and YYZ-(AC)-SFO-(UA)-SYD later this week, and then return SYD-(QF)-YVR-(AC)-YYZ the shrug of the shoulders may/may not work. A lot of international check in's. Hopefully some one will correct all segments.
pilot007 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 19, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
This should not be a problem at all. When I worked for the airlines, this was the most common error on tickets. Some agents don't even notice the switch. Some agents will fix it without even telling you.
for security and border control, they just check that your name match your passport. I mean that whatever is on your BP is in your passport.
Old Jan 4, 19, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Update: she was able to get her boarding passes at YYZ for the next two segments no problem. Check in agent just looked it up with the PNR, made a brief remark about name switched around and issued the boarding passes. So far no problems! Hope we continue to have success on the return leg...
Old Jan 25, 19, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Final update: she was able to travel on all segments, no issues with QF either aside from a check-in agent reluctant to issue her a BP at BNE, he told her she'd have to pick it up in SYD (BNE wasn't on the itinerary, but same day as the flight – fortunately the BNE service desk gave her all BP's).
Santander likes this.

Search this Thread