Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Being waitlisted for an eUpgrade

Question: Being waitlisted for an eUpgrade

Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Being waitlisted for an eUpgrade

Hey All,

I went to perform an eUpgrade a few minutes ago for one of my flights tomorrow. The business class cabin is practically empty according to the AC site, but I was still waitlisted for the upgrade!

Any ideas as to why this is occurring? Perhaps they are saving a few seats for potential last minute pax who are actually paying full fare.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Will_YYT
Hey All,

I went to perform an eUpgrade a few minutes ago for one of my flights tomorrow. The business class cabin is practically empty according to the AC site, but I was still waitlisted for the upgrade!

Any ideas as to why this is occurring? Perhaps they are saving a few seats for potential last minute pax who are actually paying full fare.
What method did you use to figure out business class is practically empty ? How many empty seats ?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:41 am
Original Poster

I went on the AC website and looked under preview seats!

Last edited by codfather; Jan 2, 2019 at 10:42 am Reason: Grammar errors
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Can you tell us the flight?

Most likely R=0 so you will be waitlisted and then upgrades will clear at the gate just before departure.

Using the app you can see where you are on the waitlist.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
The seat map does not represent the number of seats available for sale, nor does it represent the number of seats available for upgrade. It simply shows you which seats on the plane have and have not been pre-selected by passengers with tickets. There needs to be positive space for upgrades which you can check on other sites such as Expertflyer.com. As has been pointed out above, you are looking for R space.
sram, canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
@Will_YYT

The above posters are correct.

Which flight is this? You should check EF or BCD to understand why your eUpgrade attempt put you on the waitlist. The seatmap is not the best way to determine how "full" or "empty" a cabin is.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:37 pm

Another more practical way to check may be to try a dummy booking for 9 seats in business to see if it could be done.
If yes, there are at least 9 vacant seats available for sale. If not, try, 8, then 7...... etc.
If the flight is outside of 48~72 hours, there are bid upgrades that AC would want to consider. Once check-in opens, there're also LMU for purchase. AC may have incentives to leave all free eUpgrade for lower tier members until the gate. My sense is that those willing to pay to upgrade would always be preferred over "free" upgrade particularly lower tier members.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jan 2, 2019 at 1:54 pm
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Another more practical way to check may be to try a dummy booking for 9 seats in business to see if it could be done.
If yes, there are at least 9 vacant seats available for sale. If not, try, 8, then 7...... etc.
If the flight is outside of 48~72 hours, there are bid upgrades that AC would want to consider. Once check-in opens, there're also LMU for purchase. AC may have incentives to leave all free eUpgrade for lower tier members until the gate. My sense is that those willing to pay to upgrade would always be preferred over "free" upgrade particularly lower tier members.
Thanks for the idea! I just tried making the booking with 9 people and it only showed business class and premium economy as having availability. Looks like I will likely get upgraded at the airport in this case.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
As an aside, if one is waitlisted for a Y to J upgrade on an aircraft with O class and the upgrade doesn't clear, will he/she end up in O or Y?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
@Will_YYT

Which flight is this tomorrow?
marke190 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by marke190
As an aside, if one is waitlisted for a Y to J upgrade on an aircraft with O class and the upgrade doesn't clear, will he/she end up in O or Y?
A failed J from Y upgrade will be automatically added to the bottom of the Y to O upgrade list.

That is below everyone who requested a Y to O upgrade, including those who have no status and are in Standard fares.
marke190 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by jc94

A failed J from Y upgrade will be automatically added to the bottom of the Y to O upgrade list.

That is below everyone who requested a Y to O upgrade, including those who have no status and are in Standard fares.
Are you sure about this? Last year I waitlisted a Y to J upgrade on a 3-cabin flight from YYZ-YVR. O also had its own massive waitlist. My upgrade into J did not clear but I was automatically transferred to the O upgrade list and cleared. There is no way my O upgrade would have cleared if I had been put after everyone already on that list.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jc94

Originally Posted by TOR27
Are you sure about this? Last year I waitlisted a Y to J upgrade on a 3-cabin flight from YYZ-YVR. O also had its own massive waitlist. My upgrade into J did not clear but I was automatically transferred to the O upgrade list and cleared. There is no way my O upgrade would have cleared if I had been put after everyone already on that list.
I was wondering the same as I've had several occasions of not clearing J but clearing PY when I know the PY list was at least 10 deep.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The PY list could be full of non-revs which may be processed differently.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The PY list could be full of non-revs which may be processed differently.
Ah that could be quite right. Thanks for bursting my "oh, I guess I'm just special" bubble.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.