Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
When I am working at our Montreal office I get a great view of the traffic landing at 24R/24L at YUL. When they are using those (which they are this afternoon) I find it hard to concentrate and just enjoy watching the flights land :-)
@RatherBeInYOW
Tease!

I posted photos from the plane spotting park at YUL.. I would do that instead of dinner any time. If you go there, you may run into a guy who I think might be permanently glued to his chair. Jean-Claude Trudeau and his friends are the avgeek rulers of that patch of grass. lol Interesting guy. I think he said he worked for Bombardier and is retired. He has binoculars, a camera and a device with which he listens to ATC and then as benefit to his friends and the crowd, announces arrivals and departures. It was fascinating and hilarious. If you look at my post in the Views' thread, you'll see AC aircraft. But there were some really interesting airlines and aircraft - ones we don't see in YYZ for eg. And then the crowds grew for the afternoon prize. Guess which airlines and aircraft? (And yes, got some great shots)

P.S. Here he is, in the same color blue t-shirt he wore when I was there. lol

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...park-1.4810043

Last edited by 24left; Jul 30, 2019 at 1:54 pm
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by 24left
@RatherBeInYOW
Tease!

I posted photos from the plane spotting park at YUL.. I would do that instead of dinner any time. If you go there, you may run into a guy who I think might be permanently glued to his chair. Jean-Claude Trudeau and his friends are the avgeek rulers of that patch of grass. lol Interesting guy. I think he said he worked for Bombardier and is retired. He has binoculars, a camera and a device with which he listens to ATC and then as benefit to his friends and the crowd, announces arrivals and departures. It was fascinating and hilarious. If you look at my post in the Views' thread, you'll see AC aircraft. But there were some really interesting airlines and aircraft - ones we don't see in YYZ for eg. And then the crowds grew for the afternoon prize. Guess which airlines and aircraft? (And yes, got some great shots)

P.S. Here he is, in the same color blue t-shirt he wore when I was there. lol

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...park-1.4810043
That is awesome. Didn't know it was there, very cool.

Unfortunately the park is around the other side of the airport by 24L ... I can actually walk over to the fence line by 24R in about 10 mins but getting around the other side of YUL (where the terminal building is) is a pain, basically you need to go around to the 20. Plus I am going to be Ubering to get there and there is showers / thunderstorms rolling through this afternoon in YUL so I am not getting caught out at the park with nothing but my roll board But I just added that to my list of things to do for next time I am working and flying from YUL - thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
That is awesome. Didn't know it was there, very cool.

Unfortunately the park is around the other side of the airport by 24L ... I can actually walk over to the fence line by 24R in about 10 mins but getting around the other side of YUL (where the terminal building is) is a pain, basically you need to go around to the 20. Plus I am going to be Ubering to get there and there is showers / thunderstorms rolling through this afternoon in YUL so I am not getting caught out at the park with nothing but my roll board But I just added that to my list of things to do for next time I am working and flying from YUL - thanks!
@RatherBeInYOW
Still worth turning yourself into a pretzel on the 20 to get there. Then you can see my namesake from a different angle.

Sign at the entrance to the park

And departing on 24L of course

RatherBeInYOW, PB53x11 and smallmj like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
At the MLB trade deadline Jays ship hurlers Sanchez, Biagini and a minor-leaguer to Astros for outfielder Derek Fisher. While much improved in his past 2 starts, Sanchez has had a tough seasons going 3-14 with a 6.07 earned-run average while losing 10 in a row at one point so a change I think had to be made but again Jays don't get back much for shipping off their starters.

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-blue-jays...tros-1.1344798
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I was rather disappointed in the Jay's trades this year. Mostly pitchers for pitching prospects, many of whom likely won't make it in the majors.

I was hoping they'd be able to get something useful for Smoak, Galvis, even Drury, but I guess nobody was looking for defensive infielders who can get hot at the plate.

I must admit that I was especially hoping for a Smoak trade, since that would open up space for Rowdy Tellez to come back. He seems to be figuring things out in Buffalo. Two months of everyday at first might show us if he has what it takes to be in the spot for the long term. My gut says yes.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: TK *G
Just found a call centre that is as bad if not worse than AC: FedEX.

Got a final delivery notice without getting delivery attempts, so I called. Impossible to speak to a human, the bot pretty much forced to me accept options I didn't want. After 4 calls I decided it's enough and accepted the option that was the most acceptable. Then shortly after a human (from India apparently) called me to confirm.

Now imagine AC doing this:
Bot: Your flight has been cancelled, your options are:
1. Take flight XXX that departs two days later
2. Cancel your ticket
3. Repeat the options
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Friends ! Long time no see... been so crazy at work that I haven’t had a chance to be back on the site. Missed you all!

Just a heads up that I’ve left Aerospace and joined the hospitality industry to take an executive role with AccorHotels , specifically for the Fairmont brand in Western Canada! I have an amazing friends and family discount for 4800+ properties in 100+ countries across 33 brands with Accor so shoot me a DM if you need a place to stay for cheap! Sofitel, Banyan Tree, SLS, Raffles, all part of the family glad to be back!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Friends ! Long time no see... been so crazy at work that I haven’t had a chance to be back on the site. Missed you all!

Just a heads up that I’ve left Aerospace and joined the hospitality industry to take an executive role with AccorHotels , specifically for the Fairmont brand in Western Canada! I have an amazing friends and family discount for 4800+ properties in 100+ countries across 33 brands with Accor so shoot me a DM if you need a place to stay for cheap! Sofitel, Banyan Tree, SLS, Raffles, all part of the family glad to be back!
HA!
Hasn't been the same here without you..... and your party photos.
Sent you an email to say hi.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:43 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

Well, if you are going to be in hospitality, it would be tough to go wrong with Fairmonts. As a consumer, one of my consistent faves and I can only assume that the front office runs to the same standard as what we see. Congrats!

Maybe we'll see you at a future YVR Do.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I'll keep that in mind. Can you keep me Platinum?

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Well, if you are going to be in hospitality, it would be tough to go wrong with Fairmonts. As a consumer, one of my consistent faves and I can only assume that the front office runs to the same standard as what we see. Congrats!

Maybe we'll see you at a future YVR Do.
I'm thinking about organizing something in August.
SKYEG, pewpew and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I am looking to do the 5K Runway Run in September at YYZ with a couple of my friends. Anyone else interested?
https://www.torontopearson.com/en/community/programs/runway-run
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I am looking to do the 5K Runway Run in September at YYZ with a couple of my friends. Anyone else interested?
https://www.torontopearson.com/en/co...ams/runway-run
Yes, a few of us were discussing it last week. I know 2 of us mentioned interest in signing up.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I did it a number of years ago. You don’t have to actually run... a power-walk is fine
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:23 pm

I really really want to, but cannot find a feasible way unless I drive from Clearwater to YVR after work, catch a redeye, do the run, then fly back and drive up to 100 Mile House (the 2 job sites are maybe 90 min apart ... if I do the YYZ thing my drive time increases to ~12-13 hours.)

I will keep searching obscure flights, if I see a reasonable option, I'm in.
canadiancow and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
That's 7K further than I'd prefer to run.

I have 7 kids for a reason: she's stuck so I can comfortably be fat and bald. Don't wreck it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.