Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I knew the Jays would be bad this year (even with the touted 2nd gen callups), but not this bad.
At least you've had a more successful team to cheer for in a different sport. I'm a one sport fan, and my team has only won 7 of their last 31 games.

SIGH
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
@24left 's flying away
set an open course for the virgin sky
She's got to be free
free to face the life that's ahead of her
On board she's the captain
so climb aboard
She'll search for tomorrow
on every shore
And she'll try oh Lord she'll try
to carry on

I look to FT
reflections in the posts spark my memory
Some happy
some sad
I think of FT friends
and the dreams we had
We live happily forever
so the story goes
But somehow we're missing out
on @24left's posts
But we'll try best that we can
to carry on
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:58 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I know FT has designations for "Evangelist" and "Legend" and "Moderator" (ever notice how that one is in red?), but maybe we need a couple of new ones like "Poet Laureate" for @canopus27 and "Official Bard" for @yyznomad.

I feel like I'm back in Mr. Sawyer's Grade 10 Lit class sometimes.
vernonc and lallied like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I know FT has designations for "Evangelist" and "Legend" and "Moderator" (ever notice how that one is in red?), but maybe we need a couple of new ones like "Poet Laureate" for @canopus27 and "Official Bard" for @yyznomad.

I feel like I'm back in Mr. Sawyer's Grade 10 Lit class sometimes.
I was hoping for something more like "Kapellmeister", but "Official Bard" will do.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:11 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Wasn't the Kapellmeister the bad guy in Amadeus?

Or am I confusing this with a Seinfeld episode?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Wasn't the Kapellmeister the bad guy in Amadeus?

Or am I confusing this with a Seinfeld episode?
Yes, Salieri was the "jealous" Kapellmeister.

And they were all wearing Puffy-like Shirts at the time.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good for the Raps in seizing the moment with a strong G3 win against an injury-riddled GS team.
When Splash Bro #2 and KD come off the IL though...
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Good for the Raps in seizing the moment with a strong G3 win against an injury-riddled GS team.
When Splash Bro #2 and KD come off the IL though...
Not sure if they will just yet. Klay has a minor tweak so may be back for game 4. KD has not yet played 3on3 or 5on5 in practice so whether he gets back at all for the finals is a question. He has got one day to get his practice in. At least not for game 4. And even though they are all-stars inserting them in can sometimes cause some issues - like Cousins who seems to be not fully healthy yet. Hopefully Curry has got his 47 out of his system and can now settle down into a funk :-)
jc94 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This may be too US-centric, but I've been wondering how people store their "emergency fund".

I used to have a Bank of America savings account. It paid 0.01%.
I then moved to a Schwab High Yield Investor Checking account. It pays 0.4%, and I no longer need a separate savings account (this has advantages and disadvantages, but that's a separate topic).

I was looking at high yield savings accounts that pay 2-2.25%, however, I also started looking at short-term Treasury Bills.

Let's assume my emergency fund is $10k. I now buy $2500 of T-Bills every week, with a 4 week maturity. They earn variable amounts, but lately 2.2-2.4%, and the interest is not taxable at the federal level. They auto-reinvest, so every 4 weeks, I get a deposit into my account of the difference between the face value of the old one and the purchase price of the new one.

If I ever need my emergency fund, I turn off all reinvestments, and I get $2500/week deposited into my account for 4 weeks, which should be a sufficient schedule.

Thoughts? Anything I can do to improve this?

The goals are:
1. Extremely low risk - This isn't my investment account.
2. Liquid - If I lose my job tomorrow, I need to pay rent. My checking account will have significantly less money than this emergency fund.
3. As high a yield as possible, given the two former constraints.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
This may be too US-centric, but I've been wondering how people store their "emergency fund".

I used to have a Bank of America savings account. It paid 0.01%.
I then moved to a Schwab High Yield Investor Checking account. It pays 0.4%, and I no longer need a separate savings account (this has advantages and disadvantages, but that's a separate topic).

I was looking at high yield savings accounts that pay 2-2.25%, however, I also started looking at short-term Treasury Bills.

Let's assume my emergency fund is $10k. I now buy $2500 of T-Bills every week, with a 4 week maturity. They earn variable amounts, but lately 2.2-2.4%, and the interest is not taxable at the federal level. They auto-reinvest, so every 4 weeks, I get a deposit into my account of the difference between the face value of the old one and the purchase price of the new one.

If I ever need my emergency fund, I turn off all reinvestments, and I get $2500/week deposited into my account for 4 weeks, which should be a sufficient schedule.

Thoughts? Anything I can do to improve this?

The goals are:
1. Extremely low risk - This isn't my investment account.
2. Liquid - If I lose my job tomorrow, I need to pay rent. My checking account will have significantly less money than this emergency fund.
3. As high a yield as possible, given the two former constraints.
You should store enough in an easily accessible (eg checking or savings) account that'll tide you over until you can liquidate anything else the money is in. So with your idea, you'd store enough money to tide you over until the first deposit

​​​​
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pewpew
You should store enough in an easily accessible (eg checking or savings) account that'll tide you over until you can liquidate anything else the money is in. So with your idea, you'd store enough money to tide you over until the first deposit

​​​​
Yes. I don't need much for the first week before the T-Bills would start to mature. The question's more about whether there are any higher-yield liquid and "risk-free" strategies for this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94
Is this somewhere in the PATH?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Is this somewhere in the PATH?
Bloor/Yonge, just near the subway exit that comes out near Shoppers (but other direction).
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94

Bloor/Yonge, just near the subway exit that comes out near Shoppers (but other direction).
Damnit I should've gone with my first guess with Manulife Centre, which is much closer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.