Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyznomad
ADDED: CBJ WUT
Totally bonkers... what. a. comeback.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ffsim
Totally bonkers... what. a. comeback.
I had a weird dream last night that the buds won 8-6 tonight. 😂
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I honestly didn't realize that my 30 paid days off was on the high end. Some things I saw in this thread had me poll some friends and family - I came out on top with the exception of one friend based in the Netherlands.

Every year I negotiate more time in lieu of a raise, but it has been made clear to me that 30 days will be the max. Like @canadiancow I have tried to add unpaid leave to this but in my case have been shot down.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I honestly didn't realize that my 30 paid days off was on the high end. Some things I saw in this thread had me poll some friends and family - I came out on top with the exception of one friend based in the Netherlands.

Every year I negotiate more time in lieu of a raise, but it has been made clear to me that 30 days will be the max. Like @canadiancow I have tried to add unpaid leave to this but in my case have been shot down.
30 is quite a bit in North America. In the tech companies, you'll sometimes see 25 days after 5 years. Facebook is a bit better than most. Then there are the unlimited vacation policies that I tend to like, but many people seem afraid of.

I basically want 30. It doesn't need to be paid, but I want 30.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: TK *G
Looking for a new job gives me a pretty long unpaid leave.
maradori and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
30 is quite a bit in North America. In the tech companies, you'll sometimes see 25 days after 5 years. Facebook is a bit better than most. Then there are the unlimited vacation policies that I tend to like, but many people seem afraid of.

I basically want 30. It doesn't need to be paid, but I want 30.
Yup that's about right, specially in the tech/CE space. Some may have more vacation but those are the old timers with a grandfathered plan. Most are either 3 or 4 weeks with another week accumulated per year worked or after 5 years. My US and Canada teams are on this plan.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Here's the thing though, in NA especially. What is vacation days...

I used to get 22 days (norm was 17) PTO. ie: Paid Time Off. And that included being ill. I had a colleague go about -10 or so due to taking extra time off due to a family death, he was in the negative for a few years, obviously the company loves this because if he was to leave he gets nothing.

I now get 25, 30 will be with longevity if I get that far. But as of this year there's also sick time. So if I am ill, I can take (a little) sick time. This affected some colleagues who got capped down, one was at 30 (the 35 max vanished a few years ago) and due to a lack of seniority was chopped to 25, but gets sick time now. Now in Europe of course, you can ridiculous amount of sick time, months and months after being anywhere for fairly little time.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Don't most workplaces provide separate banks for sick and vacation days, with the expectation that 'sick' days will only be used for genuine illness? The main differentiator is that vacation days are an entitlement, paid out to the employee on departure, whereas sick days are not. I get 15 sick days a year or thereabouts, and have something like 60 of them banked as I have the benefit of good health (and no kids to stay home with when they are sick).
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

I'm actually working my first job now where I don't have unlimited sick time. The various types of paid time off are actually a bit complicated (I haven't figured it all out).

For example, I get 2 days a year for "floating holidays", meant for things like religious holidays that we don't otherwise get off, or holidays in your home country. I always fly up for Canadian Thanksgiving, so that's effectively the same as vacation time to me.

My previous employer recently added 1 day per year for "religious" time. I would have used that for Easter or something, where I also always (except not this year) fly up.

But 22 for vacation+sick actually doesn't sound that great. Unless you never get sick. But I don't think I've ever gone a year using fewer than 5 sick days.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:42 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Ms. Boh used to work for a company that had floating stats.

The rationale was that different people from different cultures would like different stats / observances off, so you could move them around. I think the only one you couldn't move was Xmas, just because they shut down the building. The company was flexible enough that you could also just combine them with your vacation time too.

It would be hell on some team structures from a productivity perspective but I kinda like the idea. Haven't seen it at a lot of other companies, at least here in YVR. 'Unlimited' vacation seems to be trendy in this market.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Wow, I’ve heard of many strict policies and was even under the impression some companies in the US gave zero days off for a year then 5 days. Sick leave barely existed.

Now true the source of this was working in the Bay area some time ago, but she has told stories of more recent cases.

I’ve never heard of unlimited sick leave, normally medical insurance will kick in, or long term disability. Even in the UK you don’t get any sick time for the first few months if memoery serves.

Maybe I am worse of than I thought even with the new sick time stuff lol.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94
Wow, I’ve heard of many strict policies and was even under the impression some companies in the US gave zero days off for a year then 5 days. Sick leave barely existed.

Now true the source of this was working in the Bay area some time ago, but she has told stories of more recent cases.

I’ve never heard of unlimited sick leave, normally medical insurance will kick in, or long term disability. Even in the UK you don’t get any sick time for the first few months if memoery serves.

Maybe I am worse of than I thought even with the new sick time stuff lol.
I think at some point you would progress from "sick" to "disabled", but I don't know the threshold for that. I'm lucky I've never needed to find out.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
So I did end up booking my Alsaka cruise that departs from Seattle.
Will be in SFO for 24 hours between 9PM May 10 and 9PM May 11, any FTers in SFO down to grab a drink?
maradori likes this.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Apr 11, 2019 at 9:21 pm
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
So I did end up booking my Alsaka cruise that departs from Seattle.
Will be in SFO for 24 hours between 9PM May 10 and 9PM May 11, any FTers in SFO down to grab a drink?
Yeah, should be around.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Buds start off with the familiar sense of false security again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.