Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by fin 645
OK
YPO-YAT-ZKE-YFA-YMO-YTS-YYZ-LAX-BNE-TWB-SGO-CMA-XTG

Yes, I looked some of them up - but I've been to 8 of them. Also been to LRE in Qld - a very noteworthy aviation town. Recently flew over CNJ if that counts.
Impressive. I’ve been to two and heard of four, maybe five. I wonder whom on here has been to all of them
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Do you guys value a vacation day equal or more than your after tax income?
I am debating whether to shell out $300 more for a later cruise to Alaska that would cost 4 vacation days vs 5..... but is slightly torn.

I guess I could also row the dice and see if the price would drop more
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Well by law unused vacation days are paid out at your current rate of pay when you leave a job, so a vacation day is worth at least that much. If your employer doesn't let you take extra days without pay, then it's worth even more because it's the money and the ability to not be at work.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:43 am

Depends how much vacation time you have, used and can carry over. Technically you can’t lose days in ON however they can make you take them/pay them, and you can lose anything you her over the legal minimum.

If as I suspect as a new employee you don’t get a great number of days, it may be worth paying more. But if you have no need of the extra day and get separate sick time for example ... maybe better to save.

Helpful lol?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Do you guys value a vacation day equal or more than your after tax income?
I am debating whether to shell out $300 more for a later cruise to Alaska that would cost 4 vacation days vs 5..... but is slightly torn.

I guess I could also row the dice and see if the price would drop more
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Well by law unused vacation days are paid out at your current rate of pay when you leave a job, so a vacation day is worth at least that much. If your employer doesn't let you take extra days without pay, then it's worth even more because it's the money and the ability to not be at work.
I value the time at exactly my current rate of pay.

I always use more than my allotted vacation days, and I refuse to work anywhere that won't give me effectively unlimited unpaid time off, so it's very easy math for me.
​​​​​
maradori and eigenvector like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
At my employer there is an annual united way auction and you can bid on additional vacation days (among other things), with proceeds going to charity. I'm always surprised that people don't bid more for them than they do. I've ended up with a bunch of extra days over the years as a result, paying significantly less than my current rate of pay. Unfortunately I was traveling when last year's auction was going on so didn't get any extra for 2019.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:53 am

Used to be able to flex my pay, so I could buy/sell days at the start of the year with min/max limitations. These days it's more limited unfortunately, can definitely take an unpaid LOA and I know someone who took one for a week (along with 2 weeks vacation and a weeks pat. leave for example) but not sure how open that is if you don't have a good reason.

Definitely could not do one of those jobs with 5 (or even 15 these days) days vacation and no options for more.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I value the time at exactly my current rate of pay.

I always use more than my allotted vacation days, and I refuse to work anywhere that won't give me effectively unlimited unpaid time off, so it's very easy math for me.
​​​​​
Having access to a lot of unpaid time off is the main reason I decided to keep my current job. I had better offers in terms of total compensation, but I don't want more money, I want more time.

The dream for me would be finding a way to work half time for half of my current salary.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
Used to be able to flex my pay, so I could buy/sell days at the start of the year with min/max limitations. These days it's more limited unfortunately, can definitely take an unpaid LOA and I know someone who took one for a week (along with 2 weeks vacation and a weeks pat. leave for example) but not sure how open that is if you don't have a good reason.

Definitely could not do one of those jobs with 5 (or even 15 these days) days vacation and no options for more.
I found that during recent job hunting, it was significantly easier to negotiate a $10k raise than 5 extra days of paid vacation. And I've found that to be true in general. So I often don't even bother. I assume I'll take 6 weeks off, and just factor that in to what they offer. If they'll give me 3, then I subtract ~6% from the salary they offer.

I actually turned down an offer in December because they wouldn't budge beyond 3 weeks paid, 1 week unpaid. "Because it wouldn't be fair to everyone else". I may have mentioned this upthread. But yeah. I value my time. I don't need 12 weeks off. I don't need all my time off to be paid.

My favorite was a discussion with my former manager last July. "Hey, can I take three weeks off in August? Mostly unpaid." "..... well I guess it's better than you quitting".

Amusingly, I was prepared to quit if he'd said no. I was taking those three weeks off.

Having access to a lot of unpaid time off is the main reason I decided to keep my current job. I had better offers in terms of total compensation, but I don't want more money, I want more time.

The dream for me would be finding a way to work half time for half of my current salary.
Yeah I don't want or need 6 months off. I just find it ridiculous that companies will object to 2-4 weeks of unpaid leave.
maradori likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by smallmj
I'm coming to YYZ. I've booked flights Mon-Wed Jul 22-24. Plan to watch the Jays play against Cleveland Jul 22 and/or Jul 23. This will be my first time seeing the Jays live since I saw them play the Yankees at Exhibition Stadium in September 1987. I haven't bought the baseball tickets yet.

I have booked a spot on the YYZ airside tour on Jul 23. Anyone interested is welcome to join me.

Anyone planning a Do in that time frame? I'd love to meet some FT'ers.
Originally Posted by smallmj
This is the site for the tour.
https://www.torontopearson.com/en/airsidetours/#

edit: looks like July 23 has already sold out.
@smallmj
Nobody is organizing a YYZ/YTZ DO during that weekend, that I'm aware of.
I'd say go ahead and start an official thread.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
We're both increasing our musical repertoires then! I learned some new Queen songs this week after watching Bohemian Rhapsody... and then downloaded them from iTunes

Which instrument(s) do you play?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Ha! Laine actually scored.

ADDED: CBJ WUT

Last edited by yyznomad; Apr 10, 2019 at 7:40 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by yyznomad
@smallmj
Nobody is organizing a YYZ/YTZ DO during that weekend, that I'm aware of.
I'd say go ahead and start an official thread.
After seeing the July 23rd date was sold out, I booked a group of 5 for July 19th but that was the highest qty it offered. Now July 19th shows sold out as well.

I think the best way to have a real YYZ Tour DO might be hinted at lower on the registraton page: "Group bookings are possible on a case-by-case basis. Group tours are limited to 30 individuals...."
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expert7700
After seeing the July 23rd date was sold out, I booked a group of 5 for July 19th but that was the highest qty it offered. Now July 19th shows sold out as well.

I think the best way to have a real YYZ Tour DO might be hinted at lower on the registraton page: "Group bookings are possible on a case-by-case basis. Group tours are limited to 30 individuals...."
I don't know what @smallmj was referring to with respect to:

1. being in town (for the tour) and having a DO because he's in town, or
2. organizing a Tour DO like in the past, or
3. other

I frankly don't care which one it is... I just won't be attending the tour. But at the same time I'm assuming, there will be some sort of DO gathering outside of the tour itself.

My suggestion was for him to actually start a DO thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:33 am

Certainly one of the reasons I've not left my position, I could get more money but I get 25 days paid vacation and that increases to 30 days soon.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I found that during recent job hunting, it was significantly easier to negotiate a $10k raise than 5 extra days of paid vacation. And I've found that to be true in general. So I often don't even bother. I assume I'll take 6 weeks off, and just factor that in to what they offer. If they'll give me 3, then I subtract ~6% from the salary they offer.

I actually turned down an offer in December because they wouldn't budge beyond 3 weeks paid, 1 week unpaid. "Because it wouldn't be fair to everyone else". I may have mentioned this upthread. But yeah. I value my time. I don't need 12 weeks off. I don't need all my time off to be paid.

My favorite was a discussion with my former manager last July. "Hey, can I take three weeks off in August? Mostly unpaid." "..... well I guess it's better than you quitting".

Amusingly, I was prepared to quit if he'd said no. I was taking those three weeks off.

Yeah I don't want or need 6 months off. I just find it ridiculous that companies will object to 2-4 weeks of unpaid leave.
Yeah I remember the July and December ones I didn't know it was that much harder to negotiate for more time off, it is one of the few things I miss about Europe where 20 days is the minimum standard.

Originally Posted by expert7700

I'd be up for that

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I don't know what @smallmj was referring to with respect to:

1. being in town (for the tour) and having a DO because he's in town, or
2. organizing a Tour DO like in the past, or
3. other

I frankly don't care which one it is... I just won't be attending the tour. But at the same time I'm assuming, there will be some sort of DO gathering outside of the tour itself.

My suggestion was for him to actually start a DO thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Agreed; on the thread aspect that is
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: A3 Silver
I guess I shouldn't complain about the 28 paid days off I get here in Berlin
smallmj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.