Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Another day, another Jays loss. This rebuild is looking more painful than I expected.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Although I may have burned my nose today driving around with the top down.
What were you driving?

Originally Posted by yyznomad
In other news, I learned how to play the Alexander Siloti piano reduction of the Waltz from Sleeping Beauty (Tchaikovsky, Op. 66, Act I, No. 6) this week. The reprise of the main theme was the most difficult with the left hand melody and the right hand leaps.
We're both increasing our musical repertoires then! I learned some new Queen songs this week after watching Bohemian Rhapsody... and then downloaded them from iTunes

Originally Posted by vernonc
Keeping a close eye on EPL too. Shaping up to be a eventful end of season. With top place still too close to call.
And a battle for 3rd and 4th place Champions league qualification with at least 4/5 teams still in the mix. MU lost yesterday. Hopefully Chelsea follows suit today :-)
It's a crazy tight race.

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Yeah, I'm eating ice cream. No, I don't need it and no, I most certainly did not earn it.
Ah, but these days, it's not about whether you need it or earn it, it's about whether you "deserve" it

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I know what a mini-RTW itinerary is, but not sure about a mini-RTW flight. Is that like taking off from LYR then flying all the way around 78° N or something like that?

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I just finished my first week of work.
How is it so far?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 6, 2019 at 4:35 pm
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
How is it so far?
It's good. I haven't had a commute this long in almost 4 years though
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
People need to stop saying "half of all X are below average, by definition"... it's untrue and misleading. (example: average 1100, 1000, 1200, and 2).

Maybe someday I can even start to get people to factor in standard deviation and CIs... one day. A man can dream.

I entirely blame George Carlin's famous "below average" routine.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 8, 2019 at 6:12 am
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by D404
People need to stop saying "half of all X are below average, by definition"... it's untrue and misleading. (example: average 1100, 1000, 1200, and 2).

Maybe someday I can even start to get people to factor in standard deviation and CIs... one day. A man can dream.

Would that work with median? Which given your four examples would be 1050
flyquiet likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond

Would you be happier if I clarified "median, not mean or mode" when I make any subsequent "average" claims?

I think the median of your list is 1050, and sure enough half the numbers are below it ...
canadiancow and RangerNS like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by canopus27
Would you be happier if I clarified "median, not mean or mode" when I make any subsequent "average" claims?

I think the median of your list is 1050, and sure enough half the numbers are below it ...
The pedant in me would! 'Average' to most is mean... I swear after high school, most people just forget anything else exists.

Originally Posted by jc94
Would that work with median? Which given your four examples would be 1050
Hehe. Might not work as a well in a comedy routine, though.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS

It's commonly used to describe characteristics that are distributed normally. In these cases, mean = median, so 50% of all points are above and 50% are below
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by pewpew
It's commonly used to describe characteristics that are distributed normally. In these cases, mean = median, so 50% of all points are above and 50% are below
Commonly used to describe things are not distribute normally, as well, anecdotally.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: *G
Twelve flights apart? The world's worst and best connected airports

"....the world's best connected airport - it's Heathrow.....with its 204 direct options, was handed a "Connectivity Index" of 333 in OAG's 2018 "Megahubs" report, putting it comfortably ahead of Chicago O'Hare (306 points), Frankfurt (302), Amsterdam (286) and Toronto Pearson (271)."

"Peawanuck is a contender for the world's worst connected airport. Should you wish to reach, say, Thargomindah Airport in Queensland, you'll need to board a remarkable 12 separate flights. The route, for the record, goes Attawapiskat (1), Kashechewan (2), Fort Albany (3), Moosonee (4), Timmins (5), Toronto (6), Los Angeles (7), Brisbane (8), Toowoomba (9), St George (10), Cunnamulla (11), Thargomindah (12).

As a veteran of flights to YAT, I always enjoyed the YFA-ZKE sector "flying time of 2 minutes at 500ft". And once did it two days before LAX-SYD on a QF 747SP in the early days of such nonstops.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:47 am

I'm coming to YYZ. I've booked flights Mon-Wed Jul 22-24. Plan to watch the Jays play against Cleveland Jul 22 and/or Jul 23. This will be my first time seeing the Jays live since I saw them play the Yankees at Exhibition Stadium in September 1987. I haven't bought the baseball tickets yet.

I have booked a spot on the YYZ airside tour on Jul 23. Anyone interested is welcome to join me.

Anyone planning a Do in that time frame? I'd love to meet some FT'ers.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by fin 645
Twelve flights apart? The world's worst and best connected airports

"....the world's best connected airport - it's Heathrow.....with its 204 direct options, was handed a "Connectivity Index" of 333 in OAG's 2018 "Megahubs" report, putting it comfortably ahead of Chicago O'Hare (306 points), Frankfurt (302), Amsterdam (286) and Toronto Pearson (271)."

"Peawanuck is a contender for the world's worst connected airport. Should you wish to reach, say, Thargomindah Airport in Queensland, you'll need to board a remarkable 12 separate flights. The route, for the record, goes Attawapiskat (1), Kashechewan (2), Fort Albany (3), Moosonee (4), Timmins (5), Toronto (6), Los Angeles (7), Brisbane (8), Toowoomba (9), St George (10), Cunnamulla (11), Thargomindah (12).

As a veteran of flights to YAT, I always enjoyed the YFA-ZKE sector "flying time of 2 minutes at 500ft". And once did it two days before LAX-SYD on a QF 747SP in the early days of such nonstops.
I demand airport codes for that routing

Originally Posted by smallmj
I'm coming to YYZ. I've booked flights Mon-Wed Jul 22-24. Plan to watch the Jays play against Cleveland Jul 22 and/or Jul 23. This will be my first time seeing the Jays live since I saw them play the Yankees at Exhibition Stadium in September 1987. I haven't bought the baseball tickets yet.

I have booked a spot on the YYZ airside tour on Jul 23. Anyone interested is welcome to join me.

Anyone planning a Do in that time frame? I'd love to meet some FT'ers.
Perhaps. How does one book such a tour? Let’s hope the Jays learn to hit a few balls and give away fewer runs by then.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:24 pm

Perhaps. How does one book such a tour? Let’s hope the Jays learn to hit a few balls and give away fewer runs by then.
This is the site for the tour.
https://www.torontopearson.com/en/airsidetours/#

edit: looks like July 23 has already sold out.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
How have we not had a YYZ tour do?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: *G

I demand airport codes for that routing
OK
YPO-YAT-ZKE-YFA-YMO-YTS-YYZ-LAX-BNE-TWB-SGO-CMA-XTG

Yes, I looked some of them up - but I've been to 8 of them. Also been to LRE in Qld - a very noteworthy aviation town. Recently flew over CNJ if that counts.
jc94 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.