Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by 24left
I rarely have Kit Kats in close proximity when doing searches.
Originally Posted by jasdou
So you are saying that Kit Kats are your kryptonite, effectively shutting down your searching skills when you are in close contact with them?
If this is the case, left must be immediately cut off from Kit Kats. We need her searching skills.

I will notify AC immediately.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
If this is the case, left must be immediately cut off from Kit Kats. We need her searching skills.

Funny guys.

24L has been busy with some relatives.

Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I think now would be a good time to share this photo from .. February I think.

songsc and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
So I think I posted about the time I gave my FedEx number to a vendor who could not provide the packed dimensions of the product I had purchased. My carelessness led to an 11k FedEx bill getting autocharged to my AMEX.

It's months later now.

FedEx has offered me a 35% one time refund. It was their first and only offer so far, and they stated it's the best they can do. Should I push back and ask for 50%?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:49 pm

Not going to happen, they are written into her contract of carriage as I understand it.
24left and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
So I think I posted about the time I gave my FedEx number to a vendor who could not provide the packed dimensions of the product I had purchased. My carelessness led to an 11k FedEx bill getting autocharged to my AMEX.

It's months later now.

FedEx has offered me a 35% one time refund. It was their first and only offer so far, and they stated it's the best they can do. Should I push back and ask for 50%?
I can’t recall the details. Did they deliver the package but size led to it being slightly more then you expected? Was it your personal cost or something company or expensable?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by jc94

I can’t recall the details. Did they deliver the package but size led to it being slightly more then you expected? Was it your personal cost or something company or expensable?
I had ordered a sample of a product with the same physical dimensions/weight (5% of total volume), from McMaster Carr. They do have good rates on shipping given that they have huge volume. The cost for overnight shipping on the 5% sample was $40USD. I didn't think it through that FedEx would be an order of magnitude above that cost for the full scale order.

Normally when shipping larger items by air freight I use Air Canada Cargo. Who I later got to quote the same shipment and they came in at less than $1K. FedEx did tell me on the phone that they can't touch ACs rates.

It's a business expense. I own the business. I don't think it's reasonable to try to pass the obscene shipping charge onto my customer. At 50% off I might have a chance of recovering the cost.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
@WaytoomuchEurope the NEXUS thread used to be in the AC forum but it was moved over to travel security, so you'd have to know to search all of FT and not AC to get it. Fortunately @24left was there to step in with the link!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by flyquiet
@WaytoomuchEurope the NEXUS thread used to be in the AC forum but it was moved over to travel security, so you'd have to know to search all of FT and not AC to get it. Fortunately @24left was there to step in with the link!
Yes, there is an FT beyond the AC forum.
Nitehawk, 24left, jc94 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
This whole thing is just getting embarrassing for me now...
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I had ordered a sample of a product with the same physical dimensions/weight (5% of total volume), from McMaster Carr. They do have good rates on shipping given that they have huge volume. The cost for overnight shipping on the 5% sample was $40USD. I didn't think it through that FedEx would be an order of magnitude above that cost for the full scale order.

Normally when shipping larger items by air freight I use Air Canada Cargo. Who I later got to quote the same shipment and they came in at less than $1K. FedEx did tell me on the phone that they can't touch ACs rates.

It's a business expense. I own the business. I don't think it's reasonable to try to pass the obscene shipping charge onto my customer. At 50% off I might have a chance of recovering the cost.
Ah I remember this.

I have no experience here, but I'd probably be a little annoyed with the vendor that they accepted an $11k charge for you. I don't know what you can do with FedEx though.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
This whole thing is just getting embarrassing for me now...
Which part?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:30 pm

Yeah especially if 5% is $40 100% being 11k does not sound valid. And passing it all on could cost a client, if they even pay.

Definitely would expect a company to flag $11k unless orders are often that cost. Maybe doesn’t help now but can you set a limit with them, or a flag on the card? I get texts on large payments, possibly in time to block or call them up about.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Thanks for everything, Ichiro. Emotional on-field farewell it was. Glad you were back in your original MLB team's gear and playing at Tokyo Dome.
ありがとうございました!
tcook052 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I didn't think it through that FedEx would be an order of magnitude above that cost for the full scale order.
I'd involve the vendor rather than Fedex.

You ordered X/20 and saw freight cost of $40
Naturally you expected (at most) 20x$40 , and at best some form of volume savings.

If you chargeback/dispute as 'unauthorized amount', Fedex will rebill the vendor at their own rate. Perhaps their discount is much higher. or, if Fedex sends it to a collection agency you could likely settle for 20-30 cents on the dollar.

Even if it is not lower, someone in their shipping dept. saw the astronomical price before hitting submit to print labels.
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.