Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Thanks to @Bohemian1 for a fun and awesome evening, great gifts, cool drinks, nice long walk, and fantastic dinner in YVR on my way home from HKG.

So awesome to receive these welcome gifts when I arrived at YVR. Outstanding and LOL.

Gorgeous view from the SkyTrain

Cool spot for drinks

Champagne cocktail

Cheers

Sun setting in the distance

Just a couple of the items we enjoyed at dinner

Fantastic

Outstanding

Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:39 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Always fun to hang with the FlyerTalk Illuminati!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
@24left I don't think I've ever seen downtown Vancouver look so inviting. Great pictures as always.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Tit/LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Enterprise Gold, UA*S, Accor Gold, Hz 5*
So in all my wisdom, I decided to make a weekend trip to Taipei to burn Eups. I’ve never done a quick intl turn like this before. I usually think those that do are nuts lol. If my seats deflate I will definitely question my decision making abilities. Leaving YYJ tomorrow arriving TPE Saturday evening, leaving TPE Sunday evening (to YYJ with a long YVR layover to go eat).

What at should I do? Where should I stay? Anyone else gonna be around? Last time I stayed at Le Meridien. Considering going to other way to Hsinchu. I like food, but not massive lineups. Maybe get some excersize hiking as well.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
So in all my wisdom, I decided to make a weekend trip to Taipei to burn Eups. Ive never done a quick intl turn like this before. I usually think those that do are nuts lol. If my seats deflate I will definitely question my decision making abilities. Leaving YYJ tomorrow arriving TPE Saturday evening, leaving TPE Sunday evening (to YYJ with a long YVR layover to go eat).

What at should I do? Where should I stay? Anyone else gonna be around? Last time I stayed at Le Meridien. Considering going to other way to Hsinchu. I like food, but not massive lineups. Maybe get some excersize hiking as well.
Paging @Plumber @24left @Transpacificflyer etc etc etc
Nitehawk, Bohemian1 and 24left like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Tit/LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Enterprise Gold, UA*S, Accor Gold, Hz 5*
Whoa, just noticed Nomad is not SE anymore! You really are a FOTSG?!?!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Whoa, just noticed Nomad is not SE anymore! You really are a FOTSG?!?!

Sadly (some say happily, but that's a state of mind), this is correct. FOTSG life FTW.
However, I see the light at the end of the tunnel for 3MM. I had planned on getting it next year but due to changes in work/life circumstances, it looks more like 2021/2022 for LTSE.
I've been flying a lot more WS lately, if you can believe that. AC is with rock-bottom Basic fares (I think they are awesome) and the occasional AP redemption. I'll do Standard/Flex on OPM sometimes as well.

I was going to suggest another FTer to help you with TPE, but they've been suspended for good... a few times.
maradori likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:46 pm

Talking about TPE: I have an OZ flight into TPE arriving at 10:00, and am taking BR36 departing at 19:40. I'll want to shower and get some food but other than that, has anyone any suggestions on killing time? I know TPE has pretty well nothing worth seeing immediately around it, but what about inside the terminals, or a cab-ride away?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad

I was going to suggest another FTer to help you with TPE, but they've been suspended for good... a few times.
Haha, I will email him.

WS is looking tempting these days. Comp upgrades, and real J seats on the max... I actually flew WS plus on my last trip...
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Paging @Plumber @24left @Transpacificflyer etc etc etc
You rang?

So in all my wisdom, I decided to make a weekend trip to Taipei to burn Eups. I’ve never done a quick intl turn like this before. I usually think those that do are nuts lol. If my seats deflate I will definitely question my decision making abilities. Leaving YYJ tomorrow arriving TPE Saturday evening, leaving TPE Sunday evening (to YYJ with a long YVR layover to go eat).

24 hours in TPE?

Ask @Plumber & Mrs Plumber. Last year, I arrived on AC 17 (at the time AC 11) and went through transfer security, got to the Infinity lounge, washed my hands, had some water, met the Plumbers and we all walked together to fly back on AC 18 (then AC 12). I had maybe 1.5 hours on the ground.

You have 24 or slightly less. So much you can do, depending on your mood, level of tired and weather I suppose.

EDIT to add: great suggestions from Plumber in post below. I really enjoyed the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial. We waited in line for over an hour for Din Tai Fung and gave up and went elsewhere.

Last edited by 24left; Feb 7, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP

I will be in the INTL YVR MLL tomorrow till about 11:15 or so.....or may sneak out the bar in the concourse that seems to open at 10 am ... BUt I am headed to ICN, not TPE.

Personally I would stay away from Hsinchu, unless you just want to hang out at the Club Lounge at the Sheraton Hsinchu.

I often stay at the Sheraton Grande Taipei (the old LaiLai Hotel). It is right above the metro for easy access, and is a 1km walk away from the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall, which is a great 2 km loop around early in the morning when you are up. It is a quick ride to the Tapei 101 area and a quick subway ride or taxi to a bunch of night markets. Plus the Club Lounge is aweome! Go to Din Tai Fung for their special xiaolongbao.... I know its a chain, but the Taipei locations are excellent!
Nitehawk and 24left like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Plumber
I will be in the INTL YVR MLL tomorrow till about 11:15 or so.....or may sneak out the bar in the concourse that seems to open at 10 am

I often stay at the Sheraton Grande Taipei (the old LaiLai Hotel)...Plus the Club Lounge is aweome!

We should get together and grab a drink if this bar is actually open. I arrive YVR around 9am on AC8056...

As for the Sheraton Grande, I will stay there. How late is the Club Lounge usually serving in the evenings?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
We should get together and grab a drink if this bar is actually open. I arrive YVR around 9am on AC8056...

As for the Sheraton Grande, I will stay there. How late is the Club Lounge usually serving in the evenings?
If I recall, drinks are 5 pm to 8 PM, with most hot food starting at 5:30 pm. Once drinks are done, you can still have beer and wine (not sure exactly until what time because I normally leave while they still have these things out- maybe till 10PM??

I arrive on 341 from YOW at 09:30...so lets keep in touch and have a drink!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

I think they were closing up the Club lounge at around 10pm last time I was there visiting a colleague. Maybe they were not closing but just removing all the dinner options. I cannot remember which one but I think either the Westin or Sheraton is closing down, not sure when.
You might want to also consider the Grand Hyatt which is where I stayed a few times and which I really like. There is a covered walkway to TPE101 which apart from the great view has some very high end shopping a lots of restaurants incl the famous Din Tai Fun but as others have pointed out there will be a lineup. Bonus if you experience an earthquake while on the 101 floor which did happen to me :-). The Grand Hyatt also has some very good restaurants. You can also chose to visit the State museum (National Palace Museum) but be prepared to follow large groups of Chinese tourists with flag waving guides.
If you are brave soul, try a night market and bonus points if you try the oyster omelet or the stinky tofu. No need to ask when you get to the market, just follow your nose.
Plumber likes this.

Last edited by vernonc; Feb 7, 2019 at 2:11 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vernonc
I think they were closing up the Club lounge at around 10pm last time I was there visiting a colleague. Maybe they were not closing but just removing all the dinner options. I cannot remember which one but I think either the Westin or Sheraton is closing down, not sure when.
You might want to also consider the Grand Hyatt which is where I stayed a few times and which I really like. There is a covered walkway to TPE101 which apart from the great view has some very high end shopping a lots of restaurants incl the famous Din Tai Fun but as others have pointed out there will be a lineup. Bonus if you experience an earthquake while on the 101 floor which did happen to me :-). The Grand Hyatt also has some very good restaurants. You can also chose to visit the State museum (National Palace Museum) but be prepared to follow large groups of Chinese tourists with flag waving guides.
The Westin TPE closed Dec 31. According to the articles in the local newspapers it has not made any money since it opened.
vernonc likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.