Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What a performance from the defence. Couldn't believe how well they shut down pretty much everything the Rams were trying to do.

Lots of key contributions from both Edelman and Hightower. Hard not to wonder what would have happened last year had they been around, especially Hightower.
It was a classic case of Bill out coaching the opponent to the max.

Weird to watch the Pats play such a neutered offense but they knew that's what they had to do in order to win. I'll take it.

Tom Brady is tied with the Steelers for most championships in history. It's incredible.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
No. 34 locked!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .99MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I see.
Next game to look forward to... Leafs vs. Habs this Saturday.
@jasdou and I are looking forward to seeing the top two teams in the NHL next Tuesday in TPA!

I expected the Lightning to be very good this year (but maybe not this good), but my Flames are a pleasant surprise, and seem like the real deal!!
jasdou likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Tom Brady is tied with the Steelers for most championships in history. It's incredible.
This is true however he was gifted two of those SB's with the miracles that happened against both the Seahawks and Falcons. I'm not saying Brady isn't great but just think if Pats had lost those two SB's he'd have a record of 4 wins in 9 SB appearances.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .99MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by tcook052
This is true however he was gifted two of those SB's with the miracles that happened against both the Seahawks and Falcons. I'm not saying Brady isn't great but just think if Pats had lost those two SB's he'd have a record of 4 wins in 9 SB appearances.
4 in 9 would still be amazing, especially the "in 9" part!

As for your argument, I am sure the Pats made big errors in both of those games. Fact is he has won 6....

Signed,

Not a Pats fan
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:09 pm

And still be the greatest ever.

Watch yerself, Mod.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
4 in 9 would still be amazing, especially the "in 9" part!

As for your argument, I am sure the Pats made big errors in both of those games. Fact is he has won 6....
Of course the Pats made errors in letting the Falcons race out to a 25-point lead and of course I'm not saying he didn't win 6 or that winning 4 isn't an accomplishment but just that a few different bounces and his record would look very different.

Look at Lebron who hasn't benefited from as many miracles as Brady and only has 3 NBA titles in 9 trips to the finals. 3 titles is also an accomplishment many players would covet and his impact on the modern game has put him up there with some of the greatest ever but compared to others like Jordan with 6 titles or Russel with 11 it looks very different. That's all I'm saying...
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
No. 34 locked!
Hopefully, it will also soon say "No. 16 locked!"
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
@jasdou and I are looking forward to seeing the top two teams in the NHL next Tuesday in TPA!

I expected the Lightning to be very good this year (but maybe not this good), but my Flames are a pleasant surprise, and seem like the real deal!!
Also looking forward to the pre-game in-flight micro-Do, lol!
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:11 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I don't agree with your logic, but even if I did, it cuts both ways. Remember David Tyree? A man with 54 career receptions, catching a ball on his helmet, after an immobile quarterback somehow escaped being sacked when several guys had their hands on him. There's a miracle for you. How about the Manningham catch deep down the sideline in the second game against the Giants - a QB not exactly known for accuracy on deep balls, throwing to a well-covered 3rd string wide receiver not known for making great catches?

As for Seattle, what miracle? You mean the miracle of the ball that had been batted away somehow landing in Kearse's lap for a 30+ yard gain as he was lying on the ground, flailing around for it? Because if you're talking about the interception as a miracle, you're (a) falling for the fallacy that somehow Lynch was guaranteed to score if they had handed him the ball, (b) forgetting about the clock situation - 2nd down and goal with under a minute to go and only one timeout, it was logical to throw on 2nd or 3rd down to preserve clock and have a chance to run all 3 plays, if needed, and (c) ignoring the fact that the interception was down to preparation - the Pats had seen the play on film and prepared for it in practice, which allowed Butler to diagnose it and jump the route.

So, now we're up to 7 in 9 in our revisionist count, I think.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:03 am

I don't agree with your logic, but even if I did, it cuts both ways.
Yes the Pats have had some miracles go against them but it just seems to me like they'd had far more go their way than go against them. Good teams do what it takes to win and won't take that away from them as they have been a very good team for a very long time.

At any rate, I have to talk football as can't talk hockey anymore given the abysmal play of the Edmonton based NHL team this season...
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:36 am

Yes the Pats have had some miracles go against them but it just seems to me like they'd had far more go their way than go against them. Good teams do what it takes to win and won't take that away from them as they have been a very good team for a very long time.

At any rate, I have to talk football as can't talk hockey anymore given the abysmal play of the Edmonton based NHL team this season...
Come on, talking football is a privilege not a "have to"!

But I can understand your point, because things aren't so good in Oil Country.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:18 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
How do the Oilers manage to be so bad? As much as I dislike them, being born and bred in Calgary, I actually find it difficult to watch. I don't know how they just never seem to get it all together. With all the money going to McDavid and Draisaitl, it's not going to get much easier.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Hopefully, it will also soon say "No. 16 locked!"
I think this will be more difficult/bloody as No 16 wants what No 34 got and the Buds need to keep some spare change to lock a few more players. Read the comments from his agent this morning complaining about how Mitch is the only one being asked for a hometown discount. Also they feel like they got stiffed at the last round of contracts when they were told the Leafs do not do Schedule B bonus and soon after Mitch signed apparently offered it to others which seems to have cost Mitch a fair chunk or change given his performance. Assuming the Leafs do not want Mitch's new contract to end at the same time at Auston, then they will have to have a shorter or longer contract, more likely a 6 year contract.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:50 am

How do the Oilers manage to be so bad? As much as I dislike them, being born and bred in Calgary, I actually find it difficult to watch. I don't know how they just never seem to get it all together.
Me neither and yes, it is hard to watch. The highs of making the playoffs a few seasons ago have been replaced by the lows of mediocrity in the past two years with bad trades and signings, good goalies that just aren't stopping pucks and a shallow scoring pool beyond Connor & Leon. Much as I'd like to say the best way out of the current mess is to do X there aren't any magic wands to wave and improve things overnight.Hiring Hitch seemed to pay dividends right away but maybe the players have already tuned him out as they keep making the same mistakes. Until their hockey fundamentals improve their point total isn't like to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.