Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Nope, didn't drop it. Was on a trip last week and it was working fine when I went to bed. In the morning it looked like this:

Display is funky and touch screen no longer works.
Yuck... that sucks. And I know what you mean by having a smaller phone.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Nope, didn't drop it. Was on a trip last week and it was working fine when I went to bed. In the morning it looked like this:

Display is funky and touch screen no longer works.
Its a very specific pattern, so some connection may be lose.... It may recover with some retorquing of the screws.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:05 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Its a very specific pattern, so some connection may be lose.... It may recover with some retorquing of the screws.
Yeah, that was my conclusion / hope as well. I will see on Monday when I take it in.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I had that exact same thing happen. I was at the departure gate at LAX for my red-eye to YVR and confirmed upgrade to lie-flat YVRYYZ overnight, and my phone suddenly borked into prison bars AND the flight was cancelled. And of course I can't phone anybody so I was twittering on my laptop to AC trying to get another flight. Ended up in the recliners on the Airbus for LAXYYZ direct, which was specifically what I was trying to avoid... Your screenshot brings back bad memories!
(It could NOT be fixed. Needed a new phone.)
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I had that exact same thing happen. I was at the departure gate at LAX for my red-eye to YVR and confirmed upgrade to lie-flat YVRYYZ overnight, and my phone suddenly borked into prison bars AND the flight was cancelled. And of course I can't phone anybody so I was twittering on my laptop to AC trying to get another flight. Ended up in the recliners on the Airbus for LAXYYZ direct, which was specifically what I was trying to avoid... Your screenshot brings back bad memories!
(It could NOT be fixed. Needed a new phone.)
Sorry to bring back that bad memory. I got stressed just reading about it!

Although I was travelling at the time, my flights were all pristine. But you never really realize how dependent your are on these handy tools until the excrement hits the rotary oscillator, so to speak.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
It was at the same time as the Robin Thicke number with that Beetlejuice suit so out of the corner of my eye, I thought the phone had picked up an entertainment headline...
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I went to a bar tonight with a friend.

Three beers on my tab.

It came to $35. That looked obscenely high for three beers at this place, but the receipt wasn't itemized. I then noticed the name on it was Thomas Kennedy. "Hey barkeep, wrong Kennedy." He went back to his computer, typed a bit, came back, "Are you Scott?" "Yeah" "Your tab was closed out and we gave the card away. I'm refunding your purchase. If you write down your number, I'll give you a call if/when we get your card back." There was a bit more to it than that, but yeah.

I didn't even notice at first because it was the same card as mine (Chase Sapphire Reserve).

So I went home, checked pending transactions (just the $35 and -$35 from the bar), and called Chase. 7 minute wait time. By the time I got through, there was a new $12 charge from another nearby bar.

Chase asked if my "Air Can" or "Palliser" charges from last month were legitimate. Probably my largest two transactions in the past 30 days, but we're talking a 20x difference between the two, and lots within 10% of the Palliser. I reiterated that the card was in my position until a few hours ago, and only the $35, -$35, and $12 were not me. They marked them all as fraudulent, cancelled the card, and offered to have a new one to me in 5-10 business days. I said 10 was not acceptable, so they said they could get one to me by Monday (quite a difference, eh?).

As soon as that phone call finished, my phone rang. It was the bartender, telling me my card had been returned, and I still wouldn't be charged for my drinks tonight.

I'd rather pay the $25 than deal with this, but here we are.

I wasn't super impressed with Chase though. Fraud requires deception, and I highly doubt there was any deception here. They also didn't care what happened or how it happened, just that transactions A B C were "fraud", and I was no longer in possession of the card. I hope the second bar doesn't take a hit for this, as I highly doubt Thomas was even aware of this (otherwise he wouldn't have returned my card within a couple hours).

Anyway, I guess I need to start giving my full name when I order drinks, and triple checking I get the right card back.

Bonus points if you find the unexplained component of my story
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:51 am

That's really annoying.

I probably already know the answer, but I'm guessing the card is not chip and PIN (at least not in the US)?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
That's really annoying.

I probably already know the answer, but I'm guessing the card is not chip and PIN (at least not in the US)?
Few cards down here are chip and pin -- of my 20+ cards, only my Target credit card does chip+pin (in fact, the back doesn't even have a mag strip). It's only recently that my Amex cards now have the NFC/RFID symbol (which my PC Financial mastercard had for what, at least 6 years?)

It's situations like the cow's which is why I pay with my Amex Plat instead -- even though I also have the CSR, it's become waaaaaaay too basic of a card
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Is the unexplained component that none of the #s you mention add up to $25?

I wouldn't accept a Monday replacement. 800-visa-911 can get it to you same day/next day worldwide. They advertise this service so I pushed them (twice) to come thru.

Visa911 does a conf call with issuer and gets permission plus card #/ccv/expiration to basically clone your new card . They make a plain white card that just says 'emergency card' in big block letters likely rarer than the elusive centurion card.

card 1) Asked for new cards for me and spouse on a Saturday night @ 23h58. Shipped UPS from Kentucky at 2am Sunday, arrived at Buffalo Aloft hotel by 7am. Except they forgot her card....

Card 2) Called back Sunday evening. Printed her a card and put it on a commercial flight as cargo Monday to meet us in Hawaii on a 6hr daytime layover. They paid us $300 to book a hotel as their policy only allows for home/work/hotel delivery. (I had pressed for Airport ticket counter or hertz manager). In the end I met courier van at airport arrivals lane just before I had to board. I was handed a huge burlap sack with her new card.
pewpew and Bohemian1 like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Jan 5, 2019 at 2:55 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by expert7700

I wouldn't accept a Monday replacement. 800-visa-911 can get it to you same day/next day worldwide. They avertise this service so I pushed them (twice) to come thru.

Visa911 does a conf call with issuer and gets permission plus card #/ccv/expiration to basically clone your new card . They make a plain white card that just says 'emergency card' in big block letters likely rarer than the elusive centurion card.

card 1) Asked for new cards for me and spouse on a Saturday night @ 23h58. Shipped UPS from Kentucky at 2am Sunday, arrived at Buffalo Aloft hotel by 7am. Except they forgot her card....

Card 2) Called back Sunday evening. Printed her a card and put it on a commercial flight as cargo Monday to meet us in Hawaii on a 6hr daytime layover. They paid us $300 to book a hotel as their policy only allows for home/work/hotel delivery. (I had pressed for Airport ticket counter or hertz manager). In the end I met courier van at airport arrivals lane just before I had to board. I was handed a huge burlap sack with her new card.
Isn't that only for (Canadian) visa infinite cards?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Bonus points if you find the unexplained component of my story
I'm not looking for bonus point but am actually confused...If the card that you received with the bill was Thomas', why would YOUR account be showing $35? Wouldn't it have been $25 (what you expected the 3 beers to be)? My assumption is that if Thomas got your card, he also got your bill, and vice versa.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Canucks at the building fka ACC tonight.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700
Originally Posted by SteadyAT
I'm not looking for bonus point but am actually confused...If the card that you received with the bill was Thomas', why would YOUR account be showing $35? Wouldn't it have been $25 (what you expected the 3 beers to be)? My assumption is that if Thomas got your card, he also got your bill, and vice versa.
Bingo.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pewpew
Isn't that only for (Canadian) visa infinite cards?
unsure what cards include the service but in US I think all Signature and Infinite cards. The service implied that they bill the card issuer. They really encouraged me to use alernate cards and standsrd shipping, but my Chase Sapphire was the only one with primary rental car coverage.

My second guess to @canadiancow's riddle would have been that the $25 was an expedite fee from Chase Sapphire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.