The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 31, 18, 9:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tcook052
Wiki Link
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Old May 31, 19, 5:31 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Today I saw ... a teen putting their feet (in sneakers) up on seat in front of him on a commuter Go train.

About 5 mins later his Mom notices The world is right again.
Old May 31, 19, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
I have a pack of unopened but expired contact lenses (by a couple years)... they are still airtight sealed and unopened in their individual saline pockets.

If I open them and clean them by soaking them in contact lens disinfecting solution overnight, do you think/know if it will be OK to wear them the next day? (read: I'm not going to get an eye infection or go blind)
Iíve used dailies a little past their date but not that much. And unless I was seriously strapped for cash (in which case, glasses) would not risk it.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conta...cls-expire.htm fwiw.
Old May 31, 19, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post

Iíve used dailies a little past their date but not that much. And unless I was seriously strapped for cash (in which case, glasses) would not risk it.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conta...cls-expire.htm fwiw.
Right. I saw a bunch of website links including the one you provided, but was a bit skeptical in that I don't know how much influence there is (if any) on the lens manufacturers and who pushes their products.
To be clear, this is not one or two lenses... this is an entire pack of like 40 that I somehow forgot about, stored away until I found them recently. Just feels like a waste but I guess you guys are right... probably safer than sorrier if I just chuck them and get new ones.
Old May 31, 19, 10:44 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I had a similar thing happen a while back when I was buying from my optometrists office. The box wasn't opened and they just gave me another one.

I now buy online and would not expect them to provide this level of service.
Old May 31, 19, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
I had a similar thing happen a while back when I was buying from my optometrists office. The box wasn't opened and they just gave me another one.

Just like that? You walked in with your unused/unopened box of expired lenses and they gave you a new one for free?

I think if I did that after several years they'd just laugh at me (if I were to have done this "a while back").
Old May 31, 19, 10:58 am

Just like that.

Maybe it's 'cause I'm a long term customer, but maybe it's just how that practice rolls.
Old May 31, 19, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just like that.

Maybe it's 'cause I'm a long term customer, but maybe it's just how that practice rolls.
Right.

Oh well... I'll chuck mine soon. Just seems like such a waste.
Old May 31, 19, 11:02 am

Or trade them on Bunz for something more 'interesting'.

Last edited by Bohemian1; May 31, 19 at 11:03 am Reason: More innuendo
Old May 31, 19, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or trade them on Bunz for something more interesting.

Damn, son. Brilliant idea.
jc94 likes this.
Old May 31, 19, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
New Balance billboard in Oakland, California. Next level trolling.
Old May 31, 19, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
New Balance billboard in Oakland, California. Next level trolling.
FTFY
Old Jun 1, 19, 12:01 pm

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry

Do you get substantial-enough savings from buying online? My contact lenses must also correct my astigmatism and it seems every brand my optometrist has ever prescribed are available from his shop at the same price as I can find online.
Old Jun 1, 19, 2:25 pm

I have high astigmatisms as well and my contacts are never in stock anywhere. Having said that, buying them online means I don't have to go to race to their office before they close and I save about 10%.
ffsim likes this.
Old Jun 1, 19, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
FTFY
Eh? What changed?

Heard 47/50 states are cheering us on
Old Jun 1, 19, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
Eh? What changed?
The obnoxious size of the first image

Search this Thread