Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Old May 28, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
So, if the NBA finals go to Game 7 I am on a riverboat in the Amazon. The internet tells me not to expect cell service in the Amazon.

I had no faith in any Toronto teams when I booked this trip. And yes, I may have reconsidered the timing if I had known.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: AC SE
I am beginning to think @24left never even really existed. She was just an elaborate marketing ploy created by Nestlé to get AC pax to eat more Kit Kats instead of Lindt bars. Yes, it all makes sense now.
Jebby_ca, maradori, D582 and 5 others like this.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
At the airport for a flight on an E190. I have a 46" tall conference poster with me; I sure hope it fits in the bins lol
​​​

Last edited by pewpew; May 29, 2019 at 10:20 am
Old May 29, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Just cancelled my remaining services with Bell (TV and internet) in under 20 minutes. I feel like I accomplished something remarkable.
smallmj likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by ffsim
Just cancelled my remaining services with Bell (TV and internet) in under 20 minutes. I feel like I accomplished something remarkable.
Congratulations. I'm about to cancel our Bell internet and will take great satisfaction in it. We live in a rural area and have been paying the same rates as the rest of Canada for top internet speeds of 0.8 Mbps (yes, less than 1) since there was no other choice. We recently got explornet service of 15Mbps and can actually stream stuff, so the Bell tv might be getting the boot soon as well.
eigenvector likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:46 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I have determined that interactions with the call centres of Canadian chartered banks are even more soul-sucking than dealing with airlines, local government or telecommunications providers.

One overly chatty IVR, three separate 'not my department' CSRs and over 35 minutes later to discover that they took 10 months to post a single internal transaction to my credit card. "Internal" as in from one of my accounts with them to another, also with them.

I had to check the date on my computer to make sure it was still 2019 and I had not been magically transported in some Star Trek-like time vortex back to 1919.

But they still value my business apparently.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I have determined that interactions with the call centres of Canadian chartered banks are even more soul-sucking than dealing with airlines, local government or telecommunications providers.

One overly chatty IVR, three separate 'not my department' CSRs and over 35 minutes later to discover that they took 10 months to post a single internal transaction to my credit card. "Internal" as in from one of my accounts with them to another, also with them.

I had to check the date on my computer to make sure it was still 2019 and I had not been magically transported in some Star Trek-like time vortex back to 1919.

But they still value my business apparently.
I've had some banking clients (large multinationals) and as you may already be aware, it's even worse inside corporate.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Low Roller
We recently got explornet service of 15Mbps and can actually stream stuff, so the Bell tv might be getting the boot soon as well.
I hope that it is one of their LTE plans with unlimited data. Their satellite plans have pretty low data caps.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by smallmj
I hope that it is one of their LTE plans with unlimited data. Their satellite plans have pretty low data caps.
Yes, it's an LTE plan. The satellite data caps wouldn't work for us. That's why we had to stick with Bell for so long. Their LTE only recently became available in this area.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@24left is free to roam
elsewhere or in her home
not hidden or stuffed anywhere
nomad's suitcase is always bare
it would be nice to see the Dubs
flying back and forth between clubs
but an NBA city we will not sojourn
nor an MLB city do we yearn
can you guess the place
that our presence will grace?
Old May 29, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by ffsim
And here I am in the midst of ordering new satellite TV service with Bell It's painful, I admit, but I need something to keep me entertained while working in the North. I'm looking forward to Musk's Starlink coming online in the next few years.. so I can finally get rid of my $175 for 100GB internet plan.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Yup. They may be the Toronto Raptors but they're Canada's NBA team.
We were skeptical about them beating #1 regular season team this year... and we were (gladly) wrong.

But I'm more skeptical in beating GS. But hopeful. Raps did beat them in both meetings during the regular season though; first time since the 2013/14 season that Raps beat them. So I say GS in 6, unfortunately. They've been here the last four years (winning 3 so far) in a row and know what it takes... and once Durant goes off the DL...
Old May 30, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
We were skeptical about them beating #1 regular season team this year... and we were (gladly) wrong.

But I'm more skeptical in beating GS. But hopeful. Raps did beat them in both meetings during the regular season though; first time since the 2013/14 season that Raps beat them. So I say GS in 6, unfortunately. They've been here the last four years (winning 3 so far) in a row and know what it takes... and once Durant goes off the DL...
I am a little more optimistic than you if nothing else Raps defence has been very good. Hopefully Durant stays on the DL
Old May 30, 2019, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by vernonc
I am a little more optimistic than you if nothing else Raps defence has been very good. Hopefully Durant stays on the DL
I doubted the Rap in the conference finals so will stop underrating them as they have a real chance to win the title but it won't be easy getting past GState with or without KD. Should be a good series and will be tuning in for the second half of tonight's tilt.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
Originally Posted by tcook052
I doubted the Rap in the conference finals so will stop underrating them as they have a real chance to win the title but it won't be easy getting past GState with or without KD. Should be a good series and will be tuning in for the second half of tonight's tilt.
I'm taking the negative side so I won't feel as rotten when the lose.

On another note, anyone seen @24left lately in these parts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.