Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
A good friend of mine celebrated his wife's birthday with her yesterday.

He left here a minute ago after having a short conversation with my wife trying to figure out why he's (very firmly!) in the doghouse. My wife and I suspect it's the gift he chose to deliver: a gym membership, a treadmill, and a pile of clothes purchased deliberately 1 size too small.

With that level of stupidity coming from the likes of us I'm amazed we Y chromosomes can get dressed in the morning.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
A good friend of mine celebrated his wife's birthday with her yesterday.

He left here a minute ago after having a short conversation with my wife trying to figure out why he's (very firmly!) in the doghouse. My wife and I suspect it's the gift he chose to deliver: a gym membership, a treadmill, and a pile of clothes purchased deliberately 1 size too small.

With that level of stupidity coming from the likes of us I'm amazed we Y chromosomes can get dressed in the morning.
Okay FT needs a /facepalm emoji.

Theres only one situation where that’s an acceptance gift, and it’s if it’s asked for! Which I’m assuming it was not.

Expensive gift though.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by jc94

Okay FT needs a /facepalm emoji.

Theres only one situation where that’s an acceptance gift, and it’s if it’s asked for! Which I’m assuming it was not.

Expensive gift though.
If my wife told me she wanted any or all of the above I would tell her flat out no. That's not a gift. That's something you can budget for and get if you feel we can manage it.

A gift is a getaway in Bali. A weekend at the spa. Clearing out the kids for a weekend and inviting her girlfriends over for a...well, whatever the hell they do when there is wine and no children.
AltaBound likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by jc94
Think it was La Cabrera in EZE... best steak of my life. Think we also paid about $40 between two of us.

Mi Español es mal.
I have been to La Cabrera! Awesome place. I loved the chimichurri flight they would bring with steak with about 12 different options. And don't get me started on the Malbec.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:16 am

If my wife told me she wanted any or all of the above I would tell her flat out no. That's not a gift. That's something you can budget for and get if you feel we can manage it.

A gift is a getaway in Bali. A weekend at the spa. Clearing out the kids for a weekend and inviting her girlfriends over for a...well, whatever the hell they do when there is wine and no children.
Well I think it depends on budget. I know people who would agree but I also know people who are less well off. I remember a comedic sketch about some guy who got his wife a cement mixer as a gift. Thing is I know that has happened in real life, on request ..

Originally Posted by jasdou
I have been to La Cabrera! Awesome place. I loved the chimichurri flight they would bring with steak with about 12 different options. And don't get me started on the Malbec.
Only issue was getting a reservation (tour company helped here) and the rather insane taxi drive back avoiding all the people setting fires in the street. But I’d go back
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I just learned how to play Dance of the Little Swans (the famous pas de quatre) from Swan Lake (the E. Langer reduction, not the E. Wild reduction)
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:16 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I just learned how to play Dance of the Little Swans (the famous pas de quatre) from Swan Lake (the E. Langer reduction, not the E. Wild reduction)
It's always nice when a little culture gets injected into this forum. And not the kind on the in-flight salad either.
flyquiet and smallmj like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
It's always nice when a little culture gets injected into this forum. And not the kind on the in-flight salad either.
I could talk piano and classical music all day with whomever cares to listen. But I'm no jlisi84 (not even close).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
I could talk dance music all day with whomever cares to listen 😂😂

For the record I’d also be happy to hear about classical at length. The two are more closely related than people may realize!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyckerr
I could talk dance music all day with whomever cares to listen 😂😂

For the record I’d also be happy to hear about classical at length. The two are more closely related than people may realize!
Especially when pop/rock/contemporary songs lift (always respectfully) from classical.

Immediate examples that come to mind:

Janet Jackson's "Someone To Call My Lover"
Louise Tucker's "Midnight Blue"
Billy Joel's "This Night"
Eric Harmon's "All By Myself"
Warren G's/Sissel's "Prince Igor"

And of course, there's an airline theme song that features the main theme and second theme of a well known piece.
yyckerr likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:25 pm

Is there an unwritten rule somewhere that people who work in ICBC licensing offices have to be total bags?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:26 pm

Is there an unwritten rule somewhere that people who work in ICBC licensing offices have to be total bags?
it's been 50/50 for me. Seems to depend on the office.

Royal Centre was good, Metrotown was bad.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
it's been 50/50 for me. Seems to depend on the office.

Royal Centre was good, Metrotown was bad.
For posterity, Langley is horrendous.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:40 pm

My quote of the day, from a recent interview with Ricky Gervais:

If you ignore it on Twitter, it didn’t happen. It’s like going into a toilet stall and arguing with graffiti. If you don’t go there, it doesn’t exist.
For some reason this pretty much encapsulates my feelings about Twitter.
canadiancow and AltaBound like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:45 pm

According I have the right acronym I’d rather deal with them than the charming ON providers who are friendly and polite as they take $$$$ from me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.