Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Your dad didn't fly this year? Or did he just make E50K?
Just 50K lol.
I will end up hitting 35+ segments - just too bad they are not all on AC
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Just 50K lol.
Ah, that's too bad.

Do you like flying?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I'm now 90% confident my extended project in Chicago will be extended until April. My winters in warm places luck has run out, I guess. But the loop is a hella lot more interesting than the Burnside of wherever I am, which normally is what business travel is.

Gotta figure out how to account for flight pass credits, since I'm usually in B one direction already. Its a stupid expensive route, for whatever reason, and not going to get cheaper over the holidays.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Ah, that's too bad.

Do you like flying?
Sure. What's not to like?
No matter how many times I have experienced it or how much older I have gotten, every takeoff is still very much a magical experience for me.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I'm now 90% confident my extended project in Chicago will be extended until April. My winters in warm places luck has run out, I guess. But the loop is a hella lot more interesting than the Burnside of wherever I am, which normally is what business travel is.

Gotta figure out how to account for flight pass credits, since I'm usually in B one direction already. Its a stupid expensive route, for whatever reason, and not going to get cheaper over the holidays.
Weekend run to Bermuda or Barbados is gonna help you get through it
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Sure. What's not to like?
No matter how many times I have experienced it or how much older I have gotten, every takeoff is still very much a magical experience for me.
Are you still going to get into management consulting? (or are you there now?)
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Excited to announce as of March 1, 2020. I will return to being a statusless pleb again (after five years of E35K + E50K)
Starting August 2020 to May 2022, I get a grand total of 4 weeks' vacation. The rest of my time is apparently spent in the hospital. I'm not sure if/how I'll maintain status lol. Especially since January 2022 will see me doing ~15 flights for various interviews across the country (a good time to have *G + Bonvoy plat)
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:16 pm

Are you still going to get into management consulting? (or are you there now?)
Short answer: Unlikely.

Before grad I passed on a boutique and went into financial/banking on the operation/process engineering side for the last year. Apparently did a good enough job there and is now being fast tracked into tech product owner role so probably gonna stick with that for now.
pewpew likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Short answer: Unlikely.

Before grad I passed on a boutique and went into financial/banking on the operation/process engineering side for the last year. Apparently did a good enough job there and is now being fast tracked into tech product owner role so probably gonna stick with that for now.
What caused you to pass on the boutique?

So good news then! You get paid more and can fly more!
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by vernonc
Lane departure warning/correction is a mixed blessing. It's making me a better driver with less drift :-). Its also hard to dodge those potholes with your car fighting you.
The main advantage with lane departure warning/correction is it being installed on other peoples cars I swear the 401 is getting worse, and seeing how a few people I know drive automated braking is also quite helpful. Personally I just have the thing that beeps when people are overtaking me and I'm signalling.

Just 50K lol.
Maybe he'll get a buy-up offer. Or you will. Don't you just need the AQD and 35 *A segments these days? Quick EYW run with the Cow one weekend? (yes I'm aware it may be too late to sign up for the actual competition)
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Gotta remember to adjust my time this Sun. while on the road which is not something I think I've done for a while. Anyone have funny stories about failing to set clocks forward or backward while travelling?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'll be in the middle of a 4 hour sleep in my EYW run so I'll appreciate the extra hour.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by RangerNS

We should have a drink in the Signature Lounge sometime. The real one. In Chicago.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Gotta remember to adjust my time this Sun. while on the road which is not something I think I've done for a while. Anyone have funny stories about failing to set clocks forward or backward while travelling?
gah! Totally forgot about that, thank you!

No funny stories, just many years of frustration. For some reason this weekend (and the one opposite one in spring) were often ones I'd work in Dawson Creek, so trying to figure out whether Fort St John and Grande Prairie were on the same time or different times when trying to plan feasibility of driving times + flight departures was always a painful exercise. (For those that aren't aware, for some reason, the north eastern corner of BC doesn't follow the time change ... and apparently the rest of BC will stop next fall once the western US falls in line).
tcook052 and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ugh, really want the Nats to win.
tcook052 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.