Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by songsc

Freezer or vending machine?

Is AP/Altitude card an accepted type of payment?

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
That would be awesome - points for perks in the MLL.

I have no direct experience, but @24left related that Delta already supports this.

I got this idea from @24left actually

@Bohemian1 @songsc

Indeed. Points for perks. Love that!
For those of you who missed this episode, enjoy. You'll find the perks about halfway down.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31354055-post472.html

@jasdou and I had 2 excellent adventures there.
jasdou likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by canopus27
Have you considered flying them all somewhere, the day before -- and then having them hide, and sleep on the plane overnight? I hear that's a thing these days....
Given some of their personalities, I wouldn't put it past them to try something like that

This sounds interesting, I haven’t seen any large group like 200 people before. Can you provide a bit more context on this?
Youth summer camp, several groups from different sites all going home from the same airport. Should take about 4 hours to process them all.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by marchelli
Given some of their personalities, I wouldn't put it past them to try something like that

Youth summer camp, several groups from different sites all going home from the same airport. Should take about 4 hours to process them all.
I could be wrong, but I think at the end of the summer camp they should have gained enough discipline to know how to act in a large group?

All I can think of is having a group of 200 approaching security will be a huge mess for the security personnel’s, other travellers, and themselves. Perhaps you can contact the airline and the airport beforehand to let them know that there will be a large group?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

Split them up into teams. Assign a leader to each team. Small incentive for the team to go thru security first. This will ensure they listen to the instructions.
Works for my work team everytime :-)
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:34 pm

I could be wrong, but I think at the end of the summer camp they should have gained enough discipline to know how to act in a large group?

All I can think of is having a group of 200 approaching security will be a huge mess for the security personnel’s, other travellers, and themselves. Perhaps you can contact the airline and the airport beforehand to let them know that there will be a large group?
We do this every year, but this is the first year I'm in charge of it. We work with both security and the airport authority to get things done. We have it down to a highly choreographed venture. It's just funny to see everyone's reaction when we walk in.

Originally Posted by vernonc
Split them up into teams. Assign a leader to each team. Small incentive for the team to go thru security first. This will ensure they listen to the instructions.
Works for my work team everytime :-)
Surprising how sometimes adults and teenagers are similar. This is basically what we do. It works quite well.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm super glad I have access to different lines. The thought of being behind 400 people who are probably FOTSG...
pewpew and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm super glad I have access to different lines. The thought of being behind 400 people who are probably FOTSG...
Especially if it’s an outpost with only 1 line... That being said, I’ve been behind quite a few FOTSG in the priority lines.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Maybe marchelli was planning on guesting them all into the priority line
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew
Maybe marchelli was planning on guesting them all into the priority line
Can one get a Guinness World Record for most people guested into a priority line?
canadiancow and smallmj like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
wow you remember my old post from way back then ?
It was memorably distasteful.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

Can one get a Guinness World Record for most people guested into a priority line?
I think they have a policy forbidding new records that are inherently dangerous.

Too many deaths from group obscure icecream flavor eating contests or something.
smallmj and marchelli like this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I think they have a policy forbidding new records that are inherently dangerous.

Too many deaths from group obscure icecream flavor eating contests or something.
Fair point. The priority lines are already dangerous enough with all the DYKWIAs...

Update to the project, 5 hours in and 300+ through the gate. Airport authority, security and gate agents all in good spirits. Some interesting aircraft types coming through too.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Against my better judgment, I just ordered a kids karaoke machine along with a bunch of Disney karaoke CDs for my daughter's 9th birthday coming soon.

Fully suspect this will evolve into a "Pro Parenting Tip" segment...
canadiancow, jc94, smallmj and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Against my better judgment, I just ordered a kids karaoke machine along with a bunch of Disney karaoke CDs for my daughter's 9th birthday coming soon.

Fully suspect this will evolve into a "Pro Parenting Tip" segment...
Let it go
pewpew, flyquiet, smallmj and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:38 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I recommend you contact someone who "works at the airport" and borrow a pair of those hearing protector thingies they wear on the ground.

Either that or earbuds playing death metal turned up to eleventy-stupid.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.