Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can I buy access ML Lounge Vancouver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond

I am flying business class with my wife lax-yvr-lax but my 11 year old son is flying economy(he hasn't worked as hard or saved his money). Can we buy him a pass? Or even better get him in for free? I know they let us choose seats ahead of time for free with an 11 year old. Thx
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before worrying about lounge access, are you sure you're allowed to sit in business class while the 11 year old child sits alone in coach? Some airlines don't permit this while others insist that UM fees be paid.
24left likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I will open myself up for correction, but I believe *gold gets access to MLL with family members when traveling on *Alliance airlines.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Before worrying about lounge access, are you sure you're allowed to sit in business class while the 11 year old child sits alone in coach? Some airlines don't permit this while others insist that UM fees be paid.

Air Canada - Travelling with Children

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-children.html

Originally Posted by tobikosan
I am flying business class with my wife lax-yvr-lax but my 11 year old son is flying economy(he hasn't worked as hard or saved his money). Can we buy him a pass? Or even better get him in for free? I know they let us choose seats ahead of time for free with an 11 year old. Thx

And info from AC on lounge access etc

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...f-lounges.html

​​​​​​​
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No idea. Wouldn't matter to me at all. I'd sit in the cheap seats. Thanks for responding though.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
What kind of hard work are you expecting your 11 year old do to earn a business class ticket?
JordanYVR, zeer0 and Twickenham like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am flying business class with my wife lax-yvr-lax but my 11 year old son is flying economy(he hasn't worked as hard or saved his money).
Feel bad for your kid. That is sad behavior from someone who claims to be a hard working adult. You don't strand an 11 year old in the back while sitting up front.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:15 am

Regarding access, do you happen to have Star Alliance Gold status? If so, your child can come into lounge as guest for free. If not, you’ll need to pay to bring in as an extra guest.

No idea. Wouldn't matter to me at all. I'd sit in the cheap seats. Thanks for responding though.
If you (or your wife) are planning to sit in the “cheap seat” in economy (which I highly recommend) , that will make the rest of this post irrelevant. Further to 24left’s post:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ied-minor.html

I have no idea if a child is considered to be alone if they have a parent in another cabin. You could end up with an issue at the gate if this isn’t cleared up in advance as UM service is mandatory for an 11 year old travelling alone.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I honestly can't believe this is something we're discussing.

If the question was whether your wife and child who are sitting in J could guest you who are sitting in Y into the lounge I could understand.

I try so hard not to cast judgment on others but when it comes to the treatment of women and children I struggle to stay silent.

The job of a husband and father is difficult and challenging to be sure. The act of putting the needs and desires of your family before your own is not though, and I'd bet my left you-know-what that your kid's desire is not to be treated as a lesser citizen within the context of your family.
zeer0 and Twickenham like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I honestly can't believe this is something we're discussing.

If the question was whether your wife and child who are sitting in J could guest you who are sitting in Y into the lounge I could understand.

I try so hard not to cast judgment on others but when it comes to the treatment of women and children I struggle to stay silent.

The job of a husband and father is difficult and challenging to be sure. The act of putting the needs and desires of your family before your own is not though, and I'd bet my left you-know-what that your kid's desire is not to be treated as a lesser citizen within the context of your family.
Really? A lesser citizen?
When I was 6 years old, I walked to my school bus stop which was maybe 200 metres down the road - alone (mid-1980s). Today, if I send my 6-year old daughter to the bus stop alone, I would have child services knocking at my door because some other zealot parent believes my kid should not be walking alone. People are too over protective today, to the detriment of our kids.

At 11 years old, I would have had no problem being on my own in economy while my parents were up front. In fact, I would have had no problem travelling alone. It would have been a great learning experience for me - work hard at school and my career, and you can be up front too. I had many of those learning experiences as a child. I am where I am today thanks to hard work and dedication - not being babied and over-protected by my parents.

His kid will be a few rows behind him - fed, safe, and secure. Let’s get over it.

In regards to the OP’s question re guests in the lounge - I have never had an issue bringing my spouse and kids with me into the lounge (when I was E50 and E75K). Hope you have a great trip.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I will open myself up for correction, but I believe *gold gets access to MLL with family members when traveling on *Alliance airlines.
Originally Posted by 24left
Air Canada - Travelling with Children

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-children.html

And info from AC on lounge access etc

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...f-lounges.html

​​​​​​​
@tobikosan

Your question should be answered with the above posts I quoted.

Another avenue you might want to pursue is the MLL guesting master thread (it arguably has a poor thread title as it doesn't actually allude to guesting):
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...m-mll-now.html

If you decide to utilize this master thread, you can post your request to have your child guested. Make sure your child is with you when the actual action of guesting occurs as they are not age of majority and require someone of age to accompany them (paraphrased, but you get the gist).
tobikosan likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
To answer the OP's question directly, having business class tickets alone (without status) means guests have to pay to enter the lounge. It is not clear from your post and profile whether you have status, so you should refer to 24Left's post with the Air Canada links.
As for being able to choose seats for your child already, note that if the gate agent is aware he is not seated with you, they may make an issue of it. When my nephew (with unaccompanied minor service paid for) flew on his own, even though I had chosen a seat for him, they made a big deal about protecting the middle seat empty, so that no-one was seated directly next to him, and I was also told that the other passenger in the row was an off-duty AC employee.
I hope you do swap seats with your son though. Isn't it better to let him experience business class and give him something to strive for in future? I will give you the benefit of the doubt and that you were being facetious about him not working hard enough / saved enough. Overall, I think it's important to expose kids to life experiences to provide examples of success (if one can consider flying in business to be "success".)
zeer0, tobikosan and 24left like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by AC7E7

When I was 6 years old, I walked to my school bus stop which was maybe 200 metres down the road - alone (mid-1980s). Today, if I send my 6-year old daughter to the bus stop alone, I would have child services knocking at my door because some other zealot parent believes my kid should not be walking alone. People are too over protective today, to the detriment of our kids.

At 11 years old, I would have had no problem being on my own in economy while my parents were up front. In fact, I would have had no problem travelling alone. It would have been a great learning experience for me - work hard at school and my career, and you can be up front too. I had many of those learning experiences as a child. I am where I am today thanks to hard work and dedication - not being babied and over-protected by my parents.

His kid will be a few rows behind him - fed, safe, and secure. Let’s get over it.

In regards to the OP’s question re guests in the lounge - I have never had an issue bringing my spouse and kids with me into the lounge (when I was E50 and E75K). Hope you have a great trip.
I am not worried about the kid's safety; mine fly as UMs on occasion and they are exposed to lots of experiences to help them be responsible and prepare for adulthood. It has nothing to do with being over protective at all. I wholly disagree with helicopter parenting.

I disagree with the message I believe is being sent to the kid: "I have more value than you and my comfort is more important."

I could be wrong. I'm probably wrong in fact.

I'm very confident OP loves his kid and wants the best for him. I disagree with the decision making but it's really none of my business, and as usual I should have kept my yap shut.
zeer0 and Twickenham like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AC7E7

Thank you all for your deep concern for my son and your easy willingness to point out what is wrong in others like myself. Truly excellent virtue signalling. My guess is that my son has flown privately more than just about anyone on this site. If anything I need to search out opportunities for him to experience the learning opportunities mentioned above. I do not wish him to grow up to become an adult who views sitting in economy for a three hour stretch on one leg of his flight from his multi million dollar home on Kauai to his aunt's multi million dollar home in Vancouver to his family's 12 bedroom home in Whistler as a chore. Glad some of you have found out "what is wrong in this world", there is another view that it might actually be your own quick to judge mentality.

My question was only if we can buy a third guest pass. No status on one world. Should have mentioned it. Thanks for all the other non-judgmental/busybody answers.
CZAMFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteadyAT
To answer the OP's question directly, having business class tickets alone (without status) means guests have to pay to enter the lounge. It is not clear from your post and profile whether you have status, so you should refer to 24Left's post with the Air Canada links.
As for being able to choose seats for your child already, note that if the gate agent is aware he is not seated with you, they may make an issue of it. When my nephew (with unaccompanied minor service paid for) flew on his own, even though I had chosen a seat for him, they made a big deal about protecting the middle seat empty, so that no-one was seated directly next to him, and I was also told that the other passenger in the row was an off-duty AC employee.
I hope you do swap seats with your son though. Isn't it better to let him experience business class and give him something to strive for in future? I will give you the benefit of the doubt and that you were being facetious about him not working hard enough / saved enough. Overall, I think it's important to expose kids to life experiences to provide examples of success (if one can consider flying in business to be "success".)
Thanks. Of course, facetious. I'm personally republican but politically democrat. Love this forum and it's today given me a much better understanding of the term "snowflake." Thanks again for your insight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.