Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 1K. Worth Switching to AC?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Which fare basis are you talking about?

M high flex earns 100%. AFAIK, that hasn't changed even since Branded Fares were introduced.
Originally Posted by gcashin
Pretty sure OP is referring to the fact that with branded fares, you can now buy a very expensive M Tango fare, which would not get you full mileage or other benefits (thus the comment about 50% mileage on a $2600 M fare). AC's position is that they want you to consciously book Flex and pay the extra $ for the Flex fare above Tango even on higher fare buckets, but most people would expect that if they are buying a very expensive M fare, it would come with some basic benefits like 100% mileage and seat selection.
And that's why I clearly stated "M high flex" and mentioned Branded Fares, acknowledging the existence of M branded fares with different basis.
Yes, other M fare basis under other fare categories don't earn 100%, but my point was that there exists M that do indeed earn 100% and M high flex has always been that way.

Which really now with Branded Fares, generalizing everything under one fare class letter is moot, hence my distinction.

To say "M" is expensive is like saying all Nissan car models are expensive.

Added: and really, I was being too restrictive in my explanation as well... it's actually ALL M FLEX is 100% for all destinations (not just M high flex), and it has always been this way.

Last edited by yyznomad; Jan 5, 2019 at 9:21 am
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE
And that's why I clearly stated "M high flex" and mentioned Branded Fares, acknowledging the existence of M branded fares with different basis.
Yes, other M fare basis under other fare categories don't earn 100%, but my point was that there exists M that do indeed earn 100% and M high flex has always been that way.

Which really now with Branded Fares, generalizing everything under one fare class letter is moot, hence my distinction.

Yes, agreed, your post is 100% correct that M Flex earns full mileage; however all M fares used to earn 100%, so one cannot simply book an M fare anymore and expect to get full benefits, but that may be more of a discussion for the Branded fares thread.

M is the 3rd most expensive economy fare bucket out of 15 economy fare classes, so by definition, is one of the most expensive AC economy fare buckets. Everything is relative, but I have yet to see an M fare that I would consider inexpensive. Perhaps a more appropriate analogy is if Nissan had 15 models with varying price levels, their 3rd most expensive model could be considered "expensive" within Nissan models, but certainly could still be cheap compared to luxury brands.

On the M fare item for SE vs. 1K, one of the benefits for 1K's of buying a higher fare like M on UA is instant upgrades on domestic flights on UA. I've had some UA flights where I've had a more expensive M fare, and it's been upgraded at the time of booking by nature of booking an M fare (often several weeks in advance, no need to use an instrument or wait for an upgrade window).
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
There is no "M High Flex" or "M Low Flex", there is just M Flex, and M Standard, and M Basic (unless I misunderstand the structure?) and M is expensive in terms of discounted fares. As far as I know it is the most expensive discounted fare available, so yes, M is expensive, regardless of Flex, Standard or Basic.

M has traditionally been a high category fare class, the expectations around flexibility and "refund-ability" go beyond how AC has manipulated their branding of the fares. Just like if I purchase a B fare, similarly, if I purchase a M fare I expect certain things; that's all I'm trying to point out here. Going back to my original point, the ability to earn AQM's is not equivalent to PQM's, for a 1K, or even as a SE flying on UA. Some people on this forum don't get to choose their fares for business, they are chosen for them. If you are in the unfortunate situation of having to purchase the lowest available fare, your earnings potential on AC is likely 50% less than UA in the North American market.
gcashin likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Added: and really, I was being too restrictive in my explanation as well... it's actually ALL M FLEX is 100% for all destinations (not just M high flex), and it has always been this way.
Originally Posted by sram
There is no "M High Flex" or "M Low Flex", there is just M Flex, and M Standard, and M Basic
I clarified this upthread prior to your post.

But that wasn't my point. I'm still correct in stating M "high flex" earns 100%, which was simply a more restrictive statement than M Flex in general.
The fact is, all M Flex fares earn 100% (not 50%) to all destinations.
I moved the conversation over to the Branded Fares thread, where it belongs.

Branded Fares; AC changes booking classes/fare classes for Tango & Flex
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
The fact that we have multiple people - all frequent flyers - arguing with varying levels of conviction, the eligibility of AC's M fares to earn AQM/D solidifies my decision to move to a program in which it's much easier to purchase a straightforward, 'honest' product without the guesswork.

UA's website shows me the precise number of PQM I'll earn on any given ticket option, partners included.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
The fact that we have multiple people - all frequent flyers - arguing with varying levels of conviction, the eligibility of AC's M fares to earn AQM/D solidifies my decision to move to a program in which it's much easier to purchase a straightforward, 'honest' product without the guesswork.

UA's website shows me the precise number of PQM I'll earn on any given ticket option, partners included.
It took my about 30 seconds to pull up these threads about the UA reported earnings being wrong:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...itinerary.html

Booking partner Premium Economy (R) on UA.com - Issue with projected mileage earning?

I'm so glad there's no guesswork on UA.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It took my about 30 seconds to pull up these threads about the UA reported earnings being wrong:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...itinerary.html

Booking partner Premium Economy (R) on UA.com - Issue with projected mileage earning?

I'm so glad there's no guesswork on UA.
Hilarious. If you had stretched it to a minute and done some reading...

One of the threads is focused on Air Canada's earnings being incorrect after the fact (I'm shocked) and the other focuses mainly on anecdotal PQD & RDM anomalies, neither of which are things I commented upon. At any rate, I've never experienced discrepancies, and maintain that UA's website has a far superior earnings-awareness system than does AC, which isn't difficult, seeing as theirs is zero.
gcashin likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by sram
Earning 50% AQM on a $2600 M or U fare is not "logical".
+1. I absolutely hate the branded fare system. I've had to buy a couple last minute tickets over the last few months, and it blows my mind that AC can charge you say $500 for a one-way YEG-YYZ, and book you into a standard fare with 25% miles, no preferred seat for E50K, no upgrade chances, etc. Sitting in regular Y on this kind of flight with empty preferred seats is a slap in the face to FFs, especially when you consider airlines like UA let all FFs on all fares access E+.

At least with the old system, if you had to pay a premium for a last minute ticket, you got a "real" high-flex or latitude fare with the benefits of that.

As for upgrades - just remember that UA will upgrade a Silver FF on a domestic flight if there's space available, but AC will let J out empty, even if there is an SE MM on a full fare Y ticket in Y. Just the other day, I was on a flight that got switched from a 320 to a 789 - J had less than 10 pax, PE had zero, but the guy next to me in Y was an SE MM. I'm not saying he was entitled to an upgrade - he got what he paid for - but I think it just demonstrates how AC treats their top FFs.
eracerblue and gcashin like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by nave888
I think it just demonstrates how AC treats their top FFs.
Fairly?
expert7700 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by nave888
As for upgrades - just remember that UA will upgrade a Silver FF on a domestic flight if there's space available, but AC will let J out empty, even if there is an SE MM on a full fare Y ticket in Y. Just the other day, I was on a flight that got switched from a 320 to a 789 - J had less than 10 pax, PE had zero, but the guy next to me in Y was an SE MM. I'm not saying he was entitled to an upgrade - he got what he paid for - but I think it just demonstrates how AC treats their top FFs.
Air Canada does not want to cheapen their precious domestic front cabin with SEMM riffruff on a Y fare.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23733955-post1158.html
AC says Elites "cheapen" their business class
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Air Canada does not want to cheapen their precious domestic front cabin with SEMM riffruff on a Y fare.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23733955-post1158.html
AC says Elites "cheapen" their business class
I hope I'm not offtrack. I just thought that this post, digging up an old thread that was deliberately written to take a quote completely out of context, required some first hand experience. Last year, I flew on about 240 multi cabin segments on a Y fare. I sat in J on every one of those flights. Not once, did I receive any kind of notification that anyone anywhere believes I am cheapening the J cabin. In fact, many people at many levels of employment within Air Canada, have gone out of their way, many times over the past 12 months, to ensure that I know that they truly do appreciate my business.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
many people at many levels of employment within Air Canada, have gone out of their way, many times over the past 12 months, to ensure that I know that they truly do appreciate my business.
One would think that as one of a handful of 3MM - this is the least they would do for you.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I hope I'm not offtrack. I just thought that this post, digging up an old thread that was deliberately written to take a quote completely out of context, required some first hand experience. Last year, I flew on about 240 multi cabin segments on a Y fare. I sat in J on every one of those flights. Not once, did I receive any kind of notification that anyone anywhere believes I am cheapening the J cabin. In fact, many people at many levels of employment within Air Canada, have gone out of their way, many times over the past 12 months, to ensure that I know that they truly do appreciate my business.
I, too, appreciate all the complimentary upgrades I receive.

But I feel like you're being deliberately misleading here. It has nothing to do with your status, and everything to do with "complimentary upgrades" being part of the Latitude Flight Pass program.

You know I'm on your side, but obscuring your facts in a response about "[taking] a quote completely out of context" seems a bit odd, since you're just encouraging people to take your experiences out of context.
gcashin likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I, too, appreciate all the complimentary upgrades I receive.

But I feel like you're being deliberately misleading here. It has nothing to do with your status, and everything to do with "complimentary upgrades" being part of the Latitude Flight Pass program.

You know I'm on your side, but obscuring your facts in a response about "[taking] a quote completely out of context" seems a bit odd, since you're just encouraging people to take your experiences out of context.
Actually, the majority of them have been on eUps. In fact, I believe that every one of them cleared on eUps, and I left the majority on the eUps. My point is that an SEM on a Y BP is most likely going to get an upgrade. And, the system has no idea how many millions of miles I have flown, as you know.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
One would think that as one of a handful of 3MM - this is the least they would do for you.
There may be something to that. However, I have been getting good service since before I crossed 3MM. My point remains, though, AC does not treat an SEM, on a Y ticket like they are cheapening the J cabin. It just isn't true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.