Wiki Posts
Search

United 1K. Worth Switching to AC?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
AC does not treat an SEM, on a Y ticket like they are cheapening the J cabin. It just isn't true.
I think the posters point was that AC would not upgrade a SEMM on a Y class ticket without money/eupgrades, while the competition fills up empty seats upfront if they exist.
They dont fear cheapening the J cabin like AC does with elites.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I think the posters point was that AC would not upgrade a SEMM on a Y class ticket without money/eupgrades, while the competition fills up empty seats upfront if they exist.
They dont fear cheapening the J cabin like AC does with elites.
I'm not suret that's exactly what the poster said. For some reason, that link isn't working for me now. I can only comment on my own experience. What is your personal experience?
Your point, however, was that AC does not want to put SEMs in J with a Y fare. I am saying that they actually have a process to do, just that, and for me it works very well.
I don't really want to belabor this. I just have a different opinion.

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Jan 6, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
A lot of discussion and and the OP hasn't returned. Clearly a hot topic!

AC>UA for me, because they usually keep at least one J seat from cabin cheapening upgraders, so I can change my flight day of departure and still fly J.

Last edited by Nitehawk; Jan 7, 2019 at 8:50 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
A lot of discussion and and the OP hasn't returned. Clearly a hot topic!

AC>UA for me, because they usually keep at least on J seat from cabin cheapening upgraders, so I can change my flight day of departure and still fly J.
Are you saying AC has been filling cabins such that you can't make changes close in?

That has literally been the opposite of my experience. Of my last 3 AC flights, two departed with empty seats in J, and one had the remaining filled with non-revs at the gate.

Whereas on UA, I generally find I'm unable to SDC paid J because cabins are simply full (of upgrades).
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Are you saying AC has been filling cabins such that you can't make changes close in?

That has literally been the opposite of my experience. Of my last 3 AC flights, two departed with empty seats in J, and one had the remaining filled with non-revs at the gate.

Whereas on UA, I generally find I'm unable to SDC paid J because cabins are simply full (of upgrades).
To me, it looks like that is what Nighthawk was saying.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:05 pm

Oops, double post.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Oops, I swear I read "UA>AC". In that case, I agree
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I'm not suret that's exactly what the poster said. For some reason, that link isn't working for me now. I can only comment on my own experience. What is your personal experience?
Your point, however, was that AC does not want to put SEMs in J with a Y fare. I am saying that they actually have a process to do, just that, and for me it works very well.
I don't really want to belabor this. I just have a different opinion.
My personal experience is 6 years as 1K (and 2 as EXP - but thats done). I know in AC world, some people think its fair that J goes out empty. Some of us, however, like getting free upgrades - I havent spent nearly half my life reading this site in order to figure out ways to pay for things I can get for free.....

I like confirming my upgrades months in advance on even the lowest fare, I like earning 100% miles even on the lowest fare.
If I was a work flyer, I'd be drooling at the opportunity to earn miles based on price. I know people who rake in 20000+ miles every time they fly YYZ-YVR for work.

I know when I fly AC (with a healthy op-up rate which I appreciate) - my experience is mediocre in J, neutral in PY, and generally horrible in Y.

When I pay for premium cabins, I will not do so for any US airline (unless its a mistake) or AC. QR, BR, SQ, sure, AA/UA/AC/BA - not a chance - but I will take my free upgrades!
mellon and tshirt like this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by FlyerTalker70
Another advantage of switching to AC, is if you fly a decent amount of US domestic itineraries then your AC SE will give you access to UC. May not be a big deal considering a MLL/UC membership is around $300 and you can get lounge access with a number of premium CCs. One potentially big lounge perk for the AC SE is they can access MLLs on arrival from most AC flights in Canada along with at LHR, even if flying in Y. This might be a big deal since the MLL lounges, at least in Canada, are relatively nice and in particular the ones at YYZ have showers in all three concourses (International, Domestic and Transborder). There's nothing nicer than taking a nice steamy shower after a long haul flight in Y....Oscar are you hearing this?!

My (limited) experience with UA for service recovery has been pretty good. I'll let the AC experts chime in on how well AC handles IRROPs and reaccomodates SEs.

A reason to keep your business with UA is the last-minute upgrades and buy ups can be fairly affordable in comparison with AC (which may also explain why GPUs are hard to clear). I've compiled a spreadsheet with fellow FTers upgrade offers over the last year or so. To give you some examples of deals:
  • CDG to EWR for $689 USD
  • EWR to NRT as low as $1024 USD (on a k fare no less!)
  • EWR to SFO around $249-$300 USD
To counter that point, AC has a bid upgrade program that allows you to name your own price on how much you're willing to pay for the upgrade with you being notified around T-48. With UA it's always a roller coaster, the BUs can be very reasonable or they aren't, and you'll end up in just Executive Economy in UA. However whilst in Executive Economy as a 1K you'll get a free meal compliments of Oscar. Las I checked you have still have to pay AC for food on board.

AC's upgrade system for elites upgrade credits to sponsor an upgrade to the next cabin. SEs get 70 eUp credits per year, which similar to UA certificates expire after some time of non-use. In some ways that makes it better than a certificate which you may not use since you can use those credits fluidly for your travel needs. OTOH, the number of credits required for an upgrade depends on a number of factors including fare basis, routing and length of route. It's possible to fork over a lot of credits for a long haul flight to SYD when you're flying on a low-end Flex fare. With UA at least you know you have so many GPUs which equates to so many global trips that can be upgraded. United also lets you use your upgrade certificates on LH and NH flights. Last I checked, eUpgrade credits can only be applied to AC flights!

UA also allows you to use your miles to upgrade virtually any UA flight, regardless of fare class (albeit there may be some co-pay attached).Co-pays are exempt from non-long haul domestic/PS routes as well meaning its just pure miles. Otherwise you'll need to fork over tens to hundreds of dollars in co-pay depending on fare class. Last I checked, AC doesn't offer a similar upgrade mechanism.

One important question you have to ask yourself is also which J product do you prefer: AC or UA? I think AC has the upper hand with all aisle access J product (something UA is slowly pushing into place across the fleet). OTOH, having flown BF (now Polaris J) I found the seating and onboard service to be nice. UA has the upper hand in J lounges: their Polaris lounge can be found throughout the network. AC just has one Signature Suite lounge at YYZ which you can only access if you paid cash for your J fare.

If you travel enough internationally and value in-flight wifi, then AC may not be for you. Not many of their long haul routes have the service yet. UA on the other hand has service fleet wide (sparing the occasional hardware/service issue) and even allows you to buy North America or international wifi subscriptions. AC does allow SEs to get unlimited free wifi as part of their annual gift bag.

So overall, there's no clear cut answer. It really depends on what you're after. One other (non-conventional) thing to consider are also other airlines programs, in particular DL and AA. Flying out of the places you're flying out of (EWR,YYZ and IAD) I suspect the upgrade competition isn't as great as UA/AC.

Safe Travels,

James
Sorry for bumping up this old thread, but is this still the case? Is this benefit only for AC SE100K?
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by rankourabu
So basically like when you have to buy Flex to use eupgrades?
At least when I buy my W fare, I buy it for flights that I can upgrade immediately, without having to play the lottery like AC eupgrades.
I 've already used up my 2019 RPUs, all cleared at booking.

Also, low fares (K) can be upgraded, you just have to know how
How? I'm asking as a total newbie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.