Delayed bag for paid J SE+E75K

Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

We checked our bags within 30 seconds of each other for YYZ-TLV. Paid J. I'm SE, he's E75K until the next sweep.

By the time we got through passport control, a bunch of priority and non-priority bags were circling. I found mine quickly, but after a lap, his was not there.

I called central concierge to ask if it was loaded. I have too much lost bag experience it seems.

Concierge, after getting annoyed with system delays, said it hadn't been loaded, and to file a claim with lost baggage in TLV. I said I wanted to speak to the local concierge.

Lost baggage was annoyed. Why would I call AC when the carousel was still turning? He had no notes in his system.

He came out and started looking at every big black bag. A concierge approached him, so I did too.
​​​
Local concierge agreed the bag had not been loaded.

My checked bag was dirty clothes, winter coat, and shoes. Companion's bag was everything other than laptop, iPad, and headphones.

I asked what could be provided right now. Concierge said nothing, and we should save receipts and write in. We eventually got an amenity kit out of him (as my companion didn't bother to take his from the plane). After two calls to a supervisor, we could not get any authorization to buy clothes.

He said he'd email to escalate.

I called central back, and they said priority tracing would open at 7am eastern, and they could authorize an amount. I mentioned the ticket cost and our statuses, along with a statement about clean underwear and socks. She said she'd call me back.

The return call was to tell me we were authorized for 150 USD, though she'd inform me if that number increased (presumably when more important people got to work).

I am, quite frankly, pissed off that TLV can't authorize anything for a delayed/lost bag for a paid J E75K.

And I can't imagine how this would have gone if there hadn't been an SE on the PNR, able to call the concierge.

p.s. I paid for the ticket, and he checked the bag under his name, so CC insurance does not apply. Not that 100/day is better than what the concierge authorized.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Not that it makes much difference to the final outcome, but in 2018 you shouldn't have to stand at the carousel and wait when yours wasn't even loaded. Several major international carriers have near real-time tracking.

Hopefully the bag shows up on the next flight and there's no need for much more than socks/underwear/etc.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: AC MM, SE100K
Last time my bag wasn't loaded (it missed a tight connection), the concierge was waiting at the top of the ramp upon arrival to tell me that and to help make arrangements. (No amenities or clothing allowance was offered, but since I was returning home, I didn't need any.)
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Not that it makes much difference to the final outcome, but in 2018 you shouldn't have to stand at the carousel and wait when yours wasn't even loaded. Several major international carriers have near real-time tracking.

Hopefully the bag shows up on the next flight and there's no need for much more than socks/underwear/etc.
Except with Air Canada. Sad to say, earlier this year on a TPAC, 10 of us were waiting at the carousel for 30 minutes until someone came out and posted a sign with our names to contact baggage department.. No concierge service for me, despite Gold status with AC and paid J; and certainly no assistance form the airline with any offer of a daily stipend. AC has two ongoing operational deficiencies : Baggage and IROPs response. IMO It's incompetent IT department cannot support a solution.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:23 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
AC has two ongoing operational deficiencies : Baggage and IROPs response. IMO It's incompetent IT department cannot support a solution.
Cut them some slack, real time baggage tracking as a commercial offering has only been around for 5 or 6 years or so: Amadeus and SITA Announcement
KenHamer likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:26 am

A friend of mine was flying El Al to TLV. No status, she actually got a note, inflight, telling her that her bag had not been loaded and it would be sent on next flight. Now people knock ELAL, but that is the way it should be done!
Twickenham, Bohemian1 and 24left like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AC SE100, Bonvoy Platinum Elite
You are covered for up to 2100 approximately CDN$ for the lost bag. This is for delayed and lost baggage per pax total - you can spend as much as you deem reasonable until your bag arrives. At day 21 the bag becomes "lost" and you can claim the remainder of the $2100 you didn't use up.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Cut them some slack, real time baggage tracking as a commercial offering has only been around for 5 or 6 years or so: Amadeus and SITA Announcement
Perhaps that is what AC has been waiting for. Instead of investing in it now, will it come when they switch over to Amadeus next year?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:00 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Perhaps that is what AC has been waiting for. Instead of investing in it now, will it come when they switch over to Amadeus next year?
That would nice, but I don't know enough about the inner workings of AC's baggage handling system. I'm sure others can speculate.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

The ability to track it wouldn't have changed much.

I'm more miffed that:

1. Two bags checked almost simultaneously, one didn't make it for a non-stop
2. TLV concierge and manager couldn't authorize any spend. Central concierge in middle of the night had to call me back to authorize anything. I'm not a no-status Tango pax. Sure, they all said "just keep receipts", but I don't want to end up not getting reimbursed.

If the tracing site doesn't mention anything by the time 84 takes off, I'll send an email, but from what I hear, stores aren't open on Saturday.

Montreal Convention (thanks for that reminder, @gurka) gives about $1500 USD, which may be required if the bag isn't here by Sunday morning.
DrunkCargo likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Just got an email from the concierge:

​With Mr. Bovine's bag, I was able to check our entire International baggage area but unfortunately again I came up empty handed. This is quite strange to me because if the bag was indeed left in Toronto, it would have no reason to be anywhere other than the International baggage area.

That being said, I spoke to a manager who assisted me and he believes the bag may have been sent to TLV last night but they missed scanning it into our system, which is why we are showing a dead end.

I want you to know that I reached out to our Priority Tracing team to get their assistance with locating Mr. Bovine's bag as well as our TLV concierge to have them check all areas on their end.

Mr. Kennedy I cannot apologize enough for Mr. Bovine's bag being delayed. Please know that we are working on it and are hoping to get some more information form Priority Tracing and TLV concierge once they are open.

Thank you so much for your patience Mr. Kennedy and for your continuous loyalty to Air Canada. If you need anything at all please reach out to us here on this email or you can call our colleagues at the Concierge Desk at 905-nnn-nnnn.

With kind regards,

First Last
YYZ Concierge
​​​​​​
They're certainly trying hard, but this email isn't encouraging. It's not in Toronto. It hasn't been scanned since it was originally checked. It wasn't on the belt in TLV.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Bags being loaded without being scanned doesn't give much confidence. Imagine if you were coming right back and had asked for the bag to NOT be sent on but remain at YYZ for your imminent return.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Just got an email from the concierge:

They're certainly trying hard, but this email isn't encouraging. It's not in Toronto. It hasn't been scanned since it was originally checked. It wasn't on the belt in TLV.
YYZ-TLV, perhaps a security thing?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
YYZ-TLV, perhaps a security thing?
If so, I would think bovine would be getting a cattle prod at the moment?

(Plus, cows always look suspicious)
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
for YYZ-TLV. Paid J. I'm SE, he's E75K
for a delayed/lost bag for a paid J E75K.
if there hadn't been an SE on the PNR,
Sorry, I confused you with a no-status Tango pax.

Perhaps the staff in TLV did too. Is there a chance you neglected to mention that it was Paid J and that you are a SE and that your companion is an E75K?
ChrisA330, gcashin and YYZHRE like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.