Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is this routing bookable on one award ticket; if so how many miles it would be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Good Evening --

I'm looking for some help in understanding Aeroplan's routing rules. Can someone tell me if they think this is bookable on one ticket, and if so how many miles it would be.

EWR-HKG -- On United
MNL-HND -- On ANA
NRT-RGN -- On ANA
RGN-BKK-ZRH-JFK -- TG-Swiss-Swiss

I think I have one open jaw on this routing (from HKG to MNL) and one stopover. I also have two co-terminals (arriving in HND and leaving from NRT and leaving from EWR and returning to JFK). Are the co-terminals legal or do I need to use one airport in each city?

How many miles would this be, if legal, in business? It seems the EWR-HKG flight is 150,000 in business if it was roundtrip and the RGN-JFK would be 155,000 if booked roundtrip.

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:03 pm

Co-terminals are permitted. Looks like just an Asia 2 reward to me. If it fails, it would only fail because of MPM exceeded.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
Co-terminals are permitted. Looks like just an Asia 2 reward to me. If it fails, it would only fail because of MPM exceeded.
I don’t currently have the tools to look this up, but your point of turnaround will be one of the destinations in SE Asia. I can only assume that travelling to HKG, north to Japan, and then back to SE Asia (and back via Europe) will put you over on MPM.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by happy10345
Good Evening --

I'm looking for some help in understanding Aeroplan's routing rules. Can someone tell me if they think this is bookable on one ticket, and if so how many miles it would be.

EWR-HKG -- On United
MNL-HND -- On ANA
NRT-RGN -- On ANA

I think I have one open jaw on this routing (from HKG to MNL) and one stopover. I also have two co-terminals (arriving in HND and leaving from NRT and leaving from EWR and returning to JFK). Are the co-terminals legal or do I need to use one airport in each city?

How many miles would this be, if legal, in business? It seems the EWR-HKG flight is 150,000 in business if it was roundtrip and the RGN-JFK would be 155,000 if booked roundtrip.

Thanks for the help!
rgn is in asia 2 so 155 000 miles

your routing is not optimal and possibly over the MPM. you waste a good chunk of MPM by going back to japan.

I think that it is not easy to fit both hkg and mnl before or after your point of turn around which is rgn. I would stop at hkg on outbound and at mnl on inbound or vice versa without routing thru europe. otherwise, you might need something like this in order to stay within mpm.

ewr-hnl-gum-mnl-tpe-hkg-bkk-rgn
ua-ua-ua-br-br-tg-tg

note that i don't know if this is under the limit. also, you might not get much value in business class, since the equipment used for those flights might not be that great.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:44 am
Original Poster

So is there anyway to figure out what the allowable MQM is for NYC-RGN?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Also would I have any better chance of getting under the MQM if I did...

EWR-HKG -- United
MNL-BKK-RGN -- Thai
RGN-NRT -- ANA
HND-YYZ-LGA -- Air Canada

I'd prefer my original routing, but thought if that is above MQM this might be better since it goes over the Pacific both ways and separates HKG and TYO from RGN, which someone said might be helpful...EWR-HKG -- On United
MNL-HND -- On ANA
NRT-RGN -- On ANA
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AC 75K
Correct me if I'm wrong, but MNL is the furthest point from origin, which makes that the POT, not RGN.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:08 am
Original Poster

If I calculate the air miles JFK-RGN is 8410 and JFK to MNL is 8500 so I believe you are correct...what I'm not sure about is how this changes the MQM as this is the part that confuses me. Also my open jaw is from MNL so I'm not sure if that impacts anything.

Thanks to anyone that can help me.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AC 75K
MPM for JFK-MNL is 14113, and JFK-RGN is 13953.

For your first suggested itinerary, if MNL is the POT (which I'm pretty sure it is, but not sure how the open jaw might affect things), the return trip is 14769 miles which is over maximum mileage, however if RGN is the POT that itinerary is OK.

For your second suggested itinerary, it's good.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much...will need to play with this some more!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.