Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Salvage a ticketed aeroplan reward cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Salvage a ticketed aeroplan reward cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Salvage a ticketed aeroplan reward cancellation

Looking for the experts in this forum to see if there is still anyway at all to salvage the situation.

My mother-in-law used 300k AE to book 2 J round trip tickets one week out to Asia for herself and my father-in-law. It was a rush decision to go, and equally rush, to cancel the tickets a day after booking. As a result the reward tickets are cancelled within 22 days of travel and cannot be refunded.

Aside from another potential last minute decision within the next year (which is unlikely) is there anyway to salvage the 300k somehow? Or is there no way but to write off the loss?

We had already made a few calls to Air Canada and Aeroplan and weren’t provided any other options. We cannot change to another person or receive the points back.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Change the outbound flights to a time that is > 22 days in the future, then later cancel the flights for a full refund of points.

You will need to pay a change fee, then later pay a cancellation fee to get the points back.

Let us know how it goes.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply and sorry I didn’t include this information - I actually asked AE about this already (the original return date is more than 22 days out) but AE agent declined as the trip was booked as round trip ticket and cannot be partially refunded.

I just realized that I misread the proposed solution above - let me try that and will report back. Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by zephyr7
Thanks for the reply and sorry I didn’t include this information - I actually asked AE about this already (the original return date is more than 22 days out) but AE agent declined as the trip was booked as round trip ticket and cannot be partially refunded.
you misunderstand. Change the whole ticket so that you book an outbound and a return that is more than 22 days (say 6 months away for this example). Then call back to cancel the trip and you can get your points back. You might even be able to do the cancellation online.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, realized my error after I click submit.

Looks like I cannot do so online, so I'll have to call in since it's already cancelled.

Originally booking date: Sep 13
Outbound: Sep 25
Inbound: Dec 4
Cancellation date: Sep 14

So what I would be trying is:
  1. Search for another pair of dates with J seats with the outbound leg > 22 days out, e.g. sometime in 2019
  2. Call AE to book the new tickets.
  3. Wait a few days and call in again to cancel for miles refund
Did I understand correctly?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by zephyr7
Thanks, realized my error after I click submit.

Looks like I cannot do so online, so I'll have to call in since it's already cancelled.

Originally booking date: Sep 13
Outbound: Sep 25
Inbound: Dec 4
Cancellation date: Sep 14

So what I would be trying is:
  1. Search for another pair of dates with J seats with the outbound leg > 22 days out, e.g. sometime in 2019
  2. Call AE to book the new tickets.
  3. Wait a few days and call in again to cancel for miles refund
Did I understand correctly?
You've got it, but you don’t need to book all segments in J. You should be able to do this even if all segments are in Y, but I’d try to get at least 1 segment in J.

Hindsight being 20/20 your cheapest cancellation option would have been to move your departure date to something over 22 days out and then cancelled it all. In order to rebook you’ll need to pay the change fee for each direction, then the cancellation fee. Moving your departure date only would have saved you one of the change fees. If not Distinction Diamond you’ll need to evaluate whether you think it’s worth recovering points (although for J it likely is).
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
if the same passengers want to travel on a J round trip anywhere internationally, anytime within a year of original travel date, there is no need to change/cancel/redeposit points...

destination can be changed (with no refund if new trip would have cost any less miles) as long as first segment has not been flown.

although you will pay a change fee per person per direction, potentially this can also save you the award redeposit fee plus save you from paying a phone booking fee if your new trip would have been too complicated to book online.
prmetime likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
if the same passengers want to travel on a J round trip anywhere internationally, anytime within a year of original travel date, there is no need to change/cancel/redeposit points...

destination can be changed (with no refund if new trip would have cost any less miles) as long as first segment has not been flown.

although you will pay a change fee per person per direction, potentially this can also save you the award redeposit fee plus save you from paying a phone booking fee if your new trip would have been too complicated to book online.
This is excellent advice. OP don’t rush to redeposit points. Wait 9 months and then if points can’t be used, change/cancel. Even if only one of original pax can travel later you can save on one of the cancellation fees for the other pax. The fact that you’ll avoid a call-in booking fee for a “change” is helpful too.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG USER

This is excellent advice. OP don’t rush to redeposit points. Wait 9 months and then if points can’t be used, change/cancel. Even if only one of original pax can travel later you can save on one of the cancellation fees for the other pax. The fact that you’ll avoid a call-in booking fee for a “change” is helpful too.
That's good for another trip in the 150 k miles area. Otherwise, a waste of the difference.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:27 am

Do all of the above suggestions work -- even though the OP reward tickets have already been cancelled?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
yes. That's the whole thread is about. The reservation has been cancelled.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:54 am

I truly must be missing something here. This thread seems to indicate that after I have cancelled an Aeroplan ticket I can still call up and make changes to it. I would think once I cancelled it the flights are gone. The OP wanted advice about salvaging the already cancelled tickets - (cancelled on Sept 14) Wow! I am amazed that AE allows that but the responses seem to indicate it's possible. Good to know.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:43 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by ciana
I truly must be missing something here. This thread seems to indicate that after I have cancelled an Aeroplan ticket I can still call up and make changes to it. I would think once I cancelled it the flights are gone. The OP wanted advice about salvaging the already cancelled tickets - (cancelled on Sept 14) Wow! I am amazed that AE allows that but the responses seem to indicate it's possible. Good to know.
It's sounds like you may be confusing a reservation with a ticket.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Refund/redeposit fee can be cheaper than the change fee, because Aeroplan now charges $100 per direction (so $200 for roundtrip) per ticket, while refund/redeposit is $150 for the whole ticket.

Aeroplan's gonna have to change their policy and offer free cancellation within 24 hours of booking like all other North American airline-associated frequent flyer and loyalty programs, especially now that they will be "partly" owned by Air Canada and with the passage of the Air Passenger bill of rights bill and that the US Department Of Transportation imposes the 24-hour within booking waiver on airlines.

Also, Aeroplan should offer a discount on refunds/redeposits initiated online, it saves them call center agent costs!

Last edited by MasterGeek; Oct 12, 2018 at 1:58 pm
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by ciana
You cancel you *reservation* before flight departure. Your reward is still available for future travel, with departure date up to 1 year from date of original redemption. Please read the terms and conditions on their website.

19. Flight reward tickets are valid for one year from the date of issue, unless otherwise specified.

41. Unused flight reward tickets can be cancelled up to a minimum of two hours prior to scheduled departure and will remain valid for one year from the date of issue. If any refund is to be performed at the time the flight reward is re-booked (within one year from the date of issue), the refund shall be made in accordance with the original form of payment made at the time of original booking. At time of re-booking, a C$90.00 fee plus taxes per ticket will applied. This fee is non-refundable.<b>Effective December 6, 2016, a C$100.00 fee plus taxes per direction, per ticket will apply</b>. This fee is non-refundable.

42. Within two hours of scheduled departure, changes/cancellations of a flight reward are not permitted. The flight reward mileage is forfeit and the ticket is no longer valid for travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.