FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Altitude benefit - eUpgrade Credits for eligible Flight Pass activities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1947628-altitude-benefit-eupgrade-credits-eligible-flight-pass-activities.html)

Jack in the Box Dec 26, 2018 5:23 pm

Altitude benefit - eUpgrade Credits for eligible Flight Pass activities

Good day,

I'm considering purchasing a flight pass, specifically "Europe and Morocco Pass - Western Canada" for 8 flight credits, good for two or more people.

For 2019 I qualified for Altitude 50K and was looking at the benefits and I'm hoping someone here can explain how many eUpgrade credits I would qualify for if I selected "eUpgrade Credits for eligible Flight Pass activities" as one of my Altitude benefits next year and then purchased that flight pass. I've read the description provided on the Altitude benefits page - "For every eligible Flight Pass activity, eUpgrade Credits will be deposited into your aircanada.com eUpgrade account. Credits can be used on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada Rouge in order to upgrade to premium cabins." - but I'm admittedly unsure what qualifies as a "Flight Pass Activity".

Is an activity the purchase of a flight pass, so I would get only 8 eUpgrade credits for buying the one flight pass? Or is it 8 eUpgrade credits for each flight credit I use in the Flight pass for a total of 64 credits ultimately? I'm looking to book two trips to Europe next year for me and my girlfriend (she does not have any status) using that pass and I'm trying to understand how many eUpgrade credits I'd collect along with the 40 i get in the 50K base to see if I could upgrade to business class for the transatlantic legs for both trips or just one.

Thanks for your help.

Diabeetus Dec 26, 2018 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jack in the Box (Post 30576554)

Is an activity the purchase of a flight pass, so I would get only 8 eUpgrade credits for buying the one flight pass?

It's this.

lewis_m Dec 26, 2018 8:03 pm

Using 10 credits on yourself is also a 'Flight Pass Activity'. You would only use 4 credit on yourself though.

Jack in the Box Dec 26, 2018 9:34 pm

Thanks for the prompt response. Initially thought it was per flight credit but common sense told me that was unrealistic since it would have provided more eUpgrade credits than I got hitting 50K this past year, so began to assume it was just 8 total for that one pass. Appreciate the clarification.

Cheers.

Diabeetus Dec 26, 2018 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jack in the Box (Post 30577121)
Thanks for the prompt response. Initially thought it was per flight credit but common sense told me that was unrealistic since it would have provided more eUpgrade credits than I got hitting 50K this past year, so began to assume it was just 8 total for that one pass. Appreciate the clarification.

Cheers.

You're welcome. Unfortunately it is not much of a benefit.

8 Eupgrade credits are useful if you fly within North America on Latitude fares. That's about it.

You can't even upgrade to business on a Latitude fare if you're going to Europe from Western Canada (11 eupgrade credits needed).

canadiancow Dec 27, 2018 10:06 am

Originally Posted by lewis_m (Post 30576925)
Using 10 credits on yourself is also a 'Flight Pass Activity'. You would only use 4 credit on yourself though.

I think that only applies to the large-credit business passes.

Bohemian1 Dec 27, 2018 10:11 am

The complete language I have for this benefit (at least for this year) follows:

For every eligible Flight Pass activity, eUpgrade Credits will be deposited into your aircanada.com eUpgrade account. Credits can be used on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada Rouge in order to upgrade to premium cabins.

This bonus applies to eligible Flight Pass activities completed between January 1 and December 31, 2019. Eligible Flight Pass activities are defined as:
  • The purchase of an eligible Flight Pass of 6, 8, 10, 16 or 20 flight credits (excluding Unlimited Flight Passes and Flight Passes for premium cabins).
  • The usage of every 10 eligible flight credits in conjunction with a Flight Pass for premium cabins.
  • The duration of the travel period when you purchase an eligible Unlimited Flight Pass, on a monthly basis.
Following an eligible activity, it may take up to three weeks for eUpgrade Credits to be deposited into your aircanada.com eUpgrade account. eUpgrade Credits are valid through February 29, 2020.

canadiancow Dec 27, 2018 10:13 am

So if I buy a 6 credit Y FP I get eUps, but if I buy a J FP, I have to buy and fly 10 credits?

That phrasing has certainly changed. I also don't believe it is correct.

I suspect someone took "business flight pass" to mean "business class" and not "100 credits owned by one company, usable by designated employees".

Bohemian1 Dec 27, 2018 10:48 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30578687)
So if I buy a 6 credit Y FP I get eUps, but if I buy a J FP, I have to buy and fly 10 credits?

I suspect someone took "business flight pass" to mean "business class" and not "100 credits owned by one company, usable by designated employees".

You may be right, but here's a data point that may support the language in my post upthread. I bought a Western Canada 6 credit J pass in November (AC had a promo) and I received no eUps for this as of yet.

BlondeBomber Dec 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Some previous benefit booklets (example in link below) for eligible flight pass activities had this caveat (don't see it anymore but maybe they are still enforcing it or maybe it is in the fine print of the promotional pass you purchased?)

"This select privilege is not valid for time limited promotional Flight Passes"

2008 benefits

TOR27 Jan 3, 2019 10:37 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30578687)

This is correct....I have benefited from eupgrades being deposited into my account for having used 10 of my work's FPs and they are Y credits.

On another note - Does anyone know at what point in the year the eupgrades deposited into the account for FP activities are given an expiry date of the end of the following benefit year? Ex. I was awarded 10 credits in Dec/2017 but they were given an expiry date of Feb.2019 even though we were still in the previous benefit year. When are they given until the end of the current benefit year and when do they go to the next?

SteadyAT Jan 3, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by TOR27 (Post 30604707)
On another note - Does anyone know at what point in the year the eupgrades deposited into the account for FP activities are given an expiry date of the end of the following benefit year?

Cut-off date is Nov 1. All e-upgrade credits earned on or after Nov 1 will expire the following benefit year, I believe. At least that's been my experience.

yeeg Jan 3, 2019 3:52 pm

For every eligible Flight Pass activity, eUpgrade Credits will be deposited into your aircanada.com eUpgrade account. Credits can be used on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada Rouge in order to upgrade to premium cabins.

This bonus applies to eligible Flight Pass activities completed between January 1 and December 31, 2019. Eligible Flight Pass activities are defined as:
  • The purchase of an eligible Flight Pass of 6, 8, 10, 16 or 20 flight credits (excluding Unlimited Flight Passes and Flight Passes for premium cabins).
  • The usage of every 10 eligible flight credits in conjunction with a Flight Pass for premium cabins.
  • The duration of the travel period when you purchase an eligible Unlimited Flight Pass, on a monthly basis.
Following an eligible activity, it may take up to three weeks for eUpgrade Credits to be deposited into your aircanada.com eUpgrade account. eUpgrade Credits are valid through February 29, 2020.
In addition the the OP's question, how does it work for the part that's highlighted in green? I am considering purchasing an unlimited flight pass between YYC and YEG and also wondered if I would receive an additional 1250 status miles each time I complete one segment as part of my bundle 2 for one of the E50 selections.

yyznomad Jan 3, 2019 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by yeeg (Post 30606123)
In addition the the OP's question, how does it work for the part that's highlighted in green? I am considering purchasing an unlimited flight pass between YYC and YEG and also wondered if I would receive an additional 1250 status miles each time I complete one segment as part of my bundle 2 for one of the E50 selections.

If you buy an X-month UFP, you will be credited PER month, approximately two to three weeks following the credit card charge date for that month.

So if you buy a 6-month UFP and you are SE having chosen the select benefit, you will get 8 credits per month for the the 6-month UFP, for a total of 48 credits when all is said and done. Same goes with the status miles. You will get 1,250 per month, IIRC. I did this one year (with status miles) the first year it started as a benefit, so someone else might want to pipe in if this has changed.

Diabeetus Jan 3, 2019 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by yeeg (Post 30606123)

With an unlimited FP, you would receive an additional 1250 status miles (AQM) for each month you have the pass. If you fly 100 segments one month, and 0 segments the next, then you would still only receive 1250 AQM per month.