Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching seats in Y - etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: A3 *G; AC
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Possibly because you're generally seated up front??

While it's not always picked up, I assure you it's an issue of discussion internally, and Customers are routinely asked to return to their originally assigned seats. Respectfully and with an explanation.
Recently on a domestic flight, I asked if I could move to the other side of the aisle where there was a 4 across row with one person at the other end. The flight attendant thanked me for asking and said by all means I could move. None of the seats involved was a preferred seat.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: A3 *G; AC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If they came from the back, against the FAs wishes, it would change my opinion.

But I've never seen an AC FA say "these seats cost extra. Please return to your assigned seat."
I was asked to return to my seat (not a preferred seat) while the entire row of preferred seats remained empty for the entire flight of 7 hours. I don't see a problem with that.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If they came from the back, against the FAs wishes, it would change my opinion.

But I've never seen an AC FA say "these seats cost extra. Please return to your assigned seat."
I have a couple of times.

There is a truly over-zealous YVR-based FA who frequently marches up and down the aisle of the YVR-MEX-YVR flights holding the pax list and will admonish those who have taken a Preferred seat. The best part is when he gets short with non-English speakers. Those seats are nothing special so its odd to be after pushback that it would be such a major issue. Now Y to PY does bug me and without the curtains....this self-seat upgrading occurs on every flight.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Possibly because you're generally seated up front??

While it's not always picked up, I assure you it's an issue of discussion internally, and Customers are routinely asked to return to their originally assigned seats. Respectfully and with an explanation.
Fair enough. My experience is almost entirely on Jazz, where they never seem to care.

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
I have a couple of times.

There is a truly over-zealous YVR-based FA who frequently marches up and down the aisle of the YVR-MEX-YVR flights holding the pax list and will admonish those who have taken a Preferred seat. The best part is when he gets short with non-English speakers. Those seats are nothing special so its odd to be after pushback that it would be such a major issue. Now Y to PY does bug me and without the curtains....this self-seat upgrading occurs on every flight.
It's an extra 4 inches or so, right? That's easily the difference between having no issue with the person in front reclining, and your knees preventing them from reclining.

And if they don't enforce them, there's no incentive to pay for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.