Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Any hope for YYZ-TYO non-stop 787 (any version) service in 2019?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any hope for YYZ-TYO non-stop 787 (any version) service in 2019?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by yytleisure

do you have any background or references about this poor air quality on a 777 vs 787? Genuinely curious, as I get the humidity/pressure increase on the Dreamliner, but I haven’t heard much about air quality
No specific background or references re the 777s; just personal experiences, and worse more recently.

Back in 2008 we had no problem with AC's 777s, but in the past few years it's become a real problem for us, to the point where we could become paranoid at the risk of going to somewhere like TLV on the Dreamliner, only to be stuck when we find the return metal has changed.

OK, admittedly we are in our 70s and may be more vulnerable to whatever is "going around" but it just seems that the 777s a/c system recirculates the same germ-laden stale air hour after hour. Never had the same problem on the 787 or 767 - but unfortunately in the 767s case the J pods have not been upgraded, likely as the all mainline 767s are being phased out.!
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by TemboOne
No specific background or references re the 777s; just personal experiences, and worse more recently.

Back in 2008 we had no problem with AC's 777s, but in the past few years it's become a real problem for us, to the point where we could become paranoid at the risk of going to somewhere like TLV on the Dreamliner, only to be stuck when we find the return metal has changed.

OK, admittedly we are in our 70s and may be more vulnerable to whatever is "going around" but it just seems that the 777s a/c system recirculates the same germ-laden stale air hour after hour. Never had the same problem on the 787 or 767 - but unfortunately in the 767s case the J pods have not been upgraded, likely as the all mainline 767s are being phased out.!
i would be quite surprised if the 767 had a filtration system that reduced the number of germs caught by one person compared to a much newer 777 in a statistically significant way. Id be quite surprised if there was a big difference between any aircraft tbh other than larger aircraft = more germ infested passengers so higher chance of something virulent on board. So many germs are also only spread by surface contact. I understand your opinion. However, unless there’s some evidence, colour me skeptical there’s a statistical difference in the airborne germs.

Happy to be proven wrong!
gcashin likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:44 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
One could get away saying they prefer 787 air vs 777 air, but I think you are being paranoid if you think the air circulation system on 767 which was designed in the 80s is better than 777. I hope the below article can calm your fears. I'm sure there are many other sources online that can help you.

Airplane air: not as bad as you think - Travel - Travel Tips | NBC News
gcashin and Diabeetus like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Also of course I recognise that the vast majority of FTers are still working and travelling on business, and as such you pretty much have to accept whatever flights may be available to your intended destination.
I'd disagree with the "vast majority" comment. There are many members here who travel primarily for business, but also many of the higher (Altitude, if not social) status members travel primarily for leisure or simply because they like to fly. Myself: more of my flights are for business purposes, but the vast majority of my accumulated miles are from leisure trips.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Question So will AC9/10 767 be replaced by 788 in 2019?

Just expanding on my op question/comments, I see two possibly conflicting pieces of information and am hoping that someone much better informed than I am can help clarify.

In one case we hear that the 767s are almost completely phased out, even in Rouge, yet for next year AC's own booking schedule shows AC9/10 operating with 767s right into September YYZ-YYC-NRT-YYC-YYZ!

The predicament is if it's still a 767 we can stay in Y but if there is an equipment change to 788 then change to PE or J!

Any experts out there have any insight or info that you are at liberty to disclose?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AC 35k
Just expanding on my op question/comments, I see two possibly conflicting pieces of information and am hoping that someone much better informed than I am can help clarify.

In one case we hear that the 767s are almost completely phased out, even in Rouge, yet for next year AC's own booking schedule shows AC9/10 operating with 767s right into September YYZ-YYC-NRT-YYC-YYZ!

The predicament is if it's still a 767 we can stay in Y but if there is an equipment change to 788 then change to PE or J!

Any experts out there have any insight or info that you are at liberty to disclose?

Thanks in advance!
As far as we know the 767 will remain in the fleet to finish the seasonal flight. All 767-300s will leave by the end of 2019. If it does switch to a 788 I'll be thrilled as it means higher chance of it sticking around in 2020.

767 will remain at Rouge for the foreseeable future. Only exiting mainline - they lose 6 763s but gain 2 789s and 4 333s.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Thank you YXUflyboy!

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy

As far as we know the 767 will remain in the fleet to finish the seasonal flight. All 767-300s will leave by the end of 2019. If it does switch to a 788 I'll be thrilled as it means higher chance of it sticking around in 2020.

767 will remain at Rouge for the foreseeable future. Only exiting mainline - they lose 6 763s but gain 2 789s and 4 333s.
Looks like it's going to be 12HK westbound and 12AC eastbound again on the 767 early fall!
If they do switch to the 788 I hope we'll be allowed to buy-up to the same seats in PY!
Travelling late season is always a bit dicey for equipment changes, and yes, agree with you re the 788 for 2020.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Being yyc based, I've been going to NRT via YVR to fly on the 789.

1) My wife and I prefer 787 J to 767 J.
2) once our kid was over 2, I flew in PY with her. There is no PY on the 767.

The first positive change for me was YVR-KIX going mainline. 788/9 for YYC-NRT would be awesome.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The 787's advantage is related to the ability to set the cabin altitude lower and the humidification system. In this way, it is basically better than any airplane flying - including the A350. The windows are love em or hate em (I love em). They aren't otherwise superior to the 777, and the J cabin is actually more spacious on the 777. Also, in a fleet where the oldest plane is 11 years old, you really can't call AC's 777s "old."
m.y, gcashin and nexusCFX like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.