Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I really don't understand the complaints to Air Canada on twitter sometimes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I really don't understand the complaints to Air Canada on twitter sometimes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:03 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
There is no need for a special concierge when regular phone and especially lounge agents are empowered to help a customer by bending the rules during IRROPS. Sadly not the case in "i m afraid i m going to get fired" culture at AC.
Well, UA agents(phone/gate)were not empowered to help me, so I called AC concierge and they solved my UA problem. So maybe UA culture is worse than AC’s?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:07 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
...and few people will comment when AC goes above and beyond. Some flights from YUL and YOW were diverted to MIA yesterday due to WX in MCO and AC bused passengers between MIA and MCO when it was clear that they could not continue the flight to MCO after all (at least that's what they did according to EF)
Except that's not "above and beyond." That should be normal practice.

And for what it is worth for all my complaints and criticisms of Air Canada I have in fact regularly posted several stories where they actually have gone above and beyond. A cancelled SYD-YVR flight was one example. And it still is.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by 5mm
Well, UA agents(phone/gate)were not empowered to help me

And they shouldnt. You are a UA nobody. I was talking about status pax. Especially mid-tier status pax. What/who do AC 25k-99k flyers have to solve their issues?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by j2simpso
grad student attending conferences worldwide or a professor attending conferences/on sabbatical
That's just low-tier business travel, especially if there are time constraints. Except the job is exceptionally fun (for some) and they love doing it through thick and thin...
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:12 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu

And they shouldnt. You are a UA nobody. I was talking about status pax. Especially mid-tier status pax. What/who do AC 25k-99k flyers have to solve their issues?
I love your dble standard.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by yyznomad

One of my most memorable Concierge experiences was while I was at RDU, for a flight out of RDU, of all places... the concierge team saved my bacon (and eggs) big time that day... and this was for something that could have been arguably my fault. (And what they did to help me was something I hadn't even asked for or considered... they just did it and I was gobsmacked and grateful)
You’ve piqued my curiosity. Can we have more details, or is this already covered in another post?

I hope AC has lifted the “you will be fired if you can’t justify why you did abc” attitude.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Academic travel is different than both leisure and business travel. Generally speaking the conferences and places you are going to are known well in advance (as much as 6 months) and there's little to no need for changes meaning generally you can get the lowest fare/hotel room.
Originally Posted by msp3
That's just low-tier business travel, especially if there are time constraints. Except the job is exceptionally fun (for some) and they love doing it through thick and thin...
I'm all academic travel, and I agree with msp3's take. I may know some date/location information far in advance, but may not be able to shed enough other obligations to decide to go until fares go up and availability goes down. Some of my dissemination work is short notice. The venues are not inexpensive. If your purpose to attend is networking and the event's at a Hyatt, then staying 2km away at a Knight's Inn isn't going to do it. The conferences themselves are often extortionately priced. I just mainly hold my nose and pay.

To bring the discussion back to the thread topic, I think posts to AC on twitter have to be read as statements of opening position. If I can't reach a responsive entity another way (and in my case, twitter is about it, as I can't phone), I am going to make my case emphatically. It's not my responsibility to factor in their convenience, economics or preference. I rely on them to push back in their own interests, and find a middle ground. That doesn't mean everyone tweeting is rational (like, blaming the airline for having a hurricane) but they're not all irrational either. (If you want to see irrational, have a look at the current thread of student evaluations of professors in twitter's [at]readthesyllabus the past couple of days.)
DNAwizard likes this.

Last edited by flyquiet; Dec 21, 2018 at 8:56 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by margarita girl

You’ve piqued my curiosity. Can we have more details, or is this already covered in another post?

I hope AC has lifted the “you will be fired if you can’t justify why you did abc” attitude.
I posted about this awhile ago.... I'll let you know if I find the thread. IIRC, I didn't go into specific details though. Or I can tell you in person at a DO.

margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by 5mm

Well, UA agents(phone/gate)were not empowered to help me, so I called AC concierge and they solved my UA problem. So maybe UA culture is worse than AC’s?
you got unlucky, reality is any UA employee can do more for you than a AC concierge.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
It should not be a surprise when passengers come with their unrealistic expectations. In its response, AC offers empty platitudes and fluff and does nothing to counter passenger misconceptions or errors.
Air Canada has a weak social media presence and this is a reflection of its poor quality of communication. Many of AC's woes are of Air Canada's own doing. There is a reluctance to be honest. The AC IROP response is still pathetic despite the airline having been lambasted multiple times then promising it would improve.
AC's statements and advertising give the impression that pax will be taken care of, that they will be feasting on gourmet food and will fly in comfort. That would be fine if AC actually delivered on its bloated claims. The airline does not make clear the rules on; cabin baggage; late passenger arrival; seat reservation etc. Nor does the airline have a consistent approach to cabin baggage rule enforcement. AC (and other Canadian airlines as well) do not include an easy to follow and comprehend caution on aspects such as seats and baggage. Instead the 4+page confirmation will include bloat advertising for a rental car or hotel.

When is the last time AC in a response on seating complaints explained that the passenger had the option of purchasing a seat? When people have complained about being denied boarding, AC has not provided a specific answer in respect to the passenger's failure to follow the requirement to arrive at the gate within the time window etc. Often we read about passengers crying that they arrived and the aircraft was still at the gate, but the door was closed. Just once I would like AC to explain that once the door has closed and the aircraft disengaged from the gate and ready for pushback that stopping the procedure to load someone can add another 20 minutes+ and delay other customers. AC public relations still do not understand the benefits of being truthful.

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I respectfully disagree. There are many ways to get in touch with someone who can help. Theses include emailing the Concierge or calling the SE number.
For non SEs, many of whom have paid more for their ticket than an SE, your response dismisses their reality . This is not how it works for them. I am "Gold" status at AC and almost all my flights are in business. There are few ways for me to get in touch with someone who can help. The concierges are unreachable, and the only options I usually have when there are IROPS are to call in and wait 1 hour plus on hold or to line up with hundreds/thousands of others. The online rebooking tool is often of no help, and waiting in line with hundreds of others is an exercise in futility especially if one needs to void one's bladder one hour in on a line that isn't moving. Do you not understand that AC has intentionally misrepresented and advertised its concierge service? Please tell me and thousands of other non SE business class passengers how we are to contact a concierge. We are not provided with a concierge phone number ,nor a concierge email. The reality is that Air Canada DOES NOT inform its business class passengers how they may contact a concierge. NEVER ever have I received a note to that effect, nor a note on my ticket, nor a comment at checkin from an agent. Just how do you expect me and other non SEs to contact the concierge?

Originally Posted by CanRulez
Yes, and that's great for SE's like us.
But if you're a P25K or E35K, or heaven forbid, someone with no-status, they make you pound sand.
Indeed. Some years ago, despite my being E35 in paid business class on a TPAC, I was basically abandoned by AC with no communication, Awful service, which is why I went out of my way to fly EVA for years, forgoing SE status and the option of pickles and vile plonk with broken tortilla chips in the MLLs. Thank you for understanding what it is like for us regular traveling folk.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 22, 2018 at 12:55 pm Reason: off topic
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by KenHamer
I respectfully disagree. Even in the good ol' days there were times when I was unable to contact a concierge and the SE desk could not help me.

The SE desk wanted to help me. But they were sometimes stymied by other departments.

Like the time Portland, Maine became greater than 500 miles from Boston and was therefore ineligible as an alternate airport during IROPS.

Or the time I was on a full fare J ticket and they couldn't protect me on a flight because the only 2 open seats were both in business class.

Shall I continue?

If that was an SE's experience one can only imagine what an infrequent flyer might encounter.
Hey Ken,

Do you ever forgive and move on? You seem to want to live in the past every day, week and month reminding us of how awful air canada has been to you.

Crap happens. All airlines suck at various times. You can choose to either forgive and be happy you can get from point A to B with relatively safety and ease, or you can let it eat you up and bother you so much you need to constantly remind everyone here over and over again how horrible you've been treated.

Merry Christmas!
canadiancow and 5mm like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl

My experience was a huge difference after the AQD requirement went into effect.

The two 2018 examples I've heard and experienced that immediately come to mind:

1. SE hits traffic on the way to airport, misses flight. Concierge provides a hotel. (Flexible ticket, so the rebooking wasn't anything special)
2. Concierge tried to reroute me during EYW, but system gave an error about certain cities being too far away from the fare rules (think YYT-YQX-YYT-YDF being rerouted to YYT-YHZ-YYZ-YXU). Acknowledged it could be overridden, but there would be an audit. Thought about it for a few minutes, then decided to do it.

In general I've found hotel rules to be massively relaxed lately. I posted about this before, but I got my mom a hotel in YYZ after flying SFO-YYZ (final leg of the ticket) because it was delayed 3 hours for mechanical reasons, and she was basically stranded there that late. It wasn't even what I was asking for. I was looking for advice from them on transportation options at midnight, and they offered the hotel.

Originally Posted by mellon
you got unlucky, reality is any UA employee can do more for you than a AC concierge.
Any UA employee can give me a hotel because I missed my flight? Okay.

UA employees won't even give me a hotel for weather-induced overnights while in transit.

There are lots of things UA does better than AC, but it's bizarre to suggest that someone entitled to concierge access would be better served by UA.

I have two child-of-GS friends who have both flown AC with me and UA with their parents. One says I get treated better than his GS dad. The other thinks it's roughly equal.

I have a friend who is about to qualify for GS (I don't know when it kicks in). He's flown AC with me a few times. I intend to fly UA with him a few times if only to check out that side of things. I have no personal experience flying "as a GS" yet, but I hope to gain a better understanding.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Any UA employee can give me a hotel because I missed my flight? Okay.
UA employees won't even give me a hotel for weather-induced overnights while in transit..
Actually, yes they can, beacuse its policy for top tier (even in Y for weather), as well as *G in intl business.
Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

And noone said that someone entitled to a concierge will be better taken care of by UA. The issue was the 25k-99k elite who is told to go fend for themselves by AC.

What does AC give for a *G in business during a weather delay? Like someone has said upthread, how does someone in business even know they can call a concierge?
mellon likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by jazzsax
Hey Ken,

Do you ever forgive and move on? You seem to want to live in the past every day, week and month reminding us of how awful air canada has been to you.
One of the things I learned as a business executive is that you can undo in five minutes the loyalty and goodwill of an employee that takes five years to build. The same applies to clients and customers. Once this happens, it can take ten years or more of hard work to bring them back.

I’m with Ken. After the way AC has treated me, admittedly on only a few occasions, they still have a long way to go to win back my full respect.
shadowspar and mellon like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Sopwith

One of the things I learned as a business executive is that you can undo in five minutes the loyalty and goodwill of an employee that takes five years to build. The same applies to clients and customers. Once this happens, it can take ten years or more of hard work to bring them back.

I’m with Ken. After the way AC has treated me, admittedly on only a few occasions, they still have a long way to go to win back my full respect.
Some company being dead to you is one thing. Ken makes a point of trolling this AC forum to comment on how horrible AC was a decade ago and that he currently does not ever fly it.. Which is all of unhealthy to him, unfair to the AC of today and insulting to AC flyers of today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.