Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Upfare strategies from the veterans

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upfare strategies from the veterans

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso
most flight passes book into Flex
No they do not. I suspect that fewer than 1/3 of FPs book into Flex.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
+1,000
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I have an upcoming N fare, that was booked using a 15% off discount code (from IRROPS due to a flight going mechanical).

The price for P fares on that date have come down quite a bit. Is it possible to upfare the ticket to P and keep the 15% off?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I have an upcoming N fare, that was booked using a 15% off discount code (from IRROPS due to a flight going mechanical).

The price for P fares on that date have come down quite a bit. Is it possible to upfare the ticket to P and keep the 15% off?
@Diabeetus
You pay the difference to whatever the P fare is and what you paid for the discounted N.

When the revised ticket arrives, it will be in the old AC format so sometimes a little hard to dissect the numbers, but you'll see the total new base bare, the difference in taxes and the balance owing, that is, the amount extra you pay.

Please let us know how it goes.

P.S. I really wish we had a single thread for the Upfare / Upsell information and rules, to make it easier for everyone to search. And yes, the title of this thread below is "change fees" but the Upfare/Upsell rules are listed.

Change Fees for Up-fare

Last edited by 24left; Jan 11, 2019 at 2:39 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
@Diabeetus
You pay the difference to whatever the P fare is and what you paid for the discounted N.

Please let us know how it goes.
Thanks @24left. So unfortunately the 15% off discount will not applied to the new P ticket. I will not pull the trigger yet then.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Thanks @24left. So unfortunately the 15% off discount will not applied to the new P ticket. I will not pull the trigger yet then.
@Diabeetus
I would call AC and ask them for the recalculated total cost and then make your decision. If the 15% of base is applied to the P fare you are trying to upsell to, please report back as a data point. Much appreciated.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
I would be surprised if the upfare would inherit the previous 15% discount. That's since I have the experience of buying a ticket, applying x% off; then later needing to change the ticket, and not getting 15% off on the additional difference in fare payable. The agent's claim was that the x% was a one-off applied to the initial purchase, not something that persisted for a reissue of the ticket on the same reservation. I would expect the same would apply to a pure upfare. But good luck, maybe I'm wrong!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:30 am

The upfare inherits the discount, even if you do it over the phone.

However, this is something that you've been able to do online for a year or two now, and the website makes it VERY clear you retain the discount.
montrealer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:39 pm
Suspended

The upfare inherits the discount, even if you do it over the phone.

However, this is something that you've been able to do online for a year or two now, and the website makes it VERY clear you retain the discount.
@Diabeetus

canadiancow is correct. I looked at a ticket which I purchased with one of those holiday 15% discounts. The discount carried over to the upfare portion, thus the whole ticket. And I called AC to reconfirm.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Of the 44 FPs available from my region (Alberta), not including the 6 world travel passes, all 44 of them have Flex as an option.

The total available fare classes across all of the 44 flight passes were:

Standard: 3
Flex: 44
Comfort: 1
Latitude: 41
Premium Economy: 6
Premium Rouge: 3
Business: 32

So it's fair to say that most flight passes can book into Flex. Unless I'm misunderstanding the disconnect here.

Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by yyckerr
So it's fair to say that most flight passes can book into Flex. Unless I'm misunderstanding the disconnect here.
The real value in the FP program is that they allow businesses to control their expenses on last-minute travel with Lat FPs, which often provide big savings per credit versus buying last-minute fares. While Flex FPs do have their uses, they don't have the same flexibility and the situations in which they provide savings over booking regular Flex tickets is more limited. canadiancow was likely saying that the vast majority of FPs sold are Lat FPs, not Flex.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Santander
The real value in the FP program is that they allow businesses to control their expenses on last-minute travel with Lat FPs, which often provide big savings per credit versus buying last-minute fares. While Flex FPs do have their uses, they don't have the same flexibility and the situations in which they provide savings over booking regular Flex tickets is more limited. canadiancow was likely saying that the vast majority of FPs sold are Lat FPs, not Flex.
No, I was actually saying that the Southwestern - Flex, Southwestern - Latitude, and Southwestern - Premium rouge are three different passes.

Most zones have 3 different passes available. Some have 2 (the student ones often have Standard and Flex), and some have 4 (some international passes have Flex, Latitude, Premium Economy, and Business Class).

But "Southwestern (Sun Destinations)" is a zone. "Southwestern - Flex" is a pass.

It would be fair to say that most zones have a Flex pass, but it is completely inaccurate to say most passes book into Flex.
yyckerr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.