Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Free Meals on AC Domestic Flights that's part of a international itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Meals on AC Domestic Flights that's part of a international itinerary?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Fill up in the lounge. It's a <5 hour flight. Time flew by even in the 7M8.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I was referring to using NEXUS/GE card to board TB flights. Interestingly, this trick doesn't work for flights into CAN/USA from outside (or at least my batting average is 0 for 2). So far tried it at LHR to YYZ and was asked to present passport. Similarly today at SIN for my flight to SFO was again asked to present passport.

At least they didn't insist I needed an ESTA to enter the US like LH did a while back, requiring me to get a supervisor involved to straighten the situation.

Safe Travels,

James
Why play games and hold up the line? You have a valid passport, which is used for traveling, use it. NEXUS and GE have specific uses not generally meant for doc verification.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly, this trick doesn't work for flights into CAN/USA from outside (or at least my batting average is 0 for 2). So far tried it at LHR to YYZ and was asked to present passport. Similarly today at SIN for my flight to SFO was again asked to present passport.
According to Timatic, nexus is not sufficient, passport is required from outside NA.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by The Lev
To expand on cow's example, if you are on an international flight and also flying the connecting domestic segment with the same flight number you get free food. If you are only flying the domestic segment or connect to a different flight number, you do not..
If it's the same flight number, then it would be a direct flight and not a connection.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If it's the same flight number, then it would be a direct flight and not a connection.
Semantically speaking you are correct, however it seemed like the most convenient way for me to explain the gist of it.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by The Lev
Semantically speaking you are correct, however it seemed like the most convenient way for me to explain the gist of it.
But what happens to such pax when,say, AC 34 is delayed SYD-YVR, a sub is made, AC 34 YVR-YYZ leaves on time and the through pax are put on a later flight with a different flight number?
marke190 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by fin 645
But what happens to such pax when,say, AC 34 is delayed SYD-YVR, a sub is made, AC 34 YVR-YYZ leaves on time and the through pax are put on a later flight with a different flight number?
Don't know for sure (never having experienced that fate), but knowing some of the limitations of AC's IT system, I suspect they lose out.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Does this apply for AC 835 (GVA-YUL-YYZ)? I was on it a few years ago but I don't remember getting any food in Y on the YUL-YYZ leg.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by marke190
Does this apply for AC 835 (GVA-YUL-YYZ)? I was on it a few years ago but I don't remember getting any food in Y on the YUL-YYZ leg.
There is no food in Y on YUL-YYZ.
Jebby_ca and marke190 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:43 am
vga

Programs: yes
Here is no free food on domestic airline is what i know for sure.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Why play games and hold up the line? You have a valid passport, which is used for traveling, use it. NEXUS and GE have specific uses not generally meant for doc verification.
I have never , ever understood why people do this.

It is almost like they do it, just to see what will happen and slow down the line. There was a point when Nexus was still new'ish and while it was a valid form of ID, not all GAs knew that (especially in outstations) and people would still pull it out, just to argue rather than just grabbing their password and get on the plane.
m.y, Santander and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I have never , ever understood why people do this.

It is almost like they do it, just to see what will happen and slow down the line. There was a point when Nexus was still new'ish and while it was a valid form of ID, not all GAs knew that (especially in outstations) and people would still pull it out, just to argue rather than just grabbing their password and get on the plane.
Cause it's much easier to put a Nexus card back in your wallet than a passport. I'm always worried about misplacing my passport!

-James
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cause it's much easier to put a Nexus card back in your wallet than a passport. I'm always worried about misplacing my passport!

-James
Be that as it may, those IDs are not valid for international flights boarding.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: TK *G
The exact rule is that if you travel on a direct (same flight number, doesn’t have to be non stop) international flight with a domestic segment, then LT07 will show up on your BP so you can get a free meal for the domestic Y segment.

AC33/34 is the most common one. YYZ-YOW/YUL-Europe flights I am not sure how it works as the domestic segment is very short.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Be that as it may, those IDs are not valid for international flights boarding.
It's debatable. Certainly within North America to within North America it's valid since it's a WHTI compliant form of identification. Outside The region then yeah. Doesn't hurt to try!

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.