Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Free Meals on AC Domestic Flights that's part of a international itinerary?

Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Hello again,

I'm flying SIN to YYZ today on a ticket issued by UA (all in Y). The first segment, SIN to SFO is operated by UA whilst the second segment SFO -> YYZ is operated by AC. My understanding of the hidden rules of AC is that when you have a domestic segment that's part of a international itinerary you get a free meal. Is that hidden rule correct or is there more nuance to the application of the rule?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
No. When you book AC 33 YYZ-SYD with a stop, you get free food on YYZ-YVR.

If you want food, pay for it.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Geez! Next thing you know you'll tell me they won't accept my CO drink coupons for purchase of booze on the flight!

-James
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:15 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
So the itinerary is SIN-SFO-YYZ? Then there is no domestic segment as US and CA are (at this very moment) 2 separate countries.

I believe it depends on the fare. If you have Latitude (or whatever they call it now) fare, there will be a code (something like LA7) on the boarding pass and you can get something from the BOB trolley for free. The other exception is when you travel YYZ-SYD. As the plane stops in YVR you get free meal also on the YYZ-YVR segment.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:18 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Geez! Next thing you know you'll tell me they won't accept my CO drink coupons for purchase of booze on the flight!

-James
Yep - this sounds about right - AC will not accept your CO coupons
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
So the itinerary is SIN-SFO-YYZ? Then there is no domestic segment as US and CA are (at this very moment) 2 separate countries.
Any flight which you can board without showing a passport is a domestic one in my books

-James
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Any flight which you can board without showing a passport is a domestic one in my books

-James
i hate to disappoint you but you’ll definitely need to show a passport or a NEXUS/GE card to board your SFO-YYZ flight.

Santander, oh_lol and kaffir76 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Hello again,
My understanding of the hidden rules of AC is that when you have a domestic segment that's part of a international itinerary you get a free meal. Is that hidden rule correct or is there more nuance to the application of the rule?

Safe Travels,

James
The situation where this applies is:
International premium economy. Domestic segments will book into B (latitude). So either you can confirm a business upgrade at the time of booking, or you will have an LT07 on your boarding pass for your meal if you stay in economy.
Santander likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
i hate to disappoint you but you’ll definitely need to show a passport or a NEXUS/GE card to board your SFO-YYZ flight.
I was referring to using NEXUS/GE card to board TB flights. Interestingly, this trick doesn't work for flights into CAN/USA from outside (or at least my batting average is 0 for 2). So far tried it at LHR to YYZ and was asked to present passport. Similarly today at SIN for my flight to SFO was again asked to present passport.

At least they didn't insist I needed an ESTA to enter the US like LH did a while back, requiring me to get a supervisor involved to straighten the situation.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Lol. AC doesn't even give free food to SEs, and you wanted free food as a nobody???
gcashin and quantumofforce like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Lol. AC doesn't even give free food to SEs, and you wanted free food as a nobody???
I'll have you know I'm a Gold on UA! Joking aside, I've found that my status has had some impact on how AC treats me, some recent examples:
  • EWR -> YUL back in April was oversold in Y and I was op-up'd to J
  • Received a $10 meal voucher from the MLL after complaining about delayed flight
  • Whilst traveling to MAN on Rogue, I used the J check-in island so that I didn't have to lay eyes on the kettles during check in!
Also it's not very nice to compare AC to UA and others that provide such perks to their super-elites. It's like tiring a pork chop directly in front of a dog and watching them chase after it!

-James
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I was referring to using NEXUS/GE card to board TB flights. Interestingly, this trick doesn't work for flights into CAN/USA from outside (or at least my batting average is 0 for 2). So far tried it at LHR to YYZ and was asked to present passport. Similarly today at SIN for my flight to SFO was again asked to present passport.

At least they didn't insist I needed an ESTA to enter the US like LH did a while back, requiring me to get a supervisor involved to straighten the situation.
Despite the fact that only a NEXUS is required to fly on TB flights, the US carriers constantly try and argue otherwise, as their training is quite poor on this. Even out of Canada, they can be obnoxious.

Also, I had an AAgent at SAN outright argue with me that I needed an eTA for Canada as an American, despite that being manifestly untrue and specifically published. I had to repeatedly argue with her and she finally said "oh, looks like you already have one," to save face .
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
No. When you book AC 33 YYZ-SYD with a stop, you get free food on YYZ-YVR.

If you want food, pay for it.
To expand on cow's example, if you are on an international flight and also flying the connecting domestic segment with the same flight number you get free food. If you are only flying the domestic segment or connect to a different flight number, you do not..
gcashin likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
EWR -> YUL back in April was oversold in Y and I was op-up'd to J
That seems to be a frequent occurence for UA elites. I've gotten opups on AC when their own elites were walking to the back (proud tag wearers)

As for food - just get to 1K, and you ll never go hungry again.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by rankourabu
That seems to be a frequent occurence for UA elites. I've gotten opups on AC when their own elites were walking to the back (proud tag wearers)

As for food - just get to 1K, and you ll never go hungry again.

Glad to see that this is true......always thought so! wow Next time when i walk to the back of the plane i will take my tag off my bag and walk in shame as AC expects !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.