Garment Bag as carry on?

Reply

Old Dec 16, 18, 12:04 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 10
Garment Bag as carry on?

Hi all,

Don't typically require traveling with a suit, however flying AC PE YYZ>SYD coming up and will need to do just that. My question is, I am likely to have a backpack and maybe a small roller bag as well. If that is the case I assume I cannot carry on the garment bag as that would already be 2 carry ons(I'm E75K if it matters)?

If I do carry it on, is it typically possible to have it hung during the flight, or is that usually a business class only thing?

TIA!
w_mcd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 12:35 am
  #2  
5mm
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 206
Originally Posted by w_mcd View Post
Hi all,

Don't typically require traveling with a suit, however flying AC PE YYZ>SYD coming up and will need to do just that. My question is, I am likely to have a backpack and maybe a small roller bag as well. If that is the case I assume I cannot carry on the garment bag as that would already be 2 carry ons(I'm E75K if it matters)?

If I do carry it on, is it typically possible to have it hung during the flight, or is that usually a business class only thing?

TIA!
itís usually a J class thing. Small chance if you are flying PY.
5mm is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 1:00 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 476
I see people in Y hand off those to be hung by AC FAs all the time... admittedly I've only seen it on narrow bodies where pax board in front of J cabin. Often FAs proactively ask them during boarding if they need it hung! But then the FAs are slow to realize I took off my light coat in J and don't want to hold it in front of myself for 3 hours -_-
Nazdoom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 7:37 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 4,231
I've had success with this method to fold a suit and put it in a suitcase.

https://magazine.brooksbrothers.com/how-to-pack-a-suit/
Badenoch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 8:39 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YQR
Posts: 2,228
Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
I've had success with this method to fold a suit and put it in a suitcase.

https://magazine.brooksbrothers.com/how-to-pack-a-suit/

Iíve used a similar method many, many times. The suits always come out in perfect condition.
arf04 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 9:42 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: YVR TLS
Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, Marriott Plat
Posts: 650
Originally Posted by arf04 View Post



Iíve used a similar method many, many times. The suits always come out in perfect condition.
This is great advice, thanx for the two posts and the link!
james dean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 9:50 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YQR
Posts: 2,228
Originally Posted by james dean View Post
This is great advice, thanx for the two posts and the link!
Badenoch should be thanked...

A few years back I simply googled and found a few good methods. Itís surprising how easy it is to have suits come out of a suitcase in fine shape. One site I read, cited the method as an old butlerís trick.

The event where crew seem to bend over backward to ensure that a garment bag gets well taken care of is when itís a wedding dress. Those bags are extra long, but the FAs always seem to get quite excited about them. Last summer, one FA stowed the wedding dress in the crew locker on the Q400 we were flying on. Itís a little more of a singular event than guys carrying suits around!

Badenoch likes this.
arf04 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 10:33 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Canada
Programs: Aeroplan E50, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Posts: 1,414
Not sure what make your carry on is but my Briggs has a removable inset for suits. I’ve never tried it but salesperson highly recommended it. Perhaps it’s possible to acquire such a thing for other luggage brands.

Last edited by Bartolo; Dec 16, 18 at 6:29 pm
Bartolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 10:39 am
  #9  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Body in YYZ, heart in YYG
Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Posts: 1,883
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
Not sure what make your carry on is but my Briggs has a removable inset for suits. I’ve never tried it but salesperson highly recommended it. Perhaps it’s pissible to acquire such a thing for other luggage brands.
I have a B&R widebody 20-inch rollaboard with the suit nest and it works fantastic, I use it all the time. I fold the jacket similarly to what you see in Badenoch's link above .. hang the suit for an hour or so when you get to the hotel and you would never know it's been in a bag, even after long-hauls. Highly, highly recommended.
Symmetre is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 10:45 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 20,524
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
Not sure what make your carry on is but my Briggs has a removable inset for suits. Iíve never tried it but salesperson highly recommended it. Perhaps itís pissible to acquire such a thing for other luggage brands.
While I don't often travel with a suit, indeed the B @ R insert does a great job.
Stranger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 10:48 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: YYZ most of the time
Programs: AC SE100K MM, UA*1K, Princess Elite
Posts: 3,689
Originally Posted by w_mcd View Post
I am likely to have a backpack and maybe a small roller bag as well. If that is the case I assume I cannot carry on the garment bag as that would already be 2 carry ons(I'm E75K if it matters)?
The rules are there and IMHO should apply to everyone regardless of status and/or cabin.

It drives me up the wall when I travel within the rules and I see gate agents letting other Zone 1 flyers board with just about everything.

1 carry on, 1 personal item. That's it!
Stranger, The Lev and flyquiet like this.
yyz_atc_qq is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 12:04 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq View Post
The rules are there and IMHO should apply to everyone regardless of status and/or cabin.

It drives me up the wall when I travel within the rules and I see gate agents letting other Zone 1 flyers board with just about everything.

1 carry on, 1 personal item. That's it!
I assumes that was the case, but when I was looking at garment bags specifically online there was conflicting messages as to what to do with the bag, hence coming here before turning myself into one of those people who seems to have everything on the plane with them, which is also an annoyance of mine.
w_mcd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 12:25 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
Posts: 185
I have often had items hung in the locker when flying Y. I ask with a smile if there is any room left would they mind and I get one of two answers, either "sorry it is full with J class jackets etc". or "sure no problem just remind me at the end of the flight that it is there".

What I don't like is when I fly Rouge and wear a blazer there is no locker to hang anything in.

I also endorse the folding method above. It is easier than it looks and there are a multitude of youtube videos on how to do it including this one:

​​​​​​
MQS007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 2:16 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Programs: AC E50k
Posts: 12
I’ve gone both ways - suit folding and garment bag. My garment bag (
link link
) fits a load of stuff. Ample clothing for a week long business trip. I pack this and my backpack or roller for overseas and usually come home with clean clothes. Both methods have been fine for wrinkles and I use the overhead bin. Just let your suit hang when you get to your hotel.

Have a great trip!
Jsteezy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 18, 2:19 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Posts: 26,111
Originally Posted by Nazdoom View Post
I see people in Y hand off those to be hung by AC FAs all the time... admittedly I've only seen it on narrow bodies where pax board in front of J cabin. Often FAs proactively ask them during boarding if they need it hung! But then the FAs are slow to realize I took off my light coat in J and don't want to hold it in front of myself for 3 hours -_-
This.

OP, YMMV.
yyznomad is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: