Search

Garment Bag as carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Garment Bag as carry on?

Hi all,

Don't typically require traveling with a suit, however flying AC PE YYZ>SYD coming up and will need to do just that. My question is, I am likely to have a backpack and maybe a small roller bag as well. If that is the case I assume I cannot carry on the garment bag as that would already be 2 carry ons(I'm E75K if it matters)?

If I do carry it on, is it typically possible to have it hung during the flight, or is that usually a business class only thing?

TIA!
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:35 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by w_mcd
Hi all,

Don't typically require traveling with a suit, however flying AC PE YYZ>SYD coming up and will need to do just that. My question is, I am likely to have a backpack and maybe a small roller bag as well. If that is the case I assume I cannot carry on the garment bag as that would already be 2 carry ons(I'm E75K if it matters)?

If I do carry it on, is it typically possible to have it hung during the flight, or is that usually a business class only thing?

TIA!
it’s usually a J class thing. Small chance if you are flying PY.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:00 am

I see people in Y hand off those to be hung by AC FAs all the time... admittedly I've only seen it on narrow bodies where pax board in front of J cabin. Often FAs proactively ask them during boarding if they need it hung! But then the FAs are slow to realize I took off my light coat in J and don't want to hold it in front of myself for 3 hours -_-
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I've had success with this method to fold a suit and put it in a suitcase.

https://magazine.brooksbrothers.com/how-to-pack-a-suit/
Symmetre, Bohemian1, w_mcd and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I've had success with this method to fold a suit and put it in a suitcase.

https://magazine.brooksbrothers.com/how-to-pack-a-suit/

I’ve used a similar method many, many times. The suits always come out in perfect condition.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by arf04

I’ve used a similar method many, many times. The suits always come out in perfect condition.
This is great advice, thanx for the two posts and the link!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by james dean
This is great advice, thanx for the two posts and the link!
Badenoch should be thanked...

A few years back I simply googled and found a few good methods. It’s surprising how easy it is to have suits come out of a suitcase in fine shape. One site I read, cited the method as an old butler’s trick.

The event where crew seem to bend over backward to ensure that a garment bag gets well taken care of is when it’s a wedding dress. Those bags are extra long, but the FAs always seem to get quite excited about them. Last summer, one FA stowed the wedding dress in the crew locker on the Q400 we were flying on. It’s a little more of a singular event than guys carrying suits around!

Badenoch likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Not sure what make your carry on is but my Briggs has a removable inset for suits. I’ve never tried it but salesperson highly recommended it. Perhaps it’s possible to acquire such a thing for other luggage brands.

Last edited by Bartolo; Dec 16, 2018 at 5:29 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Not sure what make your carry on is but my Briggs has a removable inset for suits. I’ve never tried it but salesperson highly recommended it. Perhaps it’s pissible to acquire such a thing for other luggage brands.
I have a B&R widebody 20-inch rollaboard with the suit nest and it works fantastic, I use it all the time. I fold the jacket similarly to what you see in Badenoch's link above .. hang the suit for an hour or so when you get to the hotel and you would never know it's been in a bag, even after long-hauls. Highly, highly recommended.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Not sure what make your carry on is but my Briggs has a removable inset for suits. I’ve never tried it but salesperson highly recommended it. Perhaps it’s pissible to acquire such a thing for other luggage brands.
While I don't often travel with a suit, indeed the B @ R insert does a great job.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by w_mcd
I am likely to have a backpack and maybe a small roller bag as well. If that is the case I assume I cannot carry on the garment bag as that would already be 2 carry ons(I'm E75K if it matters)?
The rules are there and IMHO should apply to everyone regardless of status and/or cabin.

It drives me up the wall when I travel within the rules and I see gate agents letting other Zone 1 flyers board with just about everything.

1 carry on, 1 personal item. That's it!
Stranger, flyquiet and The Lev like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
The rules are there and IMHO should apply to everyone regardless of status and/or cabin.

It drives me up the wall when I travel within the rules and I see gate agents letting other Zone 1 flyers board with just about everything.

1 carry on, 1 personal item. That's it!
I assumes that was the case, but when I was looking at garment bags specifically online there was conflicting messages as to what to do with the bag, hence coming here before turning myself into one of those people who seems to have everything on the plane with them, which is also an annoyance of mine.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
I have often had items hung in the locker when flying Y. I ask with a smile if there is any room left would they mind and I get one of two answers, either "sorry it is full with J class jackets etc". or "sure no problem just remind me at the end of the flight that it is there".

What I don't like is when I fly Rouge and wear a blazer there is no locker to hang anything in.

I also endorse the folding method above. It is easier than it looks and there are a multitude of youtube videos on how to do it including this one:

​​​​​​
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC E50k
I’ve gone both ways - suit folding and garment bag. My garment bag (
link link
) fits a load of stuff. Ample clothing for a week long business trip. I pack this and my backpack or roller for overseas and usually come home with clean clothes. Both methods have been fine for wrinkles and I use the overhead bin. Just let your suit hang when you get to your hotel.

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
I see people in Y hand off those to be hung by AC FAs all the time... admittedly I've only seen it on narrow bodies where pax board in front of J cabin. Often FAs proactively ask them during boarding if they need it hung! But then the FAs are slow to realize I took off my light coat in J and don't want to hold it in front of myself for 3 hours -_-
This.

OP, YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.