Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Garment Bag as carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I almost always travel with at least one suit jacket in my (checked) luggage and it travels fine. It's not like a garment bag doesn't get crushed either. It's just crushed in a hanging position. I figure, plan for hanging it and possibly steaming it in the bathroom on arrival. Back 30 years ago, my father used to fly long haul to China (no lie flats in the day) and he would always fly in the suit because, he said, it was the easiest way to transport the suit to China. Packing and unpacking has always worked fine for me.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by w_mcd
I assumes that was the case, but when I was looking at garment bags specifically online there was conflicting messages as to what to do with the bag, hence coming here before turning myself into one of those people who seems to have everything on the plane with them, which is also an annoyance of mine.
There are the rules then there is reality.

The gate agents and in-cabin staff have priorities. Getting everyone seated, happy and the flight out takes precedence over the bag rules. They should not put economy baggage in the business class bins and closet, however if there is space and it is not impacting the business class passengers they will.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
This was discussed before (couldn't find link on quick google search).

Whenever I'm travelling for work, I often supplement limited space in my carry-on by using a garment bag (nothing fancy, just the ones the suits come in, the Harry Rosen ones are nice and thick with multiple pockets). I then put couple of extra shirts even in there, and have never ever had an issue placing it in the closet. I've done this at least 20 times and never been told I cannot. Majority of the time I an in Y. On narrow and wide bodies.
One time I even forgot, put it in the overhead bin, and on final check asked FA to place it in the closet. Obliged without issue.

Only difference is when in J- I get a tag and also asked if the jacket I'm wearing should be taken. It is then returned to me at the end of the flight. In Y, just reminded not to forget it on the way out.

Last edited by YVRYEGYVR; Dec 16, 2018 at 8:32 pm Reason: small addition.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum
Anyone know if there's a place to hang a garment bag when flying J on a 737-8?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.