PPS Service on AC?

Old Dec 16, 18, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
Customer service on SQ is better than customer service on AC - who knew?
Old Dec 16, 18, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
Oh, I know all about PPS benefits - I was less than 2 years away from lifetime PPS when they cancelled that benefit.
Since then, my SQ flying has been sharply reduced.
You and GHT Sr were prob burned at the same time. He just said F this, I'm going to CX/KA instead. Believe his friends had to fight in court to get their lifetime status grandfathered of some sort.

That whole experience has changed my view about these lifetime status programs. Simply wouldnt trust they would honor them if cost cutting became serious.
Old Dec 16, 18, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Heck even if it's not rare for them to be doing so, I'd argue it still makes sense. A frequent flyer by definition will be on planes a ton of times (i.e. ua1flyer). You can't tell me with a straight face that they'll always travel in J when it's available. For short haul sectors where the fare differential is high it simply doesn't make sense to fly in J (i.e. would you pay $2,000 to fly J from YYZ to ORD as a GS?). I wouldn't be surprised if many PPS members fly 25% of their flights in Y on SQ. I suspect, that frequent flyers open their wallets up on those long haul segments where the benefits of having a lie flat seat, work area and quality lounge make tons of sense. Would love to hear actual frequent flyers preferences on these.

Safe Travels,

James
Wrong..... Many of those on business purchase open J class tickets even for short haul (Jakarta, Taipei, Shanghai, Beijing, HK, Singapore etc are pretty damn popular routes).

The business people I know would usually have several open tickets that can be deployed on their most convenient timing. That said sometimes if urgency came means a downgrade to Y as well.

As for their personal travel, yes I hear it's typically Y or even no frills. Nevertheless, they can always change their mind and fly others (ie. UA, CX, MH, BR etc instead of SQ), hence reason why you don't wanna piss them off even in Y class.

Very same reason why transcon flights have F, C, Y and flight pass products.

As for PPS, Y fares do not count towards PPS $ status. Y class BIS will just accumulate regular Kris Flyer mileage/status. There were also other rules like codesharing had to be SQ-numbered to qualify etc.....
Old Dec 16, 18, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyquiet View Post
I'm AC*G and I have a perfectly lovely attitude, and even when I am in J, am ignored 50% of the time, and the other half the time, they're just offering me a personal performance of the safety dance.
How do we know you've got a perfectly lovely attitude? You gotta show us the number of Gold stars you got from the Flight Director to prove it! It's the AC way!

Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
Oh, I know all about PPS benefits - I was less than 2 years away from lifetime PPS when they cancelled that benefit.
Since then, my SQ flying has been sharply reduced.
Yowzers! Talk about building trust and loyalty with your key customers! That seems so low and dirty - beyond the pale of most airlines who honour such things even after bankruptcy (i.e. UA with their lifetime elites and lifetime Preisdnet's Club card holders). There's something to be said about being a free agent. The thought has passed my mind a couple of times but I have stayed loyal to UA because they haven't done any dirty tricks. The moment they start doing that, DL and **gasp** AA fares may start to look attractive!

Originally Posted by global happy traveller View Post
The business people I know would usually have several open tickets that can be deployed on their most convenient timing. That said sometimes if urgency came means a downgrade to Y as well.
Very same reason why transcon flights have F, C, Y and flight pass products.

As for PPS, Y fares do not count towards PPS $ status. Y class BIS will just accumulate regular Kris Flyer mileage/status. There were also other rules like codesharing had to be SQ-numbered to qualify etc.....
Seems a bit sketchy to purchase multiple tickets as "insurance" on your business travel plans. Couldn't that be construed as fare abuse?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:01 am

How is it ticket abuse when you purposely buy full fare J or F tickets that permits maximum flexibility and all of them are used in the end. I remember each of those tickets were ~$2000-3500 for intra-Asia back in 1990s.

This is where I have issues with airlines accusing individuals of fare abuse, cause not everyone is a flying junkie and has a traditional job. We we're lucky if GHT Sr gave us a 2 hr notice that he will be flying home to see us for the wkend.

Now back to PPS, even better was Solitaire level where we get to choose gifts every year. Best one was the wine fridge!
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 6:59 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat

Yowzers! Talk about building trust and loyalty with your key customers! That seems so low and dirty - beyond the pale of most airlines who honour such things even after bankruptcy (i.e. UA with their lifetime elites and lifetime Preisdnet's Club card holders). There's something to be said about being a free agent. The thought has passed my mind a couple of times but I have stayed loyal to UA because they haven't done any dirty tricks. The moment they start doing that, DL and **gasp** AA fares may start to look attractive!
The only reason that I am a " mere" 1.5 MM'er with AC is that in the 90's and 00's most of my trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific flying was directed to SQ.
I travelled on UA/SQ RTW's, *A RTW's, and even those wonderful FEZSQ ( and CEZSQ) RTW's.
Of my over 5 million lifetime BIS miles, about 30% were AC and 30% were SQ - if only I had had a chrystal ball.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda....
Old Dec 17, 18, 7:54 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
There are many good things about the changes AC has put in place over the last few years to target high revenue/high FF status pax. One thing they still cannot get right is consistency of treatment of the "status" flyers. On some flights, it is over the top - other times, you might as well be a one time flyer using your lifetime AP points to try J. The Signature service rollout hasn't fixed that problem. Airlines like CX (to name one) are more predictable in this respect.

I don't need the OTT stuff, but it is irritating that every AC flight is a dice roll in terms of the level of service. They should be able to fix this but to date have really not made a dent.
Old Dec 17, 18, 2:52 pm

Programs: TK *G
AC is comparable to UA, DL, or LH at best, it is nowhere comparable to SQ in terms of quality. Also PBS is not comparable to Altitude.

I also find that in different countries “frequent flyers” are treated very differently.
Old Dec 17, 18, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by songsc View Post
AC is comparable to UA, DL, or LH at best, it is nowhere comparable to SQ in terms of quality. Also PBS is not comparable to Altitude.

I also find that in different countries “frequent flyers” are treated very differently.
Agreed with you on that point. In particular, the American and European airlines have nothing on the Asian airlines. I've always had wonderful service in the air and on the ground be it from SQ, NH, or the other * Asian airlines. However, looking within North America/Europe, an argument could be made that AC is one of the better ones: be it their lounges which have showers, their J product with all aisle access. Travelling in Y, UA is clearly the best of the lot, particularly if you're a Premier member since E+ is free and lightyears ahead of the Y product of the others. They also have wifi, something AC hasn't even heard of yet (I've been on 2 787s and a 777 and none of them had wifi!)

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 17, 18, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
Travelling in Y, UA is clearly the best of the lot, particularly if you're a Premier member since E+ is free and lightyears ahead of the Y product of the others. They also have wifi, something AC hasn't even heard of yet (I've been on 2 787s and a 777 and none of them had wifi!)
No.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 18, 18, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Santander View Post
No.
i disagree. To have the best UA service ever, all you need is bring your own food, blindfold yourself, listen to the instructions of the crew (whatever the flavour of it may be), bring your own entertainment and hang out w your neighbour.
Old Dec 18, 18, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Santander View Post
No.

i disagree. To have the best UA service ever, all you need is bring your own food, blindfold yourself, listen to the instructions of the crew (whatever the flavour of it may be), bring your own entertainment and hang out w your neighbour.
I disagree.
UA Y is the most bestest, not to be confused with most asbestos.
Old Dec 18, 18, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
So basically AC Y service, but with more legroom, free same day changes, and free food/booze for top tier?
Old Dec 18, 18, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
So basically AC Y service, but with more legroom, free same day changes, and free food/booze for top tier?
Those are MP benefits and not core features of UA's Y product, except E+ (which you have to pay for).

AC has free booze for Comfort fares and free food and booze for Lat fares, regardless of status. Free booze on YTZ flights, too. They also provide free same-day standby regardless of status on Rapidair, Western Triangle, and YYZ-NYC routes, which is great for business travel and can actually be handy for leisure travel, too. AC has much lower change fees. I could go on.

Obviously, UA has the edge in many regards too. More extra legroom seats in Y is a big one. (probably the one area where UA Y is among the best) Free basic seat selection is another. Most of the time, both are more survivable than enjoyable experiences. Certainly, neither is "lightyears ahead" of the other.

Last edited by Santander; Dec 18, 18 at 1:50 pm
Old Dec 18, 18, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
for MP elite, yeah just more legroom. Don’t know about the rest.... and I try not to get accused for being drunk......

Search this Thread
Search Engine: