Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Planning 2019/2020

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:28 am

IMHO, anything below *Gold is not worth caring about. *Gold gives you lounge access, priority everything and of course the coveted baggage allowance. When bad weather strikes or things go mechanical, J pax and *Golds have priority over everyone else for rebooking, accommodation, etc. And that's not even getting into the airline specific program benefits!

You should also look carefully at the *A programs. Just because you primarily fly AC doesn't mean Altitude is the best program for you! In particular, UA, OZ and A3 all offer some advantages relative to Altitude:
  • UA (United) : Virtually all fares on AC/UA/LH/LX/OZ/NH/NZ will earn 100% milage, even the cheapest STLK fares (only exception is AC where if it's Domestic and you're STLK you'll only ear 50%). Since you're Canadian you just need to tick 50,000 miles, 4 flights a year on UA then UA Gold (and hence * Gold) is all yours. They also offer a ton of UA specific benefits like complimentary upgrades and free seat selection to name but a few.
  • OZ (Asiana): Lifetime *Gold status once you hit 500,000 miles of flight across all *A partners (not just OZ) making it an achievable goal for many on the forum. You'll also earn a minimum of 2 years (up to 4 years) of *Gold once you accumulate 50,000 miles across *partners within 48 months. Accruals are similar to Altitude.
  • A3 (Aegean): Earn *Gold with only 48,000 miles of flights across * partners then keep your *Gold status by flying 24,000 miles every year. Those amounts are halved if you end up flying 4 segments on A3 during a calendar year.
I myself have chosen UA, I fly them almost exclusively since I can find cheap fares for them when I need them (i.e. $500 CAD fare between LHR and LAX return) and really appreciate the benefit of having Economy+ seating during booking for free. As for how to achieve mid to top-tier status with the least amount of money, I'd recommend looking at cheap Y fares to Asia (i.e. I've flown to HKG from YOW for $850 CAD return on UA and to SIN from YYZ for $800 CAD return on UA. Those two trips alone netted me 40,000 miles!) There are tons of opportunities to fill in the missing miles your employers can't provide you - you'd be surprised what a flight to HNL will do for you emotionally and to your milage balance in December!

Safe Travels,

James
CanRulez likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by j2simpso
IMHO, anything below *Gold is not worth caring about. *Gold gives you lounge access, priority everything and of course the coveted baggage allowance. When bad weather strikes or things go mechanical, J pax and *Golds have priority over everyone else for rebooking, accommodation, etc. And that's not even getting into the airline specific program benefits!

You should also look carefully at the *A programs. Just because you primarily fly AC doesn't mean Altitude is the best program for you! In particular, UA, OZ and A3 all offer some advantages relative to Altitude:
  • UA (United) : Virtually all fares on AC/UA/LH/LX/OZ/NH/NZ will earn 100% milage, even the cheapest STLK fares (only exception is AC where if it's Domestic and you're STLK you'll only ear 50%). Since you're Canadian you just need to tick 50,000 miles, 4 flights a year on UA then UA Gold (and hence * Gold) is all yours. They also offer a ton of UA specific benefits like complimentary upgrades and free seat selection to name but a few.
  • OZ (Asiana): Lifetime *Gold status once you hit 500,000 miles of flight across all *A partners (not just OZ) making it an achievable goal for many on the forum. You'll also earn a minimum of 2 years (up to 4 years) of *Gold once you accumulate 50,000 miles across *partners within 48 months. Accruals are similar to Altitude.
  • A3 (Aegean): Earn *Gold with only 48,000 miles of flights across * partners then keep your *Gold status by flying 24,000 miles every year. Those amounts are halved if you end up flying 4 segments on A3 during a calendar year.
I myself have chosen UA, I fly them almost exclusively since I can find cheap fares for them when I need them (i.e. $500 CAD fare between LHR and LAX return) and really appreciate the benefit of having Economy+ seating during booking for free. As for how to achieve mid to top-tier status with the least amount of money, I'd recommend looking at cheap Y fares to Asia (i.e. I've flown to HKG from YOW for $850 CAD return on UA and to SIN from YYZ for $800 CAD return on UA. Those two trips alone netted me 40,000 miles!) There are tons of opportunities to fill in the missing miles your employers can't provide you - you'd be surprised what a flight to HNL will do for you emotionally and to your milage balance in December!

Safe Travels,

James
Regarding *G, I am sure @danapop has a very good idea as s/he was once SE a few years ago, IIRC. (but I could be wrong on all accounts)
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Totally agree RE *G which was really the intent of my post. I want to hit E50. My glory days of SE sre long gone. All I really care about is priority boarding because I don’t check a bag.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by danapop
Totally agree RE *G which was really the intent of my post. I want to hit E50. My glory days of SE sre long gone. All I really care about is priority boarding because I don’t check a bag.
If priority boarding is really all you care about... then credit card it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.